EverythingSG.com
Homepage - Gallery - Spy  
Go Back   EverythingSG.com > ESG Community > The Backstage
Heritage Guitar Talk - Click here! LIKE everythingSG on Facebook

Like Tree10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 11-26-2012, 07:03 PM   #1 (permalink)

a little support for ex-smoker

Hey. I'll turn 30 in a few days so I'm clearing my 'to do before 30' list. One of them things was to quit smoking, becouse I smoked two packs a day and it really started to show on my health (not to mention finances...)

I'm using the Allen Carr Easyway method. It is definitely the best one I tried so far, and I tried everything except hypnosis.
Had my last cigarette a week ago and don't miss them at all.

In fact, I'm doing so well, I started to worry that this whole thing is too good to be true... Did have some pretty unpleasant withdrawal symptoms through the weekend, but nothing unbearable...

I feel fine now, and should feel completely fine in about 3 weeks, but I find stories of ex-smokers who still crave for cigarettes 10 years later, pretty discouraging.
It shouldn't happen with this method, but I still worry... and worrying aint good.

Any experience / words of wisdom from qutters?
happy_tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
SG Guitars

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 11-26-2012, 09:08 PM   #2 (permalink)
dbb

I've never been a smoker, but I know it's really hard to quit. Good for you!
dbb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-26-2012, 09:48 PM   #3 (permalink)

I quit after 20 years in 1994 . I realised that for what I was spending on cigarettes, I could be making payments on a car . I haven't had a cigarette since, but every once in awhile, I still reach for the pack that's not in my left breast pocket . Stick with it, it gets easier everyday and after a couple of months, you'll realise you smell bread or apples for the first time in years Unfortunately, you'll also realise that everything you own smells of cigarette smoke . I have not become an rabid anti-smoker, you just can't do it in my house or car . Biddlin ;>)/
Moose, Kevy Nova, Alex_SG and 1 others like this.

Director of Disinformation for the
Department of Invasive Technology
for Total Obfuscation.
[DITTO]

Last edited by Biddlin; 11-27-2012 at 07:08 AM.
Biddlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-27-2012, 12:55 AM   #4 (permalink)

Good for you Tom. I'm making preparations to quit as well.
Good luck with it mate. I'm gonna try the hypnotherapy. Tried all the patches, pills etc but didn't have much luck, except for Champix. Only problem was that once my supply ran out, I got the cravings back as strong as ever.
Anyway, hope it works for you, and best of luck.
Alex
Ibanez TSA5 All Valve 5W Combo
Marshall G15RCD 15W SS Combo Amp

Quote:
Originally Posted by eS.G. View Post
Thanks for the heads up don't get BBC radio here in "The Land Of Cotton" aka the Republic of Redneckistan
Alex_SG is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-27-2012, 01:38 AM   #5 (permalink)

I quit about 4 years ago after smoking for 30yrs. I used the Nicolette gum to help ease the cravings, then dropped the gum while i had a cold. Took about 6 months total, I now chew regular gum as need be, i find it helps with the cravings. On that point, I have heard many say that once you have become addicted to most anything, you will be a life time recovering addict. I still do get cravings and suspect i will for the rest of my life, bur as mentioned, it does get easier. The triggers for cravings are not always what you think. I can stand beside someone smoking and never be bothered at all by it, yet other things seem to trigger it. Don't be discouraged by this, just be aware it may happen. keep up the good fight, and if the cravings come, just think of all the work you have done that 1 cigarette can undo. That usually motivates me to not give in. I hope you find what works for you in your battle to quit, not every method works for everyone.
telebutcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-27-2012, 04:08 AM   #6 (permalink)

Tom, Good move! It gets better & easier day by day. It is too important not to smoke and to not let any negative thoughts trip you up or worry you. You simply cant ever smoke again. Like an alcoholic to the drink it will be poison for your body, mind & soul. You must love and care about yourself & those you love & never smoke again. Thats how important it is.

What some people say happens don't really matter. All that matters is you stay committed and keep moving forward in the right direction and farther and farther away from the memory of ever smoking.

