10-12 watt practice amps. Which one?

Discussion in 'Amps & Cabs' started by Flgatorgirl, Feb 26, 2014.

1. Flgatorgirl

Flgatorgirl Member

Thanks all for input and ideas!

2. eS.G.

eS.G. Well-Known Member

Everything you need nothing you don't (no need for extra pedals or anything to start) can get great tones, clean to dirty includes foot switch has reverb and looks clean as all get out 1 bill.
    Fender Frontman 25R w/ Foot Switch

Many of the modeling amps have soooooooooomany settings and dials knobs buttons gears levers tubes switches angles frills, window dressing, errrrr.....they are WAY complicated IMHO I had a VOX AD30VT GREAT amp truly awesome, but I needed to take a week off work to learn how to use all it was capable of.......and honestly it was capable of WAAY more than I ever will be. So I sold it, went to the VOX pathfinder 10, simple, clean/overdrive--zero "extras" and I like it that way. I can flip it on for 30 min play nad shut it down with out worry of "tube" warming cooling etc etc.... this is a K.I.S.S. principle amp and I am very happy with it.
    For a beginner amp user.......get the Fender (if its still available) or order a VOX from sweetwater you will not be displeased. And both have growth abilities when your ready.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z8qWcmKUIQM"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z8qWcmKUIQM[/ame]

3. Heket

Heket Well-Known Member

Just curious now, why such the low budget for your amp? You have some fine guitars, yet you're limiting yourself to $100 for one of the most important pieces of gear in your setup. Or perhaps, coming from an acoustic background, you are underestimating the importance of the amp?

Go used, up your budget, increase your options. If you need to save a few months, so be it (I notice you just about a guitar :D). Beware the false economy! If you think you're really going to get into electric then spend the time and money to look beyond the quick fix. Not having a go at you, just passing on some wisdom that I have learned by experience. There's nothing wrong with the entry-level amps, but you already have one and it may be time to look beyond, look at an amp that could carry you to a small jam/gigging session, an amp that has a bigger speaker for more punch (or a separate head and cabinet). If you buy a head and cab separately it'll cost more upfront but then you have the freedom to tailor your sound according to where you are - 1x12" cab for home, 4x12" out and about. Or perhaps buy a combo that has the ability to be used as a head.

Something else we should cover - volume. Are you restricted at home to how loud you play? I'm always on the lookout for bedroom amps, so I may have a few suggestions on that front :) In fact, I'm saving for a "big amp that can also do bedroom tones" right now. If you can stretch to buy a head and a cabinet, the Orange Micro Terror gets rave reviews around here.

4. Flgatorgirl

Flgatorgirl Member

Totally true on all aspects, and it comes down to the "bedroom" amp. That is what I am aiming for. I love to play, but just for me an a few friends at home. That is what puts a smile on my face!

5. eS.G.

eS.G. Well-Known Member

get a bugera get a bugera get a bugera .......hang on.... take a breath........get a bugera get a bugera get a bugera.....ugh.....:laugh2:

6. Flgatorgirl

Flgatorgirl Member

After you tease me with the Bugera??? :ohno:

eS.G. likes this.
  7. Heket

Heket Well-Known Member

Bedroom amp - got ya! You know, I think eS.G. might have something to input here. What do you think? :hmm:

Most of my experience comes from bedroom amps ranging from headphone plugs to tiny tube amps.

I reckon then you need just a simple, analogue solid state, especially considering you already have a modeller. You could try for valve amps with low or variable wattage but you'll be leaving your budget range pretty fast. I'd say go with the Pathfinder (I am biased towards Vox though :D). The only reason I'm not mentioning the Bugera is because I have absolutely zero knowledge on that brand and I don't think they're even for sale here.

Oh. One thing to take into account. Do you have a stereo system or home cinema or something like that? Or a set of computer speakers with subwoofer? I currently play my Lil Night Train through an old set of computer speakers using the line out, and I do the same with my Vox AmPlug. If you have access to a powered speaker system that opens up a whole new box of tricks. Obviously a home cinema set isn't very portable, but it's an idea.

8. Flgatorgirl

Flgatorgirl Member

WOW! A whole new avenue...think I'll stick with the old school amp theory!

