1965 SG Jr/Special for restoration

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Nicholas Cioffi, Feb 25, 2020.

1. Nicholas Cioffi

Nicholas Cioffi New Member

Hi guys,
    Saw this one on Reverb. Like to get some thoughts on weather it could be restored, what it’s worth and what it started life as.

I suspect it’s a 1965 SG jr that’s been turned into a special.

No fret board binding, but a Gibson headstock inlay. Thoughts appreciated

Gibson SG Special 1961 - 1966 Vintage P90 Player Grade project relic
    https://reverb.com/item/31962256-gi...are&utm_campaign=listing&utm_content=31962256

Attached Files:

2. donepearce

donepearce Well-Known Member

Well, it can't be restored with half the lower bout missing, but it can certainly be made into a very playable guitar. I'd offer £500 absolute tops.

3. Norton

Norton Well-Known Member

Yeah that asking price is WAY way way out of line for how absolutely hacked to **** that guitar is.

Not that it couldn’t be made to play...but it’ll never look right not with the headstock “re shaping” etc.

4. Von Trapp

Von Trapp Active Member

2G for that?! Crack cocaine must be cheap where he comes from. Can it be restored? Yes, anything can. Or rather, if you mean restored as in put in original condition, no, fixed - yes. Considering the work it would take, which I personally quite like, I wouldn't pay much for it. For a couple of hundred, yeah, why not. It's totally up to you what you want to pay and what you want to put into it. I like a good challenge, which this mos def is, but there's a limit on how much I'm willing to pay for it.

5. donepearce

You're absolutely right, I was being way too generous at £500.

6. Von Trapp

Von Trapp Active Member

Well, it IS highly subjective of course but I think we could all agree that the seller is a hopeless dreamer. (and if he paid anything like what he's asking I feel sorry for him) It should perhaps be pointed out that the "restoration" would be purely for ones own sake since one would never get back even close to what one put in it if sold. Nothing wrong with that, just good to know, I've seen plenty of "Customized and upgraded" guitars for sale where the owner actually think he's increased the value of the guitar with his hard work. (and sometimes not so hard, see for instance https://www.ebay.com/itm/Gibson-SG-...-Heavily-Upgraded-Buddha-Guitar-/193302199699)

7. donepearce

Quite right, but our poster can start from a far better place for much less money if he simply crosses this one off the list and keeps looking.

8. Von Trapp

Von Trapp Active Member

Precisely, unless seller wakes up from his dream and sells it for something like we mentioned. Then it could be a fun project, I'd take it on in a heartbeat.

9. scotstandard

scotstandard New Member

I am the seller. Nicholas messaged me on Reverb and we had a nice conversation about the guitar. I asked him to post this on the SG forum to see what you guys thought.
    What year do you think it is? He is thinking 65 but I still think its the earlier version. Im not a vintage SG expert. This is your wheelhouse. Id love to know for sure.

No I'm not on crack. At the bottom of the listing i wrote that Im having a hard time pricing this and I started at $3K and have been dropping it steadily . I know its not an a $3K or $2K guitar, but its easier to go down than go up.

I was gonna fix the body issue and do a refin on it but even if I did all that I wouldn't play it anymore than I already do. Id like to see it fixed and refinished.
    Its a cool guitar and feels great. I have way to many guitars and Im really a surf guitar guy so I play Jazzmasters the most. Tele's and Les Pauls are my other go to. I need to thin out my collection (ahmm hord) a little bit.
    I worked at a used guitar store for 10 years and am a guitar teacher / Guitar amp repair guy. Im a reasonable honest seller. If anyone is interested feel free to make me an offer. Hit me up on Reverb or email scotstandard@yahoo.com

10. Jason

Jason Member

Lou Moritz could restore it

Chuteboxehero likes this.
  11. Von Trapp

Von Trapp Active Member

Glad to hear you're not on drugs! Perhaps an unnecessarily harsh thing to say about someone you don't know and I'm glad it seems you didn't take too much offense. Also, you don't come across as dishonest in your ad, or here, the only thing that's off is the price you ask. (I read reasonably honest first, lol)

I'm afraid I can't help you with the vintage, all I can do is assess the work that needs to be done and the value of the finished product. And as I mentioned, they don't correlate so your best customer would be someone that likes the task and intends to keep it or who doesn't care about the time and money he sinks into it if he sells it.

As a quick reference, a -61 SG Jr body (no hardware) that was converted from a lefty just went for around 900$ and there's a -65 Special body (no hardware) listed for 1500$, dropped from 2000$, that's not selling.

12. donepearce

Having said all that, I would expect a guitar teacher who spent 10 years working at a used guitar store to have a much better idea of the value of an instrument. It seems to me he was having a punt in that ad, just in case anyone would bite. Obviously they aren't, although it came close. He now needs to assess his instrument with the expertise he clearly has, and advertise it at a realistic price. The ad as it stands is just wasting Internet bandwidth.

13. Robert P.Mamarella

Robert P.Mamarella New Member

SG Jr? Looks more like a SG Special to me and a Lousy copy at that! This Guy's a Greedy Clown.I'd stay away from him,and Reverb should be ashamed of themselves for posting this crap. How do Ya even know if it's a real Gibson? 2 grand? Don't make me Laugh!!!Could be a Hacked Chibson for all we know. Buy the way. SG Specials have a Bond Neck,soooo where;s the Binding on this one????? Also the Factory truss rod cover would say Special on it in Script.Yup!!!

Last edited: Mar 4, 2020
  14. OldDog

OldDog Member

Does restore mean making it a playable guitar or does it mean returning it to its "as built" factory condition? There's not enough there to get even appreciably close to its factory condition or even to the point where your piers would applaud your valiant effort. So, you put a lot of time and a good amount of money into it and in the end you have a $200 guitar. No?

15. donepearce

Probably not. Maybe $150.

16. Norton

Norton Well-Known Member

I’d imagine the lefty conversion for $900 wasn’t nearly as horked up as this guitar.

I mean that “hip replacement” is tragic.
    And there’s so much more.

Is it feather weight and magical sounding unplugged?

As is without any original parts to speak of, it’s a $400-500 husk made functional with pickups and all the other bits. None of those bits are really valuable (no 50’s era pickups etc).

What were left with is a bit of a rarity: a functional basket case.

$600-$750. That body part replacement is really hard to get around. It would be easier to take if it was at least mahogany....even if the grain ran the wrong way.

Not that is really matters, but What would it sell for completely refub’d??

17. sgluvr

sgluvr Member

Looks like it should be firewood. Any kind of restoration will cost far more than the guitar is worth.

18. OldDog

OldDog Member

I suppose that depends upon what it is you think you're buying. It's like the old saying; This is my father's ax. The handle has been replaced five times and the head three times. But it is still my father's ax.

If he wanted to know the value or to get top dollar, he should auction it on Ebay at no reserve.

He's entitled to ask whatever he thinks he might get, and God bless him for trying.

19. Greg Coats

Greg Coats New Member

Hmmm ,What would Brian Boitano do?

20. Von Trapp

Von Trapp Active Member

I have to admit that the guitar fascinates me and I'd love to know the story. What happened to it? Why did they fix it with the kitchen table and front route it? And I also have to admit that I would really like to get my hands on in and fix it as good as possible. Not to sell or anything, just to do it. Is there a small space between the neck and the neck pocket or is it just me?