1961 SG Special question

Discussion in 'Vintage SG' started by CCC, Jul 30, 2017.

1. CCC

CCC Member

Hello all,

I've been looking all over for a Special. I've got a 64 Junior and a 63 Standard. Couldn't be happier.

Love the 1 11/16th so I'm looking at 61-64 (additionally, value seems to drop around 65-from what I've read).

I found a 61 that I really like. Any issues with the 61 and that bridge or is there something else I should be looking at? I obviously don't want to put a new bridge on unless the play is poor but since I have a 63/4, it'd be nice to get a 61 if possible.

So, thoughts on the 61 Special?

Thanks to all,

Chris

2. cerebral gasket

cerebral gasket Well-Known Member

Were you able to play the 61 Special in question?
    Do you have a preference of neck profiles?
    61 neck profiles are usually Slim Taper.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2017
  3. CCC

CCC Member

Will be no chance to play before. Reputable dealer. There will be refund period.
    My favorite necks are the 63 (fast, I adore) and the 64 Jr. Little more chunk but awesome. I've got a 61 RI in addition to the 63/4. No issues. Love the early necks (although I realize no two are the same).

Thanks for the response cerebral gasket. Much appreciated

cerebral gasket likes this.
  4. Voxman

Voxman Moderator Staff Member

Mine is in the 20,000 #'s and it's very close to the 61' Standard I have. Most might gripe about the bridge but I tune a certain way to make the tuning issues work to my advantage! 61' necks are usually very wide but very thin between the back of the neck and the fretboard!

5. CCC

CCC Member

Voxman.

I love the early 60s neck. I have a 63 that's neck is exactly as you've described. I'm a huge fan.

6. Chubbles

Chubbles Well-Known Member

It's a little hard to find replacement pickguards. The pickup spacing is a little different.

7. flognoth

flognoth Active Member

Mojo Axe <http://www.mojoaxe.com/> might be able to help. I've never gotten anything from there, but I've been thinking about it. Looks like they have some decent replacement pickguards. Apparently, they build custom ones too.

If you get anything from there please report back on it.