10-12 watt practice amps. Which one?

Discussion in 'Amps & Cabs' started by Flgatorgirl, Feb 26, 2014.

1. Flgatorgirl

Flgatorgirl Member

Hey all,
    Looking for a 10-12 watt practice amp under $100. Eyes on Fender Frontman 10, VOX Pathfinder 10G and Orange Crush pix CR12L. ANY help would be appreciated from the group!! :)

2. HawaiiSG

HawaiiSG Active Member

Recently I've been considering a Fender Frontman II/Starcaster 25R which is about $100 used. It's a little bigger but it should still be in your price range.

I had a Frontman 10 and it was fine as a practice amp but the drive was pretty muddy. All it had was a on/off switch for the drive circuit so I would dial it back a little on the guitar's volume control. Usually I used a distortion pedal instead but on the go when testing out guitars to buy I would just carry around the amp. It was very portable and lightweight.

3. frankd

frankd Well-Known Member

4. Biddlin

Biddlin Well-Known Member

I have a Vox Pathfinder 15r that is a trooper! The Orange Crush would be my first choice from this group, however. I believe it has the best overall sound quality, with the Frontman in a close second.

5. eS.G.

eS.G. Well-Known Member

Depends on whatcha want. I recently got the VOX Pathfinder 10 (LOVE IT) sound is so LARGE for such a small amp, and they are freakin incredibly cheap (70.00 new at sweetwater) got mine on fleabay for 50.00 only negative no reverb, which I like, but I got a pedal for that.
    The sound is very very good with dirty or clean, and the SG rocks through it. If you want all the bells and whistles get the VOX mini3 or the mini5 they offer amp models, effects and mini5 rythm has built in background beats!!!

And lets not forget the Bugera 15
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EvBk5Ta2CeU]BUGERA - BC15 Play through - By GearTestUa - YouTube[/ame]

6. Flgatorgirl

Flgatorgirl Member

My Marshall handles the effects, just looking for a basic practice amp with great cleans and overdrive.

7. eS.G.

eS.G. Well-Known Member

Pathfinder 10 hands down.
    [​IMG]

I have had a bunch of small watt solid state amps.....not sure why, maybe its the cheap bastard thing.....Peavey, Marshal, Gorilla, Fender, Behringer, Roland .

For under 100.00 this VOX is damn good and it sounds like the AC30 setting on the larger VOX Valvetronix I had. (which was my favorite and most used setting) so I am really happy with it. Has clean and a very nice gain, and (IMHO) damn good looks.
    But I would also make a strong argument to kick in the extra 8.00 and get the Bugera which has a real tube overdrive. :-)

Bugera BC15 15W 1x8 Vintage Tube Guitar Combo Amp | GuitarCenter

8. Tobacco Worm

Tobacco Worm Well-Known Member

The Fender Frontman II 25R (recently discontinued :() is a great amp that plays very well at low volume and can, if called upon, get quite loud for it's size. The clean, with the real spring reverb inside, is stunning. The OD channel shares the EQ with the clean channel, but the OD is great if you take the time to set it up. The gain control will take it from a mild OD well into some serious hard clipping with a smooth edge that rivals even my old RAT pedal for drive.

Some scoff at this amp, but I'd still have mine if I wasn't forced to sell most of my gear for unexpected costs that needed to be covered. They can be found used for a reasonable cost, and even the stock 10" in it has good tone. Drop in a Jensen Falcon 10 speaker and you'll swear you're playing a larger amp with a 12" in it. :)

9. frankd

frankd Well-Known Member

Some nice amps listed but I wouldn't trade my Little giant for any of them
    why? built like tanks all tube super cleans and they handle being pushed to the max with no hum hiss or fuss and there is a ga zillion mod options
    for them. the combo has a 12 inch eminence.
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uACfzWYMMYQ]Blackheart Little Giant - YouTube[/ame]
    or as Gman dude says they RIPP A$$ LOL
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mIZyIn7Xq6M]Blackheart Little Giant guitar amplifier demo with SG - YouTube[/ame]
    the epiphone valve Jr Hot rod is another but it took me two
    years of amp hunting to find mine . good luck amp hunting

10. eS.G.

eS.G. Well-Known Member

No argument frankd, but the O.P. is looking for "under 100.00" amps. The Blackheart is very very cool, but double the requisite price.