I have quit for a year & a half now after a week on Chantics. I was getting sick from it but was determined to quite so I quit within a week so I could back of the chantics & not be sick. Point is I was determined I was done smoking & that I was never going to hurt & endanger my health & future ever again with cigarettes. That is the most important thing.

The truth is, it only gets better as time goes by. There will be moments of confusion & temptation. That is why you must have that set in stone determination that nothing will ever get you to smoke again. You will be ok. Only you can control what you do with yourself so be affirmed & strong & you will never want to smoke again.

I know I'm repeating myself but I think it helps make the point. Proper thoughts & self willed determination are so important to winning over this addiction & beating it forever. Be strong my friend. Believe in yourself & believe you're doing the right thing for yourself & you will succeed.

Best Wishes. Barry

Last edited by Relic61; 11-27-2012 at 10:24 AM.
Relic61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-03-2013, 01:10 PM   #7 (permalink)

I quit in 1985... heres how: First, I made up my mind that I wanted to. That was hard because I loved my cigaret when I was using.

Once you make up your mind, you still might need some assistance. One thing I did that was quite effective was to empty an ashtray into a tupperware food box, and close it up tight. Then when I really wanted a cigarette, I'd just open that box and take a sniff. kinda like aversion therapy, because after being reminded of how bad it smells and all, I didn't want a cigarette. (and maybe I got enough of the drug in that sniff to tide me over)

That worked for me. I was over the physical cravings in about 48 hours, the rest was just habits that needed to change. I'm really glad I don't smoke anymore. Others I know have put all the money they didn't spend on cigarettes into a bank account, and bought themselves nice presents, cruises etc... because it builds up fast.

When my teenage stepdaughter started smoking openly, I tried to get her to look into the future with me, and add up how much of her future finances (if any) she was planning to spend on smoking. But her mind deflected the concept and she blew it off.
She's hooked and doesn't want to quit, and no one can help her but herself.

When the addiction controls you, it's like a parasite that takes care of itself at your expense... like a tapeworm that eats first, no matter how nice your dinner was. you plan your day and your evening around how you're going to get your drug.

Anyway, best wishes in this... sympathy and encouragement. It's great not to smoke. That's all I can say. The freedom is so worth all the effort. Be strong.
Col Mustard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-03-2013, 01:57 PM   #8 (permalink)

Well done, you must keep going whatever. I've been given up 2 or 3 year now, my wife says its 3 years, I think its 2. I just keeped my acoustic guitar handy so when I had moments I would just pick it up and play i. It helped. Its taken me 3 good trys to stop.and yes still get odd craving bit it has become a lot easyer to just put it to one side and get on.
thinkgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-03-2013, 06:12 PM   #9 (permalink)

Thanks for the support, it's about two months now and I haven't had a smoke since then.

It actually wasn't hard at all. Wasn't all smooth sailing either, like the book said it would be, but that's my own fault.

I do have to admit I've become an asshole when I'm drunk, preaching agressive antismoking propaganda half the time, and being agressive/depressed before zonkig out;
I guess I subconsciously still feel deprived when I'm totally drunk, although I'm glad I quit nearly all the time.
Or it could be just be December... And me drinking too much and not getting laid enough.

Anyway, I feel I did it; the December partying, depressions and eating is over; and I just started to work out this week to lose those few kilos I gained after quitting. I actually expected worse, 7and feel better every day since I don't caugh anymore, my lungs stopped hurting; my clothes don't smell and I don't have to worry about cancer or stroke all the time.

And if my calculations are correct, I should save just enough for a Squier Vintage Modified Mustang or Jazzmaster exactly on Hitler's birthday
Or maybe a LP, if there's a cheap version with mini humbuckers?
happy_tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-03-2013, 06:38 PM   #10 (permalink)

Exclamation

Stick with it is my only (less than helpful) suggestion.

