EverythingSG.com
Homepage - Gallery - Spy  
Go Back   EverythingSG.com > The Solid Guitar > Gibson SG
LIKE everythingSG on Facebook

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 07-22-2009, 05:49 PM   #1 (permalink)

Gibson Tony Iommi SG

Hi everyone I've been currently seeking out a Tony Iommi Gibson SG and recently found one for a decent price just under 1300 dollars X]]
It's a used model but pshhh theres no way you can find a new one nowadays right ?
I think they were discontinued back in 2001... but this is the guitar I am interested in buying. Reason being is because it has 24 frets, it has the Iommi humbuckers and it's a Gibson not an Epiphone which I did own at one point.
The only thing i really do hate is the black... black isnt for me. I want a cherry red SG and I'm thinking about sending it to a custom shop to have it painted red.
Is it worth all the trouble and money to do that ? I was thinking of sending it out to Ed Roman since I dunno any other well known luthiers that do custom painting.
This is the guitar...

and I want it to look like this...

Like the custom shop Tony Iommi SG with the full cross inlays

How much do you think it will cost for the paint job and inlays ?

Should I just leave it alone because its a rare guitar ?

I'm LOST IN ALL WAYS but i DO want it roolin:
Alt Today
SG Guitars

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 07-22-2009, 06:09 PM   #2 (permalink)

Re: Gibson Tony Iommi SG

didn't gibson make a cherry iommi sig? i've seen pics of one, but never seen one actually for sale.

you might be rolling the dice, who knows what that wood grain might look like under the paint.
Unread 07-22-2009, 06:45 PM   #3 (permalink)

I have a great guitar painter in So Cal if you are in the area and would like to talk to him, send me a message
AxRab is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-22-2009, 06:52 PM   #4 (permalink)

Well I found out that Gibson made 3 different versions of the Tony Iommi
The most sought after one is the cherry Gibson Tony Iommi with the cross inlays going all the way down to the 24th fret.
Then there is the black Gibson Iommi which is the same but just black.
Those two are both Custom Shop Tony Iommi SGs.

The regular Gibson Tony Iommi sells less maybe it sold new as much as the 61 reissue but it only had the cross inlays from the 3rd fret up to the 12th. 5 inlays in all and they were smaller. Looks just like an epiphone but with the Gibson name and headstock and different body dimensions.

heres the cherry Iommi SG Custom Shop

It certainly will be a project but I like projects

This was my Epiphone SG Project...

Gibson Vintage Tuners With Gibson Iommi Pickups and original Gibson 500k pots and wiring

but yeah anyways how much would a paint job cost and a new inlay design ?
Unread 07-22-2009, 07:37 PM   #5 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Welcome to ETSG rattsalad!
Unread 07-22-2009, 08:52 PM   #6 (permalink)

Like HighwaytoHell said, you don't know what the wood might look like underneath. Generally, it would stand to reason that the worst pieces of wood they get are used on black guitars.

But my philosophy is that it's your guitar and you only live once. Just make sure you get it done well and tastefully so it won't be impossible if you go to sell it.
Unread 07-22-2009, 09:06 PM   #7 (permalink)
Administrator

I don't know if he has the time but you couldn't get a better job done by anyone other than our own brucewayne131. He probably knows more about the Iommi's than anyone else.
Unread 07-22-2009, 10:00 PM   #8 (permalink)
dbb

[quote author=suicidehummer link=topic=19530.msg236617#msg236617 date=1248310345]
Like HighwaytoHell said, you don't know what the wood might look like underneath. Generally, it would stand to reason that the worst pieces of wood they get are used on black guitars.
[/quote]

Usually so, but Gibson is so inconsistent that you may have OK grain underneath all the paint. I'm not sure I would go to the trouble of refinishing it, though, I'd get used to it being black. Hey, if you want to try, it's your guitar and best of luck ;D
dbb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-23-2009, 12:02 AM   #9 (permalink)

[quote author=Tom link=topic=19530.msg236620#msg236620 date=1248311210]
I don't know if he has the time but you couldn't get a better job done by anyone other than our own brucewayne131. He probably knows more about the Iommi's than anyone else.
[/quote]

here! here!
AxRab is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-24-2009, 02:45 PM   #10 (permalink)

To be clear, what you're considering is stripping and staining the guitar as opposed to "painting". The outcome of painting a guitar is somewhat more predictable than stripping a painted one and staining it.

Look at some of BW's threads. He'll build you exactly what you want. He's made Iommi SG's from Specials, for example. He does his own MOP cross inlays, can reshape a neck/heel the way you want it, and does beautiful finish work.

If you check his threads; you'll see he's also built replicas of Tony's "Monkey" guitar (which Tony himself was amazed with) and his JD "Old Boy", Tony's #1.