Never heard of the Kustom KG but 39.99 DAAAANG I might need one to keep at the office!:)

11. FFXIhealer

FFXIhealer Active Member

Fender Mustang I.

12. Flgatorgirl

Flgatorgirl Member

Wow! That Little Giant does RIPP A$$! But, I will still have to stay closer to the $100 mark. Perhaps a bit over it but not double.

Now that Bugera is a sweet thang! Yes, digging that tone!
    Guess I will have to delve deeper into the amp hole. Please give me more options!!

13. eS.G.

eS.G. Well-Known Member

14. Heket

Heket Well-Known Member

Hope I'm not too late for the party!

I have no experience of the amps you mentioned, but those three amps you mentioned made by 3 brands with their own distinct tones. Vox are well known for their jangly, bright cleans and honky drive sounds, Fender.. I have no experience with any Fender amps, someone fill me in :D. Orange are darker and warmer with a smoother, yet less precise, overdrive sound.

How about you tell us a little more about the type of tone you want and the level of overdrive? If you don't need heavy distortion then that opens up the amp field a lot; if you do then you'll need a modeller (or pedal) for that price and size range.

Other options - The modellers that come in that range such as Valvetronix (I think these are a bit more expensive) and Peavey Vypers. Both have a higher wattage than what you asked for, but the Valvetronix at least has a variable wattage dial. Don't forget about Fender Mustangs too! They have some fans on here, though I believe they are 20W.

Hmm what else... $100 isn't a lot! You must get cheaper amps than we do in the UK. Aha, here are more!

Blackstar's tube modeller ID Core range (SS modeller but models tube types rather than amps) have just brought out a 10W version. There's also the little Laney LX10, also 10W. I don't know anything about either of these amps, just something for you to explore :)

15. ghostwolf

ghostwolf Well-Known Member

i was going to suggest the Fender Mustang, but it looks like Heket beat me to it. Great little amps, and very versatile.

16. Flgatorgirl

Flgatorgirl Member

You are definitely not to late for the party!
    I am new to electric (old to acoustic) and don't really know/understand all the amp theories and mechanics so starting out with a practice amp that has basic capabilities yet room to grow/learn on without breaking the bank is what I am search of. I have been trying to listen to various YouTube clips (we know how some of those sound...) to find a tone I like. By just keeping with clean, OD and EQ settings I can hone my amp inadequacies!!

So, everyone in Amp land...you know what I am in search of. $150 max. 10-12 watt was a jumping off point, so I guess it doesn't really matter.

Thanks in advance!

17. SG John

SG John Well-Known Member

I have a Pathfinder 15R. It's quite a good little amp. I found mine at a shop used for $45.00. There are some bargains to be found on occasion.

18. Buzz

Buzz Member

Yamaha THR10 (or 5). Can't imagine a better practice amp for the money. I got the THR5 for $160 OTD at Guitar Center brand new.

Do it! :dude:
    Buzz

19. frankd

frankd Well-Known Member

My point Is find something that you will be happy with
    for awhile. decide on what ya want and go for it. I spent a easy
    3 months hunting a deal on a bh 5 got the head new 119. then
    I hunted for a new bh15 under 2 billls. then the epiphone
    valve jr hot rod I hunted a long while till I finaly got one .
    the bh5 has been modified upgraded. the bh15 is about to get upgraded
    and eventually the hot rod will get upgraded a good class a tube amp
    will serve you well a long time and can always get upgraded
    down the road. also there are a few guys who build tube amps
    and sell just the amp you build or supply your own cab.
    and Esg rock on man no disrespect bro the v5 is a coo; amp too.
    with time effort and discipline one can score decent amps at a very fair price.
    goodluck!

20. Gemini75

Gemini75 Active Member

Why buy new when you can get a better amp used for only a little more?