I quit over thirty years ago, mainly because my girlfriend didn't want me smoking in her flat. It took a few days without cigarettes to realise that the main reason I smoked was out of habit and boredom. The epiphany was when I was driving and got stopped at a red light. The first thing I did was reach out for a packet of cigs to light up but I didn't have any. It was in that moment that I came to my senses and concluded that I just had to break the reflex habit of lighting up when bored. Mind you, when I got home, my smoke-free smell and subsequent sex helped!

BTW, it's almost too easy to say (mainly for UK members) that you'd be buggered if you didn't give up with the Alan Carr (sic) method!
Unread 01-03-2013, 08:50 PM   #11 (permalink)

Good for you Tom.
Wasn't it amazing when your taste buds came back to life and you
could actually taste food again? Most people who die in fires die of
smoke inhalation and cigarettes have a 33% fatality rate so
stopping is a very good thing indeed. I salute you.

(I was lucky. Never started smoking in the first place but I have a highly
addictive personality and have gotten tangled up with "other things" in my life.
I know how hard it is to quit doing something you like that is bad for you.)

Have fun and play well.
T.
Tony M is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-04-2013, 09:32 AM   #12 (permalink)

I gave up 38 years ago. I'm long over it but still remember how difficult it was.

Ultimately it's a habit that has a very strong social/lifestyle context. The reasons/motivation to give up need to exceed the reasons to keep smoking and it's always a close run race.

The reasons to give up are:
  • Your life, your health - more time with your family
  • Increased sense of smell and taste
  • More money in your pocket
  • A role model for your kids
  • Less social isolation

With those motivations it would seem easy but it's a strong addiction so I appreciate your need for support.

Good luck Tom
Unread 01-10-2013, 10:57 PM   #13 (permalink)

Smoking will kill you. So will golf.
Personally, the thought of walking round a golf course in my later years, looking for a lost ball fills me with more terror than cancer.
Biddlin likes this.
Matt Rayner is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-12-2013, 12:57 PM   #14 (permalink)

Don't worry about it man, i'm 30 this year too and i've cut right back. I still like a smoke when i'm out drinking, but there are things out there that will kill you a helluva lot quicker than cigarettes so y'know, if you enjoy it and you can keep it under control, the odd tab whilst you're having a bevvy isn't gonna do too much harm so long as you can keep it under control. Although I don't wanna sound like the devil on your shoulder on that one, smoking's bad mmmm'kay. I tell you what though, if you never want to touch fags again i'd recommend drinking the dregs out of a beer can you've been sticking your dog ends in all night. Putrid just doesn't cover it.
EricCrapton is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-12-2013, 01:40 PM   #15 (permalink)
Super Moderator

I gave up smoking back in my band days. As lead singer... smoking was horrible for my singing voice and the morning caugh fits just got old. That has been... wow almost 30 years ago!!! Anyway, I haven't lit a single ciggy since so don't worry about cravings down the road. I'd say if you totally stay ciggy free for 90 days... you got it made. The biggest thing to watch for is not to let a stress response draw you back into smoking. I know when I first gave them up, stress would tempt me to light up but I just remembered how crappy it was to wake up caughing every day and the temptation went away pretty quick.

You can do it man!
Unread 01-12-2013, 02:52 PM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricCrapton View Post
. I still like a smoke when i'm out drinking, but there are things out there that will kill you a helluva lot quicker than cigarettes so y'know, I tell you what though, if you never want to touch fags again i'd recommend drinking the dregs out of a beer can you've been sticking your dog ends in all night. Putrid just doesn't cover it.
I just don't get the correlation between smokin cigarettes and and alternate sexual lifestyle.???

Just kiddin ya my British brother or where ever it is that you hail from where cigs are fags and dog ends are...I can only guess what dog ends are actually. lol Anyway, I always enjoy reading things written in such a way that demonstrates the variation & cultural broadness covered by the English language. Thanks for posting and keep those posts coming in. I totally enjoyed reading. Peace
EricCrapton likes this.
Relic61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-12-2013, 03:43 PM   #17 (permalink)

i smoked for almost 20yrs. quitting was difficult but not horrible. havent smoked in many years but although its not a daily struggle i still occasionally want one. dont drink during your first few weeks off smokes, 3 beers and you'll be craving badly.
lawyersgunsandmoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-12-2013, 04:49 PM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Relic61 View Post
I just don't get the correlation between smokin cigarettes and and alternate sexual lifestyle.???