You could start with a Gibson SG "husk" (body/neck, no electronics or hardware), I see them frequently on ebay. You may even be able to find a clapped-out older sg with nicely seasoned wood to start with.

Assembling the guitar with the best pots, caps, and hardware won't cost any more than the Gibson factory stuff.

Having one built for you by BW seems a much better option than starting w/a black TI. I'm a big believer in "do what you want with your own guitar", so it's not that I'm a TI SG conservationist, but those guitars were built in limited numbers, and saw a steady rise in value until our current dip in the economy. Your money, but in practical terms it would seem building a custom one, or saving your pennies for a Custom Shop (around $5000 these days) should be worth consideration.

Since you seem a TI enthusiast like myself and quite a few others here, I'd also mention that you can also buy custom-built replicas of Tony's John Birch and JayDee Old Boy from those respective builders in England. They both do beautiful work. Just search on them and check out their websites. Even if you don't go with either of them, it's worth it for the drool...

If it sounds like I've given a lot of thought to the above, I have. I got outbid on one of BW's custom builds, and want both a JD and a JB. I've got a TI SG like the one you're looking at, as well as several "Iommized" Gibby SG's, and have a blast chasing his tone, technique, and guitars.

Good luck, keep us posted on what direction you take.
IommiSG is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-24-2009, 05:08 PM   #11 (permalink)

wow didnt think id get that much info on this thanks guys and thanks six string for welcoming me!

im new to the forum so I have no idea who BW is IommSG
I would buy a 61 reissue SG off of ebay but then I realized I needed the 24 frets !
and none of the SGs have 24 but the menace i think and maybe some other odd models
I do want it stained red though like you said as opposed to "painted" red lol sorry bout that
I was looking at the jaydee custom iommi's and saw that there is a 12 to 16 month building period to wait and i was like WOAHHHH ha I cant wait 12 months ! I dont even have a guitar at the moment i recently sold the epiphone a few months back and i have my Ibanez rgt42mdx listed at the moment on ebay ending tonight :]]

this is the link

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=260449947694

My budget for a guitar right now is no more than 1300 dollars which is good cause the seller of the Tony Iommi SG is selling his for 1200. Im probably nowhere near as rich as you guys buying 3000 dollar guitars lol I work part time after school and this is the most i can do sadly
Iommi is the main reason why I play guitar. My first riff on a guitar that i learned was Iron Man !
But anyways once I recieve payment for my Ibanez I'll buy the Tony Iommi
and will get started on it right away with what I want done.
I seriously regret selling my SG cause its the only axe i feel comfortable on.
NO GUITAR CAN SATISFY ME LIKE AN SG and being that the Gibson SG is lighter than the Epiphone and the dimensions are a lot sleeker it will feel so much better I bet.

I was taking a look at John Birche's pickups that he custom makes for Tony, I saw that they are smaller and just different sized than the Gibson pickups so I dunno how I would even put them on my guitar cause I'd need a special ring i guess to fit them around the smaller pickup and I have no idea how much they go for lol but I would buy Iommi's neck pickup and stick with a Gibson "iommi" in the bridge.

So so far what I have in mind is I'ma buy the Tony Iommi Gibson SG, have it stained cherry red, install a schaller bridge, get custom sterling silver crucifexs on the neck and also have "the line" or whatever you would call it on the side of the neck where the frets are.

too bad i cant be at the gibson blowout sale to buy an sg cheap...
Unread 07-24-2009, 06:21 PM   #12 (permalink)

Ratsalad, sorry, I didn't realize you just joined. Welcome! Brucewayne is Lou Moritz's screename here. He's the resident luthier, and fellow Tony Iommi freak. I met him on the Laney forum last year, and our common Iommi interest got us talking.

You'll find lots of examples of his work here; look in the 'how to' section and you'll find lots of pictures of his amazing restorations and replica work. You'll love seeing the pics of him meeting Tony and Geezer, and them inspecting his replica of Tony's "Monkey" guitar. Forum members have had work done by him, and all have raved about the results. He often documents the steps of a project in pictures here; I've learned much by just following those projects. Doesn't seem to be much he won't take on. Do remember that Nitro Lacquer takes some time to properly cure, so you'll be without your new purchase for awhile, no matter who does the refin.

You want real silver cross inlays? That could be costly, if you can find anyone to do them. I'm hoping Lou will see this thread and chime in. He can give you this skinny on all of that. I'm sure it's something he's already explored.

Yep, you're right, it takes a long time to get an Old Boy built by JayDee. Lou's awaiting his as we speak.