9. eS.G.

eS.G. Well-Known Member

bugera bugera bugera bugera bugera bugera bugera.....:applause: bugera bugera bugera bugera :naughty: b-u-g-e-r-a :wave: New, 108.00 new, and has tasty tube-ie-ness......I could be wrong, but I thinbk that is the cheapest new actual tube amp going (Been searching myself)

There are smaller VOX FENDER MARSHALL Danelectro and ORANGE mini amps....or micro stacks. All you will note (except the Danelectro) all are very close in price to a new VOX Pathfinder 10 (which is very nice) And here we go.........
    Marshall MS-2 1-Watt Battery Powered Black Micro Amp | Sweetwater.com
    Vox amPlug Headphone Guitar Amp - AC30 | Sweetwater.com
    Orange Crush PiX CR3 1x4" 3-Watt Micro Combo Orange | Sweetwater.com
    Orange Crush Pix CR6S 2x4" 6-Watt Stereo Combo Orange | Sweetwater.com
    Fender Accessories Mini Tone-Master | Sweetwater.com
    Fender Accessories Mini '57 Twin-Amp | Sweetwater.com
    Danelectro N-10 HoneyTone Mini Guitar Amp at zZounds

And some general info.....on BUGERA:thumb:
    Behringer - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    BUGERA-AMPS: Why Bugera

TRUTH....I just wanna know somebody that has one :) :dude:

10. Susihukkanen

Susihukkanen Well-Known Member

Somehow I have found that 10-20W amps might be a bit over for the purpose OP said. 20watter goes pretty well with band volumes and that is quite annoying if played at home. So I would recommend looking the "new" 1-5W range. There are plenty of good option depending what kind of tone you like. At the moment my favorite in that range is VOX Lil Night Train, 2W head and small cabinet. Ok, it was about double the originally mentioned 100 money (€, $, £?) target, but it is certainly a good amp. I have had Marshall MG15, but that was in my opinion not a very good amp. It sounded too much like a cardboard box. And in general, +1 what Heket just wrote.

11. Heket

Heket Well-Known Member

10-12W isn't too bad for solid state, which is what the original suggestions are. You rarely find 1-5W solid state amps and tube amps are, as you said, well beyond the budget. You know how much I love the Lil Night Train but it's easily double the budget if not more, seeing as it needs a cabinet. As I say, upping the budget does increase the options a lot, but the small solid states are fine for purpose too.

12. Alex_SG

Alex_SG Well-Known Member

13. Susihukkanen

Susihukkanen Well-Known Member

One thing I forgot to mention is that since the amps in this price range are quite light weight construction, the cabinet tend to "color" the voicing quite a bit. So the amp itself gives neutral sound but the cabinet does not. So one way to go is to find a inexpensive head and put the most of the money to a cabinet that sounds pleasant to your ears.

Dorian and sg jones like this.
  14. Flgatorgirl

Flgatorgirl Member

Anyone played one of the Fender Champions? 20 or 40?
    Yes, I am still looking for an amp.

15. eS.G.

eS.G. Well-Known Member

Isn't amp shopping almost as fun as guitar shopping????:)

I have played a friends Fender Champ20 as I recall it was a nice sound, but that was using a Yamaha bargain basement "shredder" guitar and distortion pedals---that I honestly can't remember which ones he had--- I am not much help am I??:dunno::(

16. Flgatorgirl

Flgatorgirl Member

Lol...and frustrating!!

17. eS.G.

eS.G. Well-Known Member

Has anyone mentioned the BUGERA 15w ? BUWAAAHAHHAAAAAAA :laugh2::laugh2::laugh2:

[​IMG]

:facepalm:

18. chilipeppermaniac

chilipeppermaniac Well-Known Member

19. chilipeppermaniac

chilipeppermaniac Well-Known Member

20. WoodenDuckMaker

WoodenDuckMaker Member

I use a Fender Mustang I amp I bought for $60 off Craigslist more than I use my nice tube amps.

Its just better for playing at lower volumes, and because of the sound modeling, effects, and extra features the tube amps dont have (headphone jack, aux input, built in tuner).

However, you have to be a little savvy with tech stuff in order to get the most out of the amp, which means connecting it to your computer and downloading user made presets which sound better than the stock ones.

I've got some great marshall, fender, vox settings that sound really good.

I'm planning on making some youtube demo's of it. People just don't believe that a $60 solid state amp can sound good.