Just kiddin ya my British brother or where ever it is that you hail from where cigs are fags and dog ends are...I can only guess what dog ends are actually. lol Anyway, I always enjoy reading things written in such a way that demonstrates the variation & cultural broadness covered by the English language. Thanks for posting and keep those posts coming in. I totally enjoyed reading. Peace
Well y'know old boy, you start off on cigarettes and end up on the ol' pink cigar. Haha, thanks for the heads up though mucker, perhaps it was a tactic used in the American Revolution, pervert the Queens English in order to make us all look like a bunch of poofters whenever we want to enjoy a fine tobacco product. Best watch what I say around here as I guess "smoking a pack of fags" could cast some nasty aspersions upon my person. Also, a dog end is a cigarette butt. "Aqualung" likes 'em.
Unread 01-12-2013, 05:09 PM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricCrapton View Post
... perhaps it was a tactic used in the American Revolution.
Like including the Second Amendment to the Constitution on the scare tactic that the British were going to invade the country so everyone ought to be armed to fight them off.

Oh, shit! That's probably going to inflame some passions with US members.
Unread 01-12-2013, 05:29 PM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by javamagic View Post
Like including the Second Amendment to the Constitution on the scare tactic that the British were going to invade the country so everyone ought to be armed to fight them off.

It's a shame they didn't have the film 'Deliverance' back in those days. That definately would have put me off invading. Squeal boy!
Unread 01-12-2013, 06:01 PM   #21 (permalink)

Quote:

No passions inflamed, here. It actually made me laugh!!

Don't get me wrong, I believe in our 2nd Amendment (no, don't worry, I'm not going to engage in a long-winded argument about it), but I think we are all adult enough here to tolerate a bit of trans-Atlantic teasing.

Carry on...

Last edited by smitty_p; 01-12-2013 at 07:18 PM.
smitty_p is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-12-2013, 06:28 PM   #22 (permalink)

We'll have that gun from Charlton Heston's "cold, dead hand" now.
Unread 01-12-2013, 06:41 PM   #23 (permalink)
Super Moderator

hehe... so how many posts did it take for this to de-volve into a debate over gun control? Just kidding and we yanks don't mind a little harmless teasing about our strong beliefs in individual rights

Now back to the topic of quit smoking...
smitty_p likes this.
Unread 01-12-2013, 10:28 PM   #24 (permalink)
dbb

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldrockfan View Post
hehe... so how many posts did it take for this to de-volve into a debate over gun control? Just kidding and we yanks don't mind a little harmless teasing about our strong beliefs in individual rights

Now back to the topic of quit smoking...
Same thing...give up guns? give up smokes? give up our own right to decide what I want to do in life?

Back to the guitar...
smitty_p and Relic61 like this.
Unread 01-12-2013, 10:35 PM   #25 (permalink)
dbb

Quote:

Actually it's pretty funny! How could Britain invade their own colony? They had either already invaded the Native Americans, or ousted the French or Spanish invaders.

Heck, even the Native Americans invaded a pristine group of continents from Asia via the Bering Strait land bridge.

I'm from New Orleans. The "War of 1812" ended in 1815...a couple weeks before the Battle of New Orleans, which was actually fought after the peace treaty was signed in England. No email then.

"The Battle of New Orleans took place on January 8, 1815 and was the final major battle of the War of 1812.....The Treaty of Ghent, having been signed on December 24, 1814, was ratified by the Prince Regent on December 30 and the United States Senate on February 16, 1815. Hostilities continued until late February when official dispatches announcing the peace reached the combatants in Louisiana, finally putting an end to the war.[8][9] The Battle of New Orleans is widely regarded as the greatest American land victory of the war."

So even then our "big victory" was a day late and a dollar short. Perfect for New Orleans!