You can get a John Birch in a month or so. Honestly, I want one of those just to have in my collection. If I had to choose between the two, it would be the JD Old Boy. The Birch is all maple, albeit some sort of special maple from the UK. I would gravite toward a more traditonal mahogany like the Old Boy, and I know how good the Old Boy sounds..

You're also correct that if you need 24 frets, you're limited in SG model selection. A Supreme has 24 frets, but has a flame maple top. You might be interested to know that Gibson is releasing more than one new Tony Iommi Signature guitar in the near future. We know that one will be a Monkey replica, so we can expect that be be hugely expensive ala Page and Clapton models, and one is to be a variation on the Diablo, with cross inlays and a flat black finish. Don't know what else may be in the works, but it would seem the popularity of the original Iommi SG's would indicate a market for another round.

As far as the John Birch pickups, yes, the old one that Tony has in the Monkey is a P-90 size, but they now make that pickup as a std humbucker size only. It's called a Magnum 2. I have one in a '61 Reissue, and it's hotter than hell...they exceed 20K... The only gripe I had with it was that it sounded harsh. I put 250k pots in the guitar, and that smoothed it right out. Later read that a 250k volume pot was what was used in Tony's guitar, so I was on the right track. The problem w/buying anything from England is the rate of exchange. That pickup cost me $200.

In the end, I think everyone wanted you to know all your options so you made an informed decision. It looks like you have a plan. You may be the first to have a TI stripped and stained red, so I know that I, and several others here would love to hear of your progress and see the results.

Best of luck with the project, and I hope you'll keep posting. Always great to welcome another Iommi fan..
Unread 07-24-2009, 08:31 PM   #13 (permalink)

wow i did check out the Tony Iommi posts in the search option and found a forum where Lou was custom building an old boy replica. He really did a great job on that. It looks superb and i was amazed how he did his inlay work. Never seen something like that. Thats some true talent hes got there and im sure its fun if you really want it done.
I might just give him a PM when i get the guitar cause hes done the same exact thing to the neck that im looking for. The "binding" and cross frets. Hopefully he has spare time.

8)
Unread 07-24-2009, 11:34 PM   #14 (permalink)

There ya go!
Unread 07-25-2009, 03:56 AM   #15 (permalink)

phewww, no ed roman involvement it seems ;D
Unread 08-02-2009, 05:39 PM   #16 (permalink)

woooo ! so this past week my Gibson Tony Iommi SG finally came in !!!
I saw the UPS guy comming up with the guitar box and before he even got a chance to ring the doorbell I jumped to the door and opened it haha
I've sold every guitar I've had to purchase sumtin different but this one is gonna be a keeper ! It's super light and slim like woahh. This definitly beats the epiphone G-400 I used to own. Like in my previous commentsI said I wanted to have it custom stained like you would see on a 61' reissue but I might just leave it alone. Besides noone wants to do it either. I've called up many luthiers and restoration sites and a lot of them told me theyre not doing anymore projects at this moment or that they don't do custom finishes... but it sais so on their page... > I actually did call up Edroman and the one who picked up the phone was Ed himself ha after being on the phone with him for 5 mins I was like i shouldn't have called this guy... :-\ he rambled on and on about how much work it is and he said it would cost 1000 dollars !!! pshhh most I had in mind spending was 600. Then he went on saying you do know Tony Iommi doesnt use a Gibson and I said yeah he uses a JayDee and he said thats correct and that he uses another custom SG by some other dude I forgot the name of. Then he rambled on and on about if I've seen his custom Tony Iommi guitars on his website and he told me to go on and check it and blah blah and he literally rambled on for about an hr to me about how Gibsons suck and that none of the pros use Gibsons. loll His delinquent SG from abstract dont look too bad but his warpig guitar looks like a JayDee bootleg. I think its ugly and his guitars is set-thru which isnt bad but i prefer set necks to be able to bend the neck slightly to do like slight vibrato effects. He did offer me to trade my Tony Iommi for one oh his custom SGs and some money down but I was like I'll think bout it... not. lol
I was also told when buying this guitar that it is a 2002 Tony Iommi but upon looking at the pots it said 01 so i checked the serial number which is 02891517 and indeed it is a 2001 not 2002.
So here she is roolin:

Unread 08-02-2009, 06:14 PM   #17 (permalink)

Very nice. Looks like a keeper. Let us know how she sounds.

mdubya is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-02-2009, 07:08 PM   #18 (permalink)

Hey I'm new to this forum but I've been on the Gibson forum for a while now.

I was wondering if anybody knows if there is a floyd-rose equipped SG coming soon.

I've seen several pictures of Iommi with FR equipped SGs and thought it would be a cool model.

I don't particularly like the FR but I love SGs and that would add versatility to my favorite axe.

