1961 SG Standard build

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Silvertone, May 19, 2020 at 12:37 PM.

1. Silvertone

Silvertone Well-Known Member

Good afternoon. I have been building a few SGs lately and have always been interesting in vintage Gibsons. So I thought I would build myself a replica of the first SG, which was actually named the Les Paul.

I'll be asking for help with any info that the knowledgeable people on this forum would like to share. I've measured a few early 60's SGs and will start compiling drawings, sketches, and 3d models to aid in my pursuit.

I want to thank you in advance for any and all help given. Thanks.

Regards Peter.

Last edited: May 20, 2020 at 7:53 AM
    SG John likes this.
  2. Silvertone

My background is construction documents for Architects and Engineers, so I like to draw CAD drawings of all my builds. I started doing drawings of SGs a few years ago. One of the first starting points was a model posted on the MLP forum by user GooCart. Magnus, I believe, is an industrial designer and friends with the twin brothers who have a Guitar museum in Sweden. He created a model and shared it in the forum of a 1963 SG JR.
    1576936580996.png

I pulled apart this model and imported into my CAM program.
    CNC_preview_front.jpg

Then I used the outline and carves and filled in all the other holes and will use it as a starting point for my CAM model. That way I can keep this as the master body for different types of builds. SG JR, Standard, Custom etc and even different years that may have slightly different dimensions.
    Fusion01.JPG

Fusion 360 is what I use for CAM and design and it also does drawings -
    drawing04.jpg

Cheers Peter.

Last edited: May 19, 2020 at 11:02 PM
    SG John and Satellitedog like this.
  3. Silvertone

I measured up a '65 SG that a friend had and cut a couple bodies as tests for that design. I used the dimensions from that guitar for the pickup locations and depths as well as the "swimming pool" control cavity route that had a brass shielding insert.
    Fusion05.JPG

Fusion04.JPG

Here are a couple bodies I cut as tests -
    bodies.jpg

Cheers Peter.

Last edited: May 20, 2020 at 7:04 AM
  4. Silvertone

So on to my CAD files as I am creating a neck in my CAM software as well and want to make sure it is all laid out properly.

First question - scale lengths for 61 Les Paul (SG) - All the info I could find on scale length was that it is 24 3/4", now is that a literal measurement? 12.375" at the 12th and 24.750" at the bridge? (non-compensated).

Gibson seemed to use a lot of different scale lengths all around that dimension and they also seemed to create a lot of guitars that were off slightly, from an improper template?? The Les Paul Standards back in the day were rule of 18, which is around 24.536" also there was the modern vintage scale of 24 9/16" (24.5625") and then the more common modern scale of 24 5/8" (24.625").

I have drawn a 24 9/16" (24.5625") drawing as I had a nice EI rosewood board to that scale and frankly it doesn't make that much difference for the neck or the body dimensions. Obviously just the fret spacing.

Capture.JPG

I also updated my control cavity to a drawing that Dan at mojoaxe sent me from his 61 SG. The neck measurements were taken from a bunch of drawings I purchased or downloaded from the web and also the measurements from the '65 SG I measured up. Basically the nut is a bit thinner and the profile is also slimmer than an LP Standard.

I created a Fusion 360 model for the neck as well.
    Capture3.JPG

and put it together all into one model with some pickups etc. I even modeled a Bigsby B5
    Capture.JPG

Cheers Peter.

Last edited: May 20, 2020 at 7:44 AM
  5. Silvertone

So the first full guitar I built with these CAM models was with the spalted figured maple body and a 5 piece laminated mahogany maple neck. EI rosewood fret board with cellulose nitrate inlays and neck binding.

IMG_6004.JPG

This my friend really liked the completed guitar and his wife purchased it from me as a gift for Christmas last year. Here it is finished up.

IMG_6798_lo.jpg

Cheers Peter.

Piper68Special likes this.
  6. Von Trapp

Von Trapp Active Member

That's an interesting project!

7. Daniel Carneglia

Daniel Carneglia New Member

Subscribed. The ‘61 Les Paul and the ‘67 are my favorite SGs.

BTW, you can also make a 3pups Custom version out of the 67.

I can send the custom pickguard drawing if needed.
    B313B3A7-D135-4B50-B65B-01B0DDDFF889.jpeg

Silvertone likes this.
  8. Daniel Carneglia

Daniel Carneglia New Member

BTW, do you have more info regarding the shielding plate? I couldn’t find repro parts on the market, just original vintage ones but “vintage” expensive...

9. Silvertone

I measured the size of the cavity but didn't take any info on the shielding plate. It was pretty simple. Like this -
    The-Guitar-Magazine-gear-29_01-7-696x1043.jpg

Cheers Peter.