• 1 Post By Dorian
  • 1 Post By happy_tom
  • 2 Post By smitty_p
  • 1 Post By Col Mustard
  • 1 Post By jeremy
  • 1 Post By Biddlin
  • 1 Post By happy_tom

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 01-07-2014, 06:37 PM   #1 (permalink)

Gibson SGJ Flaws (Pictures)

I received my White Gibson SGJ yesterday

It has some small forgivable paint flaws, but though the box was intact it is seriously damaged on the side. Let's say is not really what I expected for a brand new guitar...

I joined pictures, this is the best my camera could do.

Also it detunes much more and faster than my SG Standard, but it may be because of the nut that is not hollow enough compared to the one on my Std.

Personnaly i feel like its a shame for me and gibson guitars when you compare most lower priced flawless epiphone and squier with a gibson like that.

What do you think, would you keep this guitar?
Metalhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
SG Guitars

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 01-07-2014, 06:51 PM   #2 (permalink)

I'd send it back. it's clearly been bunged up by some postal machinery.

99% of SGJ buyers unpack a good one, so should you. Don't screw around! Get another or get your money back.
Or you may want to look for a Faded Special or a Tribute
Get on the phone, right now call the customer service number of the seller and tell them what's up and get it straightened out!
Now, a little true Canadian spirit ! Have a Molson and make the call!
Biddlin ;>)/

Director of Disinformation for the
Department of Invasive Technology
for Total Obfuscation.
[DITTO]
Biddlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-07-2014, 07:03 PM   #3 (permalink)

I agree with Biddlin. It looks like shipping damage rather than any quality control problems by Gibson. I'd contact the seller immediately.
Metalhead likes this.
Guitarguy 1962 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-07-2014, 07:32 PM   #4 (permalink)

+1. Send it back, demand a replacement or a refund. That is just not good enough in this day and age.
My '61 SG special came with some very thin paint on it, but it isn't that obvious, otherwise that would have gone back too. Luckily I can live with it... It gives it a little mojo!
Metalhead likes this.
Ibanez TSA5 All Valve 5W Combo
Marshall G15RCD 15W SS Combo Amp

Quote:
Originally Posted by eS.G. View Post
Thanks for the heads up don't get BBC radio here in "The Land Of Cotton" aka the Republic of Redneckistan
Alex_SG is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-07-2014, 09:56 PM   #5 (permalink)

Thank you all for the answers, I'll contact bestbuy for an exchange or refund! However i wonder how much it will cost me to reship it from Quebec to BC. I never done that, I hope this is reasonable because they do not refund shipping and i'm a bit afraid, it's a big box lol.

But i have enough of my japanese Jackson that has flaws i really dont need a second flawed guitar. When i bought my SLAT3-6, i've tried fenders, godins and charvel but i didnt really had the time to notice all the flaws when it was time to go... Surprise. It play well but the finish is very bad for a 1380$ guitar and the guitar store (they no longer sell epiphone or gibson) is two hours away from my city and i did not had the opportunity to return it.. I'm very lucky with guitars

Unread 01-07-2014, 10:06 PM   #6 (permalink)

@ Biddlin also i wonder, Is it normal that that SGJ don't stay in tune as well as my 2004 Standard ?

If i got another one and it do the same, is there something to do so it stay in tune better?

Thanks
Unread 01-07-2014, 10:25 PM   #7 (permalink)

My SGJ holds tune quite well, so I don't know, but there are a lot of other tuner options. I think maybe this one got bumped hard and everything is a little out of whack.
Biddlin ;>)/
Metalhead likes this.

for Total Obfuscation.
[DITTO]
Unread 01-07-2014, 10:48 PM   #8 (permalink)

Gibsons very often need some nut work, I'm willing to bet your tuning issues are because of the nut.

If you hear a Ping noise while tuning up, your nut isn't properly cut. Sometimes all it takes is a little pencil lead on the nut slots, sometimes they need to be filed down a bit.

