1966 Epi SG G-400 Pro with ?'s

Discussion in 'Epiphone SG' started by K1SFD, Sep 25, 2018.

?

What would you suggest for future upgrades?

1. Volume Pots

20.0%
  2. Tone Pots

20.0%
  3. ALL Pots and selector switch

100.0%
  4. Internal wiring

60.0%
  5. Pups

60.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. K1SFD

K1SFD New Member

So, first want to say hello to all. As you can see from the thread title, I have just recently (6 weeks ago now) purchased an Epiphone 1966 SG G-400 Pro from my local GC. ($399 seemed an excellent price ;-)). I will attach a picture below.

A little about me I guess... I started playing music at 7 years old on an old Coronet and from then on basically worked my way through every brass and Woodwind I could. Played Trumpet, trombone, tuba, sousaphone, sax (bass, tenor, alto, & soprano), flute, piccolo, clarinet, oboe (disliked the double reeds), then did a run through the percussion section; but never actually sat behind a drum set. I only got the basics of piano, and picked up a guitar for a grand total of two weeks before I became frustrated (no one to teach me where I was living at the time - and yes it really was in the middle of nowhere northern Maine! Lol).

I have always enjoyed 99% of the music in the world (I'm sorry but my ears just can't handle the screaming-make your ears bleed- metal. I do still enjoy some Metal and the many forms of Rock though - so I'm not a total loss! Lol). I feel that music is as much a part of the human soul and our evolution as sentient beings as any other markers we use to judge ourselves. While I don't consider myself a 'tone snob' I am very, very sensitive to tone, pitch, intonation, scale, harmonies, sustains, etc... I think that more vocabulary and emotion can be passed on in a three minute song than a 1/2 hour conversation.

I guess the only reason I never got a degree in music is that I was just as good at computers and electronics as well as the Medical field. As I am now 'permanently and totally disabled' I now have some free time on my hands! I decided it was time to pick the guitar back up and haven't regretted it since. Well.... maybe my left fingertips regretted it for the first four weeks, but I have feeling back in my fingertips again, and I say it was worth it! Lol.

I did a full set up on the guitar myself, and after an afternoon of tweaks have it set beautifully. Perfect tone, pitch, intonation, clearances, and just a barely there relief in the neck. Now comes the questions! Dun dun Duuuun...

What should I think about upgrading / changing out on the guitar in the future? I actually love the sound of the Alnico pro pups, and even like the coil splitting for the different types of music I enjoy, but I understand the volume push/pull pots could become an issue? I've also heard that I should think about changing out the internal wires at some point? I am perfectly comfortable doing all the work myself, having computer and electronics experience as well as holding and expert class FCC HAM license, but would need some ideas on what you feel the best parts are to use as replacements. Sometimes there are just toooo many options! Lol

Anyway!
    Thanks for letting me write my book!
    K1SFD

Attached Files:

Namelyguitar and Biddlin like this.
  2. plankton

plankton Well-Known Member

Welcome to the forum, great introduction.

I too have a '66 G400 Pro and also love the Alnico Pro pups. I got mine second hand and one of the push/pulls was already broken, came right out if you weren't real careful when pulling up. I personally didn't care for the split sound and replaced both pots with standard Gotoh ones. CTS pots are nice too but they usually require making the hole in the guitar a bit bigger.

After awhile the toggle started acting up and I figured I might just replace the tone pots and rewire the whole harness while I was in there. I also played around with the tone caps and ended up with 15nF on the neck and 33nF for the bridge.

The only other things I've done have been to replace the narrow stock bridge with a Gotoh Nashville style because I couldn't properly intonate it, and I got a new Tusq nut put on too.

3. dub-setter

dub-setter Active Member

hi and welcome..

the alnico pros are good pick ups in my opinion,
    no need to change them urgently.

upgrades i can suggest (did on my epi):

changed the toggle switch and output jack
    (switchcraft)

bone nut ( not necessary, but i had "pings" goin on with the stock one)

better pots/rewiring the pots
    shield cavity (not necessary if u don t get hums)

upgrade the bridge (faber/tonepros etc..)

4. Biddlin

Biddlin Well-Known Member

If it ain't broke, don't fix it. Play it and enjoy. Congrats on an excellent choice.

5. DrBGood

DrBGood Well-Known Member

That ... everything on that guitar is good enough if you don't intensely gig with it. The only thing I changed on mine are the pups, because I won a nice set of boutique PAFs. Originals were fine though.

If your toggle starts acting, lube it. Same with pots and they will last forever.
    Output jack is not holding the cable properly ? Take it out and bend the prong in. Problem solved.
    Strings are catching in nut slots. Lube the nut with a graphite pencil.

But if you have money to throw out the window, you can upgrade everything.

Six Stringed Demon likes this.
  6. K1SFD

K1SFD New Member

Thank you to everyone who responded so far. From looking around the site before my post, I knew there were quite a few nationalities and international locales, but it's really awesome to see music bring everyone together!

As of right now, the guitar is working and sounding perfectly, so I have no plans to upgrade/change any of it. Having said that, I will certainly be ready for any issues that DO come up. Just got my $200 in gift certificates from GC for the promotion they were running when I purchased my SG, as well as my 'cash back' from using my Gear card. GC here I come! Lol.

7. GraphX12

GraphX12 New Member

Congratulations and welcome K1SFD!
    Take that money and put it towards a nice amp - and enjoy!.

8. iblive

iblive Well-Known Member

Echo what the others have said. Welcome to ETSG. After decades of only owning and playing acoustic, in 2009 I purchased my first electric. A used G400. Over the next couple years I changed just about everything but the wood. Not because it needed it. I just happen to be on of those that likes to tinker with things.

I figured an Epiphone would be a nice platform to learn on. Since it didn’t say Gibson on the headstock, if I screwed something up it was no big deal. However, during those two years I also learned a lot. Learned how to do a setup on an electric. Learned how to set the intonation. Etc. and then when I got all done. It turns out I have a pretty awesome guitar. That comes from some of my way more talented guitar player friends that know those things way more than I did.

So as other have said. Take your time. Learn your guitar. Make changes slowly. Keep us posted how things go.

9. Namelyguitar

Namelyguitar New Member

Welcome, and my most recent guitar purchase was the same model, a pre-owned Pelham Blue 1966.

For me, the neck push-pull pot pulled out, and I ordered a pair of CTS metric The CTS are full size as are the OEM. So far, just the one was replaced on my bench. Nickel Dunlop Straploks are now onboard. A bone nut may follow?

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 28, 2018
  10. VetPsychWars

VetPsychWars Active Member

Try different strings. They can change the sound dramatically.

Oddly, my favorites right now are Gibson BriteWires.

Tom

11. Bad Penguin

Bad Penguin Active Member

If you love the guitar the way it is, then why bother asking strangers what needs to be changed?

DrBGood likes this.
  12. Daniel.S

Daniel.S Well-Known Member

Boredom does weird things

DrBGood and dub-setter like this.