EverythingSG.com
Homepage - Gallery - Spy  
Go Back   EverythingSG.com > The Solid Guitar > Gibson SG
LIKE everythingSG on Facebook

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 07-31-2013, 07:31 AM   #1 (permalink)

SG Standard 2013 VS. SG Original: worth the extra money?

Hi everybody,

I am new to this forum. I love SG's. Used to own a 74 SG Custom, SG standard and several others over the years. Only have a Chinese knock off now and want a real Gibson SG again.
Last year I played a 2012 SG standard and a 61 reissue in a music store and thought that the 61 reissue played a lot better and FELT better.

Now I want to buy a 2013 SG Standard or an SG Original. Is the Original worth the extra money? Is the difference more cosmetic or does the Original play and feel better as well? I like the look of the Maestro but mostly I just want good fretwork, good feel, comfortable string tension etc. Don't care a lot about vintage correct specs either.

I don't have the possibility to try out guitars anymore so I have to rely on the internet. Thanks!
Staalhoofd is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
SG Guitars

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 07-31-2013, 08:38 AM   #2 (permalink)

I got a 2013 Standard two weeks ago. It's really hard to describe how impressed I am with this guitar. I've been an SG player since the '60s so that says a lot.

I have not played a 2013 Original but I never liked the Maestros so I won't pay an additional $500 for one.
SGspecial is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-31-2013, 08:41 AM   #3 (permalink)

Thanks for the input. What don't you like about the Maestro? I am only familiar with a bigsby which I really like on my tele.

I must admit, I am leaning towards a standard. Everybody is just so enthousiastic about them.

Btw, I can use an artist deal so I would pay about 2/3 of the price for a Gibson.
Unread 07-31-2013, 09:03 AM   #4 (permalink)

i think that the standard and the original are the same guitar, and the maestro is the only diffirence, spec talking
so if you wanna save money, and dont care about vibrato, i suggest you the standard
i am REALLY impressed with my 2013 standard
ypnos is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-31-2013, 09:05 AM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Staalhoofd View Post
What don't you like about the Maestro?
Are you trying to get me flamed by all the Maestro lovers on here? Okay, here goes, but keep in mind the following is just my opinion and is subjective.

The downsides I see are tuning instability and lack of sustain compared to a stop bar tailpiece. I also don't think the SG was engineered correctly in the beginning to be a whammy bar model. It has a glued-in neck at the 22nd fret and a 17 degree headstock. Yes I know they had vibratos in the beginning, but in 1961 they weren't used like they are now. Eddie Van Halen probably wasn't even born then. The Fender OTOH has a straight headstock and a bolted on neck.

My style of playing has no need for a whammy bar anyway. YMMV.
Caramello Koala likes this.
Unread 07-31-2013, 09:19 AM   #6 (permalink)

Good comments. Thanks. @ SGspecial: that sounds reasonable. Honestly, I like the look of the Maestro a lot but also don't feel that a Gibson is the type of guitar that needs a tremolo. I am more concerned with the playability of the Original vs. the Standard, regardless of the Maestro (which again: looks nice). I'm secretly hoping the Standard plays and feels just a nicely as the Original. Leaning even more towards a standard now :-)
Unread 07-31-2013, 10:05 AM   #7 (permalink)

Not knocking the 2012 Standard, but I feel the 2013 Standard is more like the 61 reissue than the 2012 Standard. That was noticeable the first time I even held one.
Unread 07-31-2013, 10:25 AM   #8 (permalink)

The 2013 Standards are great! (at least the ones I've played on)

That being said, a Maestro trem does subtly change the sound and feel of the guitar, IMO. I don't know how to describe it accurately but it makes it a hair brighter and snappier.

However, I don't think it's worth the $500 unless you just can't live without it. I don't think the Maestro works as a vibrato very well and I usually just keep the tailpiece on and take off the arm.
jimtalkbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-31-2013, 10:28 AM   #9 (permalink)

Cool, I think I feel comfortable to pull the trigger on a HC Standard. If I ever feel like I want a tremolo on it I can always add a B5 bigsby later on. If I install a vibramate kit without drilling holes, that will make the mod totally reversible as well. Thanks for all the input
Unread 07-31-2013, 11:43 AM   #10 (permalink)

See if you can find a second hand 2012 SG '61 Reissue. Resale prices on those have tanked thanks to the new 2013 Standard. or (depending on who you are!)