Kind of depends on if you changed the strings to a different size than gibson put on stock, if your using the stock strings or the same size than most likely you can just put some pencil lead in the slots and you'll be good to go. That goes a long way
Susihukkanen and Metalhead like this.
TheBuffalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-08-2014, 02:04 AM   #9 (permalink)

I agree with TheBuffalo, my 2011 Std with Corian nut had at first some stay in tune -problems, but it was the too tightly cut corian nut causing that. Very light sanding and pencil graphite = problem solved.
Metalhead likes this.
Susihukkanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-08-2014, 02:31 AM   #10 (permalink)

Metalhead -- I have a similar periodic pattern of indents on the outer edge of the body my faded special. I think it looks like chatter from the CNC machining that was not sanded out. Yours is a bit more severe than mine, but not too much. I saw it in the store, and it didn't bother me.

Not sure about the tuning stability, though.
Metalhead likes this.
Unread 01-08-2014, 04:04 AM   #11 (permalink)

Well, you really could cut a brand new guitar some slack for not staying in tune perfectly right away. Strings need to be stretched, and the originals are probably not in top shape / quality..
Neck is probably just 'setting in', and the nut needs to 'wear out' a bit - like it has been said, some pencil graphite, and light sanding if needed should do nicely.

But anyway, yeah, I'd return it too before I started working on it.
Metalhead likes this.
happy_tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-08-2014, 04:55 AM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorian View Post
Metalhead -- I have a similar periodic pattern of indents on the outer edge of the body my faded special. I think it looks like chatter from the CNC machining that was not sanded out. Yours is a bit more severe than mine, but not too much. I saw it in the store, and it didn't bother me.

Not sure about the tuning stability, though.
I agree. I would expect shipping damage to have broken the finish if it made ridges that deep. It does look like chatter. Some of the things that could cause this are if the body blank was not secured tightly enough during machining, if the body was fed too quickly as that surface was machined, or, possibly, if the cutting head was just beginning to dull.

I do agree with the others about returning it if it bothers you.
happy_tom and Metalhead like this.
Unread 01-08-2014, 05:21 AM   #13 (permalink)

If you have to ship the guitar back at your own expense, that's a reason to hesitate.
Could a person buff that kind of finish flaw out by hand?

If you're expecting whatever old strings your guitar has on it to stay in tune, (or sound good) don't expect that. New strings is step number one (if you decide to keep the guitar and live with, and/or correct its flaws).

Good quality is something we expect from Gibson, and Gibson guitars are under warranty for flaws in workmanship, so you ought to get satisfaction if you report your problem to the right place. I agree with Biddlin that you should work backward from the point of sale.

Sorry to hear about your experience with this... New Guitar Day is supposed to be a joy, not a heartbreak. Personally, I tend to get attached to my instruments very quickly, so I'd be tempted to try and buff the finish smoother, lube the nut slots and bridge saddles, oil the fingerboard, put on a new set of D'Addarios and rock. All my guitars have dings and scrapes, almost all done by me. *shrugs
Metalhead likes this.
Col Mustard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-08-2014, 05:33 AM   #14 (permalink)

I'd send it back without hesitation. I can handle the odd nick and chip from playing and use but not having that marking to start with
Metalhead likes this.
jeremy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-08-2014, 02:52 PM   #15 (permalink)

I'm sticking with my assessment that it has been BUMPED AND BANGED. And that would make me send it back, right now. Serious structural damage may have occurred that isn't yet apparent, but could lead to serious wood splitting later.
Biddlin ;>)/
Metalhead likes this.

for Total Obfuscation.
[DITTO]
Unread 01-08-2014, 03:59 PM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by smitty_p View Post
I agree. I would expect shipping damage to have broken the finish if it made ridges that deep.

Not necesarily with these 'worn' finishes, there's no clear coat to break, and the white base is much more flexible.

It is possible it was done at factory, but I bet on shipping damage.
Metalhead likes this.
happy_tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-08-2014, 09:39 PM   #17 (permalink)

I'd like to send it back but i may have to keep it, I will inform me tomorrow at the post office to find out how it may cost returning it but if it is too expensive, i do not intend to pay $ 150 for the return. I'll see. Usually this guitar was 590$ and i got it for 470$. 540$ with taxes, at least it was in discount. I dont know if i could have another discount from bestbuy for the flaw if i keep it but i guess no. I sent them a email for returning it on their website, but no answer... i'll have to call.