By the way I should just say double locking vibrato because in all of the pictures I've seen his hand is partially blocking the bridge so I can't really see it.
Dub-T-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-02-2009, 07:31 PM   #19 (permalink)

I think this is the guitar that youve seen
thats Tony Iommis custom tremolo guitar. what kind of tremolo it is i have no clue
but its fully equipped with extra fun ! 24 frets and a tremolo
my guitar already has the 24 frets but I think twice about customizing it...
i keep getting told by a lot of people to not mess with it since its a discontinued model and that it is also rare but not as rare as the custom shop Iommi.
But I'm a player not a collector... so I dunno. :-\
You gotta look around on google and search SG tremolo or SG floyd rose and Im sure there are some companies that have tremolo style bridges that you can fit on an SG.
I've seen one tremolo bridge that doesnt require any routing at all ! Big Bucks but I heard it was very good. Kahler i think the name of it was... or stetsbar ? look it up !

Unread 08-02-2009, 10:27 PM   #20 (permalink)

Beautiful SG! I never particularly liked any of the bands Iommi played with, but I do like his style.
Unread 08-03-2009, 03:46 PM   #21 (permalink)

do you guys think that tony iommi's plastic fingertips has to do alot with his sound acting like a slide i guess ? I been thinking about it actually and maybe his metal fingertips or plastic caps whichever they may be may have some kind of effect on the sound he gets out of his guitar.
Unread 08-03-2009, 03:55 PM   #22 (permalink)

Send a message via MSN to SteveG

they were rubbed down leather ontop of melted fairy liquid bottles
but i think he has proper prosthetic ones too

and ratsalad

nice name
matches ur pic too seing as thats the album it was on
Unread 08-05-2009, 01:08 AM   #23 (permalink)

[quote author=Dub-T-123 link=topic=19530.msg237139#msg237139 date=1249254499]
Hey I'm new to this forum but I've been on the Gibson forum for a while now.

I was wondering if anybody knows if there is a floyd-rose equipped SG coming soon.

[/quote]

they were way back in the 80s.
i've got one with a factory schaller on it.

that iommi meanwhile is a OFR and if not mistaken is flat mounted.
everdying is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-05-2009, 12:33 PM   #24 (permalink)
dbb

[quote author=rattsalad link=topic=19530.msg237140#msg237140 date=1249255873]

I've seen one tremolo bridge that doesnt require any routing at all ! Big Bucks but I heard it was very good. Kahler i think the name of it was... or stetsbar ? look it up !

[/quote]

Stetsbar....http://stetsbar.com/stop.tail.html

Has anyone actually played one? I'm wondering if it is worth it and any better than a Kahler or just a OEM short vibrola?

BTW, cool SG !
dbb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-05-2009, 01:01 PM   #25 (permalink)

[quote author=rattsalad link=topic=19530.msg237136#msg237136 date=1249249193]
woooo ! so this past week my Gibson Tony Iommi SG finally came in !!!
I saw the UPS guy comming up with the guitar box and before he even got a chance to ring the doorbell I jumped to the door and opened it haha
I've sold every guitar I've had to purchase sumtin different but this one is gonna be a keeper ! It's super light and slim like woahh. This definitly beats the epiphone G-400 I used to own. Like in my previous commentsI said I wanted to have it custom stained like you would see on a 61' reissue but I might just leave it alone. Besides noone wants to do it either. I've called up many luthiers and restoration sites and a lot of them told me theyre not doing anymore projects at this moment or that they don't do custom finishes... but it sais so on their page... > I actually did call up Edroman and the one who picked up the phone was Ed himself ha after being on the phone with him for 5 mins I was like i shouldn't have called this guy... :-\ he rambled on and on about how much work it is and he said it would cost 1000 dollars !!! pshhh most I had in mind spending was 600. Then he went on saying you do know Tony Iommi doesnt use a Gibson and I said yeah he uses a JayDee and he said thats correct and that he uses another custom SG by some other dude I forgot the name of. Then he rambled on and on about if I've seen his custom Tony Iommi guitars on his website and he told me to go on and check it and blah blah and he literally rambled on for about an hr to me about how Gibsons suck and that none of the pros use Gibsons. loll His delinquent SG from abstract dont look too bad but his warpig guitar looks like a JayDee bootleg. I think its ugly and his guitars is set-thru which isnt bad but i prefer set necks to be able to bend the neck slightly to do like slight vibrato effects. He did offer me to trade my Tony Iommi for one oh his custom SGs and some money down but I was like I'll think bout it... not. lol
I was also told when buying this guitar that it is a 2002 Tony Iommi but upon looking at the pots it said 01 so i checked the serial number which is 02891517 and indeed it is a 2001 not 2002.
So here she is roolin:

[/quote]

damn that is awesome! congrats!!!

(i'm so jealous)