2014 Tone King Majesty 45 Head + 2x12 Cab

DigiTech | Jim Dunlop | Fulltone | MXR | TC Electronic | ZVex
tolm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-31-2013, 11:48 AM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SGspecial View Post
Not knocking the 2012 Standard, but I feel the 2013 Standard is more like the 61 reissue than the 2012 Standard. That was noticeable the first time I even held one.
This is more true than most think. I bought a 61 reissue and have played the 2013 standard and in my hands they almost feel and sound the same.

Personally I think the 2013 standards are very good guitars. The new originals are also good guitars(I really do not like the look of the tail piece or the vibrato). They play quite well. Just sounds and feels like the 2013 standard. At this point I think I would choose the standard.
BirdyMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-31-2013, 03:31 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdyMaker View Post
This is more true than most think. I bought a 61 reissue and have played the 2013 standard and in my hands they almost feel and sound the same.
I thought this was common knowledge among SG fans.

They pretty much turned the 61 Reissue into the 2013 Standard. That's why they discontinued the 61 Reissue this year.

And it ruffled some feathers because the 2013 Standard retails for significantly less than did the 61 Reissue.
Crossroads is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-31-2013, 05:44 PM   #13 (permalink)

Did the 61 reissue have a satin finish? I can't seem to find any info on it. As for the Standard it's my now my go to guitar, the best I have and my pride and joy. I have an Epi G400 with a Maestro, but haven't really used it too much - having said that I like it a whole lot better than the whammy bar on my now sold Fender Strat.

Gibson SG Standard 2013 In Heritage Cherry
Epiphone Les Paul Ukulele In Heritage Cherry Sunburst.

Fender FSR Cabronita Telecaster In Trans White Blonde.
Fender FSR Standard Telecaster Satin Arizona Sun.

Stevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-31-2013, 06:45 PM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevil View Post
Did the 61 reissue have a satin finish? I can't seem to find any info on it. As for the Standard it's my now my go to guitar, the best I have and my pride and joy. I have an Epi G400 with a Maestro, but haven't really used it too much - having said that I like it a whole lot better than the whammy bar on my now sold Fender Strat.
Yes, they did do a run of satin finish 61 reishes. Black, brown and cherry, if memory serves.

80 LP Pro Deluxe
84 LP Studio Std
85 SG Std

85 LP Custom
87 SG Custom
91 SG Jr
93 SG Spc
94 SG Std
Firebird V
98 LP Std

98 Flying V
99 SG-X
01 SG Jr
02 SG
Voodoo
08 SG Classic
08 SG Classic
10 SG 61 RI

11 SG 60s Trib
11 MM SG
12 SG 70s Trib

Hammer is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-31-2013, 07:39 PM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevil View Post
I've been doing some recording for a friends demo, using both my MiM Strat w/tremolo and my Epi G-400 vintage w/Maestro and must say the Strat trem feels rather like a toy after a couple hours of alternating. I've had both long enough to sort out "bugs" and tuning isn't an issue with either, but for 1-1 1/2 step finger bends, the Maestro is much less "de-tuned'. Obviously, the Fender is better for fast dives, if a bit less predictable on recovery. Strangely, the Strat feels "clunky" for really fast passages, compared to the SG and double tracking them sort of confirms a bit longer release time on the maple board, producing a brief delay effect.
To the OP, I really like the three 2013 Standards I've played . The necks have been outstanding . I have played an Original that I set up for a client and liked it very much, but as another poster noted, not $500 worth. I don't think you'll be unhappy with the Standard, at all.
Biddlin ;>)/

Director of Disinformation for the
Department of Invasive Technology
for Total Obfuscation.
[DITTO]

Last edited by Biddlin; 08-01-2013 at 09:41 AM.
Biddlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-31-2013, 09:35 PM   #16 (permalink)

Probably already mentioned (I just replied without reading the whole thread) but the 2013 Standard is the 61RI but for less money, so its a no-brainer. Its not the same guitar as the old standard. Like I said, 61RI which was priced at $1899 on average is the comparable model.

TattooedCarrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-01-2013, 04:16 AM   #17 (permalink)

Doesn't the Original have a bigger headstock then the Standard?
peterjasper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-01-2013, 08:34 AM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterjasper View Post
Doesn't the Original have a bigger headstock then the Standard?
Apparently so:
"The larger vintage-style headstock has the classic mother-of-pearl Gibson logo and holly inlays. "
Unread 08-01-2013, 12:31 PM   #19 (permalink)

• Pre-2013 modern Standard = the one with the large pickguard, rounded hybrid 50s/60s neck profile, 490R, 498T pickups.
  • 2013 Standard (replaced the 61 Reissue, eliminated the pre-2013 modern Standard, except for Special Editions) = 61 Reissue with a Standard sized peghead and slightly different control placement, 60s neck profile, 57 Classics.
  • SG Original = 61 Reissue with Maestro, 60s neck profile, 57 Classics.

I believe that is about the long and the short of it.
tolm and Biddlin like this.

80 LP Pro Deluxe
84 LP Studio Std
85 SG Std

85 LP Custom
87 SG Custom
91 SG Jr
93 SG Spc
94 SG Std
Firebird V
98 LP Std

98 Flying V
99 SG-X
01 SG Jr
02 SG
Voodoo
08 SG Classic
08 SG Classic
10 SG 61 RI

11 SG 60s Trib
11 MM SG
12 SG 70s Trib

Hammer is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-03-2013, 11:07 AM   #20 (permalink)

2013 SG Standard

Traded in a 2008 SG Standard for a 2013 Standard. I think there is an improvement in the new ones. Neck feels better and the 57 classics are a good fit for it as well
rothwellf1hellben is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-04-2013, 06:38 PM   #21 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammer View Post
Yes, they did do a run of satin finish 61 reishes. Black, brown and cherry, if memory serves.

Thanks for the reply Hammer.

Gibson SG Standard 2013 In Heritage Cherry
Epiphone Les Paul Ukulele In Heritage Cherry Sunburst.

Fender FSR Cabronita Telecaster In Trans White Blonde.
Fender FSR Standard Telecaster Satin Arizona Sun.

Stevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-05-2013, 04:53 AM   #22 (permalink)

Thanks for all the replies. Although I am not 100% sure (still really like the Original: nicer finish and the Maestro looks great) I believe I am confident enough to go for a Standard and possibly add a Bigsby later on.
Unread 08-06-2013, 01:19 AM   #23 (permalink)

what is an artist deal and how do you get one?
nbeersiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-06-2013, 10:04 AM   #24 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammer View Post
  • Pre-2013 modern Standard = the one with the large pickguard, rounded hybrid 50s/60s neck profile, 490R, 498T pickups.
  • 2013 Standard (replaced the 61 Reissue, eliminated the pre-2013 modern Standard, except for Special Editions) = 61 Reissue with a Standard sized peghead and slightly different control placement, 60s neck profile, 57 Classics.
  • SG Original = 61 Reissue with Maestro, 60s neck profile, 57 Classics.

I believe that is about the long and the short of it.
The original has:
  • the headstock crown in the same location as on the 61 reissue
  • Original looks like chrome rather than nickel on earlier 61s
  • Earlier 61s had ABR bridge
Unread 08-06-2013, 10:21 AM   #25 (permalink)

"what is an artist deal and how do you get one?"
I'm guessing it's a professional discount. Next time you buy several sets of strings or a gadget box at your local music store, not GC, ask the salesperson for a professional discount, usually 5-10% and you are likely to be accommodated . Once one store gives you the discount, others will as well. It adds up, especially if you are feeding a dozen or so guitars.
Biddlin ;>)/

Director of Disinformation for the
Department of Invasive Technology
for Total Obfuscation.
[DITTO]
Biddlin is offline   Reply With Quote