Quote:
I'm sticking with my assessment that it has been BUMPED AND BANGED. And that would make me send it back, right now. Serious structural damage may have occurred that isn't yet apparent, but could lead to serious wood splitting later.
Biddlin ;>)/
If i have to keep it i hope not! but yes it could has been threw in shipping. I thought the mark was made by the zipper of the gig bag during shipping or it was made like that and painted right away..

Quote:
Could a person buff that kind of finish flaw out by hand?
Col Mustard
If i dont send it back i'd like to be able to repair it myself with my father who know more than me how to work wood but I fear to make worse... even with help. Would you have some tips? like what paint to use and how to apply, sanding paper

Quote:
If you're expecting whatever old strings your guitar has on it to stay in tune, (or sound good) don't expect that. New strings is step number one (if you decide to keep the guitar and live with, and/or correct its flaws).
Col Mustard
Well my Jackson had very old strings, everyone could try it in the store but still it was not always out of tune like my SGJ. I also bought a Squier Bullet Strat HSS lately from futureshop and it stay in tune a bit better but the nut is more deep than on the SGJ and look more like the nut on my Std. I bet the nut is probably the problem but i agree that its always better with fresh strings.

Quote:
Good quality is something we expect from Gibson, and Gibson guitars are under warranty for flaws in workmanship, so you ought to get satisfaction if you report your problem to the right place. I agree with Biddlin that you should work backward from the point of sale.
Col Mustard
Definetly, but Gibson would probably want me to send it back (to USA) as Bestbuy.

Quote:
Sorry to hear about your experience with this... New Guitar Day is supposed to be a joy, not a heartbreak. Personally, I tend to get attached to my instruments very quickly, so I'd be tempted to try and buff the finish smoother, lube the nut slots and bridge saddles, oil the fingerboard, put on a new set of D'Addarios and rock. All my guitars have dings and scrapes, almost all done by me. *shrugs
Col Mustard
Yes it really breaks my fun, if it was flawless i would not have to worry about all that I'd just have fun with my new guitar and yeah haha
my oldest guitars has normal wear too but not so bad, what can we do
Quote:
I'd send it back without hesitation. I can handle the odd nick and chip from playing and use but not having that marking to start with
jeremy
I think the same as you only i really have bad luck. If I have to return it to my expenses and insure it against loss i think it will be too much expensive regarding the price of the guitar. I will inquire but still.

Quote:
Gibsons very often need some nut work, I'm willing to bet your tuning issues are because of the nut.

If you hear a Ping noise while tuning up, your nut isn't properly cut. Sometimes all it takes is a little pencil lead on the nut slots, sometimes they need to be filed down a bit.

Kind of depends on if you changed the strings to a different size than gibson put on stock, if your using the stock strings or the same size than most likely you can just put some pencil lead in the slots and you'll be good to go. That goes a long way
TheBuffalo
It still have the stock strings and i use 9-42s for all my guitars exept my Tele. You are probably right for the nut. No ping noise i've noticed but when i tune a string, it seem to me like its slightly blocked at the nut and suddenly it sound to have been tightened or loosened more than I would have liked and goes out of tune easily when i'm playing.

Thanks everyone for your answers and comments, I appreciate. It is a very welcoming forum

Last edited by Metalhead; 01-08-2014 at 10:18 PM.
Unread 01-09-2014, 12:27 AM   #18 (permalink)

The SGJ's nut is intentionally shallow. I'll bet a set of Ernie Ball strings if measured at the first fret, it will be 1/32" on the bass side ans 1/64" on the treble. Might need pencil shavings or nut sauce. Those lasers sight that measurement pretty close . The inability to hold tune might be another sign of serious structural damage. SEND IT BACK AND MAKE THEM GIVE YOU ANOTHER ONE!

Biddlin ;>)/

for Total Obfuscation.
[DITTO]
Unread 01-09-2014, 10:43 AM   #19 (permalink)

Definitely explore all of your refund options. Make them pay to ship it back.

I wouldn't bother trying to fix it unless you intend to refinish it. That looks like it will need some serious sanding to smooth down and that will take the finish right off the guitar.

It does look like a machining flaw. Especially considering the box was undamaged.

Tags
sgj