EverythingSG.com
Homepage - Gallery - Spy  
Go Back   EverythingSG.com > The Solid Guitar > Gibson SG
LIKE everythingSG on Facebook

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Susihukkanen
  • 1 Post By dbb

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 03-19-2012, 11:59 AM   #1 (permalink)

starting a black sabbath cover band

starting a black sabbath cover band i would like to know which sg is better for me

many thanks
carlocki is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
SG Guitars

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 03-19-2012, 12:09 PM   #2 (permalink)

welcome! id say any of them .. remember, on the 1st record, Tony was using a strat...the amp has a lot to do with the BS sound(along with Tonys attack)... with the right amp tweaks, i can get real close to BS sound with my SG classic (p-90's) and my faded special(iommi/57+)...im, sure others got better info, that will chime in..
Unread 03-19-2012, 12:47 PM   #3 (permalink)
dbb

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeystool View Post
welcome! id say any of them .. remember, on the 1st record, Tony was using a strat...the amp has a lot to do with the BS sound(along with Tonys attack)... with the right amp tweaks, i can get real close to BS sound with my SG classic (p-90's) and my faded special(iommi/57+)...im, sure others got better info, that will chime in..
I thought Tommy was using a SG Special (P90's) when he began playing with Black Sabbath. I'm not trying to argue, even the wikipedia entry says:

"The first two Black Sabbath albums are actually in E tuning, however, as Iommi didn't start tuning down to C# until 1971's Master of Reality. Iommi combined blues-like guitar solos and dark, minor-key riffing with a revolutionary high-gain, heavily distorted tone with his use of a modified treble-boosting effect-pedal and a Gibson SG, as well as plugging his guitar into his amp's bass input."

I'm not sure if this is accurate, what amp has a "bass input"?.

same article..."Fender Stratocaster[41]
Iommi played a Fender Stratocaster that was spraypainted white by Iommi and his father during the early days with Black Sabbath. However, the pickup malfunctioned during the recording of their first album so Iommi quickly turned to his backup Gibson SG to finish the record. Currently Iommi owns two Stratocasters, one of which has been modified with his signature pickup in the bridge position."

backup SG?

"A 1965 Gibson SG Special in red finish fitted with a Gibson P-90 pickup in the bridge position and a custom-wound John Birch P-90 style single coil in the neck position. The guitar became Iommi's main instrument after his white Stratocaster's neck pickup failed during the recording of Black Sabbath's self-titled album."
dbb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-19-2012, 01:43 PM   #4 (permalink)

Wink

..if you check out the Rolling Stones R+R Circus, he was using a strat then too...ill see where i read it, i think Guitar world interview...

Tony Iommi: In the very early days of the band, I was into playing a battered Fender Stratocaster. The Strat was the hot guitar in England at the time, so playing one was very much a status thing. I know that people like Jimi Hendrix had played one, and I think that made everyone think of them as being "in". I did own an SG at that time too, but it was little more than a backup guitar for me in case my Strat broke down. Then, right in the middle of recording our first record, one of my pickups stopped working. Back then, fixing a guitar pickup wasn't as easy as it is today and it was real work to change them. We only had two days in the studio to finish the entire record, so there was no time to waste. It was at that moment that I switched over to the SG, and I never played the Stratocaster again (from Hit Parader Magazine, July 1993)
yet another edit:i had a music man amp way back, im almost positive it had a Bass input...
Unread 03-19-2012, 01:48 PM   #5 (permalink)

This should be quite reliable source of information: Tony Iommi Official Website
mikeystool likes this.
Susihukkanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-19-2012, 02:51 PM   #6 (permalink)
dbb

Thanks, mikeystool
mikeystool likes this.
dbb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-19-2012, 06:57 PM   #7 (permalink)

this one is headstock broken i am really interested in

here
carlocki is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-19-2012, 07:38 PM   #8 (permalink)
Super Moderator

There is actually more than one way to get what you are looking for. A P90 loaded SG with the right amp can do some sweet sabboth stuff. Of course you can also get there with an aggresive humbucking gibson pup so it just depends on what aspect of his play you are after. If you search the forum, there has been alot of content about his guitars so do a search and check it out.
Unread 03-19-2012, 11:01 PM   #9 (permalink)

SG w/P90s + low wattage tube amp + treble booster. My Classics or 60s Tribute through a Keeley Java Boost into a Vox AC4TV 10"...face melty Sabb goodness.

80 LP Pro Deluxe
84 LP Studio Std
85 SG Std

85 LP Custom
87 SG Custom
91 SG Jr
93 SG Spc
94 SG Std
Firebird V
98 LP Std

98 Flying V
99 SG-X
01 SG Jr
02 SG
Voodoo
08 SG Classic
08 SG Classic
10 SG 61 RI

11 SG 60s Trib
11 MM SG
12 SG 70s Trib

Hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-20-2012, 07:01 AM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlocki View Post
this one is headstock broken i am really interested in

here
This one may be what you need,

GIBSON SG SPECIAL 60'S TRIBUTE - #2091550 | su MercatinoMusicale.com in Chitarre elettriche Solid Body
Unread 03-20-2012, 05:37 PM   #11 (permalink)

My understanding is that there's some Strat on "Wicked World" and that's about it.

Any SG will stand you in good stead for some Sabbath. Just play a bunch of them and get the one that sounds and feels the best to you.