1962? Les Paul Custom

Discussion in 'Vintage SG' started by Sg Custom, Jan 25, 2007.

1. Sg Custom

Sg Custom New Member

Gday,

I have been endeavoring to find an Approximate value for my SG Les Paul Custom, its was passed on to me by my Father who originally received it as a gift from his parents, i haven't found another one (exactly) like it on the Internet but i would love to know what to insure it for, the serial number is 48715 (making it a 1962 model?), the closest picture i have found was in the 1962 catalogue although mine is slightly different, ive done a bit of research and asked a few people but i would love also to find out more general information on this model of SG, Hope someone can help me?

Cheers!

Just tried to add some pictures but the insert image button just added some brackets with img in between, my Avatar pic is of my Guitar but i also took some more detailed pictures with the intention of showing you, do i have to host the images elsewhere or should the insert image button work?

2. If You Want Blood

If You Want Blood Active Member

Oh sweet holy....

If you need help postin pictures of that heavenly 6 string I'd be glad to lend a hand.

Sincerely,
    WELCOME to the forum!

3. Sg Custom

Sg Custom New Member

Cool,

Can i send them to you and get you to post them for me? Do i find your email at your profile?

Thanks

4. NeoConMan

NeoConMan New Member

:Droolin: :Droolin: :Droolin: :Droolin: :Droolin: :Droolin: :Droolin: :Droolin: :Droolin: :Droolin: :Droolin: :Droolin: :Droolin:

Uh.... yeah, um... welcome to the forum.
    Can I get you a beer? Have a seat. Um.........

Did I say welcome to the forum? :?

:notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:

O0
    :-)
    Neo

5. If You Want Blood

If You Want Blood Active Member

Here are the pictures

[img width=360 height=480]http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a44/gibson_sg463/Gibson_1.jpg[/img]

[img width=360 height=480]http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a44/gibson_sg463/Gibson_10.jpg[/img]

[img width=640 height=480]http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a44/gibson_sg463/Gibson_3.jpg[/img]

[img width=360 height=480]http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a44/gibson_sg463/Gibson_7.jpg[/img]

[img width=640 height=480]http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a44/gibson_sg463/Gibson_6.jpg[/img]

She's a beauty dude. Killer axe.

6. Sg Custom

Sg Custom New Member

Thanks for posting the Pics for me,

If anyone can tell me anything about the Model it would be appreciated, an approx value or a similar one for Sale would also be good (Definitely never Selling it tho!)

Cheers
    :)

7. peterbright

peterbright Active Member

She is a beauty!

8. guitarweasel

guitarweasel Well-Known Member

9. javamagic

javamagic Well-Known Member

10. TNT

TNT Active Member

www.gruhn.com
    EC1943 Gibson Les Paul/SG Custom, 1961, EXC, professionally refretted, back of body and neck oversprayed, formerly owned and played by Danny Gatton, also played by Buddy Guy, Gibson Protector HC......$27500

For a valuable guitar like that I would have Gruhn's guitars professionally appraise it.

Attached Files:

11. NeoConMan

NeoConMan New Member

I second the appraisal advice. It IS insured, right?

PM me if you want to talk about coverage on gear. My whole collection is insured for less than you might put on that.

Neo

12. Treadric

Treadric Member

I have a good friend that I have known for many years who has a '62 just like that....he has been nearly homeless at times...homeless at others....and through it all the one thing he would never ever do is sell his one and only '62. He's doing better now and has desevered so for a long time. That guitar has always been his one true love.

13. NeoConMan

NeoConMan New Member

[quote author=Treadric link=topic=12247.msg160925#msg160925 date=1169792952]
    I have a good friend that I have known for many years who has a '62 just like that....he has been nearly homeless at times...homeless at others....and through it all the one thing he would never ever do is sell his one and only '62. He's doing better now and has desevered so for a long time. That guitar has always been his one true love.
    [/quote]

Ya' know Tred,
    Some on the forum may get tired of hearing about divorce, but I was forced to liquidate my guns and guitars to almost nothing in 1999. I hung onto a few pieces, and you'd be surprised that NOBODY wants the responsibility of keeping ANYTHING at their house while you're homeless. They don't want to be involved and you can't afford storage (even with the dubious security they offer).

There will NOT be a next time...

Neo

14. Treadric

Treadric Member

He stayed with me as long as he wanted to...and can again if need be.
    I guess you find out what friends you really have when you fall on hard times.
    So far I've only found out through my friends as I've not been there to that extent.

PS: I think his has "Les Paul" printed on the neck adjustment cover plate.

15. Dave

Dave Well-Known Member

Guitar that was handed down to you from your father who received id it as a gift from his parents.
    Value= Priceless!

16. javamagic

javamagic Well-Known Member

[quote author=Dave link=topic=12247.msg163313#msg163313 date=1172356550]
    Guitar that was handed down to you from your father who received id it as a gift from his parents.
    Value= Priceless!
    [/quote]
    True. I've thought about giving some of my gear to my kids but their mother's made them so bloody selfish and materialistic that I just know they'd sell it! >:(

17. SG Lou

SG Lou Moderator Staff Member

[quote author=NeoConMan link=topic=12247.msg160928#msg160928 date=1169793817]
    Ya' know Tred,
    Some on the forum may get tired of hearing about divorce, but I was forced to liquidate my guns and guitars to almost nothing in 1999.
    There will NOT be a next time...

Neo
    [/quote]

Amen Neo. I too went through the same situation back in 1991. Had to unload a JCM800 half stack, 2 SG's, Strat and an early 70's
    3 pup Black Beauty LP Custom >:(
    It killed me but I had no choice, but never again !

18. Sg Custom

Sg Custom New Member

Your Right Dave i do see it as more than just a Value but i do have to try to keep it insured correctly! Anyway ive been playing this Guitar and only this Guitar since i was 12 yrs old! I cant play other Guitars nearly as well, i think the design and feel of the old beast has shaped my playing style more than any song or music style ever could of, i bought a Fender Strat as a second Guitar but it felt like a Cavemans Club and i just hated it! (it was a cheapo Mexican one i do have to mention!), as long as can keep the fingers moving i will keep playing my Guitar!

19. Yori Halford

Yori Halford Member

I posted in this thread before but it's gone...
    I'm glad to see you having the same SG custom. The serial # is very close to yours. Mine's 468711!

20. TNT

TNT Active Member

48711? :?