1966 G400 Pots

Discussion in 'Epiphone SG' started by UTGrad, Mar 9, 2018.

1. UTGrad

UTGrad New Member

Does my 66 reissue have 500k pots?

2. Daniel.S

Daniel.S Well-Known Member

Probably. Open the back cavity cover.

3. UTGrad

UTGrad New Member

So if it does why would anyone upgrade?

4. Norlin SG

Norlin SG Well-Known Member

Last edited: Mar 9, 2018
  5. Logan

Logan Well-Known Member

More reliable parts and better taper. If you notice, the volumes are more or less an on/off switch. And also, with the push pulls, if you try to take the knobs off, the whole shaft comes out. I wouldn't say they are good quality.

Plus some people (including myself) like the idea of supporting U.S. factory workers with U.S.A. pots as opposed to imports.

6. Norlin SG

Why would you mention upgrading when no one even asked about it? Maybe the OP is just curious.............

7. Norlin SG

That ship has already sailed. The idea is like putting, if you could actually find one, a genuine Made in the U.S.A. badge on your Hyundai. Putting $20 worth of Bourns or CTS Pots in your Chinese manufactured guitar is not saving any jobs in the U.S.A.

From WIKI:
    Bourns has 14 manufacturing facilities around the world and has continued growing through the development of new products and technologies as well as through acquisitions. The company has approximately 5000 employees worldwide.

CTS Corporation History http://www.fundinguniverse.com/company-histories/cts-corporation-history/
    By the end of 1998 CTS had 18 manufacturing facilities located around the world, including Canada, Mexico, Scotland, Singapore, Taiwan, and China. During that year it opened an Interconnect Systems facility in Hudson, New Hampshire, which became ISO 9001 certified in 1999. CTS's Automotive Products division accounted for about 30 percent of the company's 1998 revenue.

Namelyguitar and dub-setter like this.
  8. plankton

plankton Well-Known Member

Mine has 500k pots, and like Logan mentioned the push/pull volumes broke easily.

Instead of just replacing them I rewired the whole harness, including swapping out the toggle which wasn't working great and changing the tone cap values.

Later on I added treble bleed circuits to both volumes.

All of this was to either repair damaged parts or allow the controls to respond better to my style of playing.

So that's why I made changes.

9. Clifdawg

Clifdawg Well-Known Member

Replaced the wiring harness in my Epi G400 Pro, which had a problematic connection with the bridge pickup) with a cheap Alpha set from GFS.

It was an upgrade because it made the guitar work. :thumb:

In all seriousness those push-pull pots are of pretty shoddy quality. Change for peace of mind, if nothing else.

10. UTGrad

UTGrad New Member

I read a lot about folks upgrading pots so I was just asking why anyone would recommend upgrading the pots on my SG.

11. cerebral gasket

cerebral gasket Well-Known Member

An alternative to push-pull is a push-push pot. Easier to operate and eliminates pulling knobs off.

I doubt they would fit in an SG, but they worked well in an LP in the past.

12. dub-setter

dub-setter Active Member

i think they use a lot the 500 k alpha ones i n most g400
    or pro s etc..

no need to change them really, they do a solid job,
    if thery re just the simple knob/pot, not having the push /pull
    option of epiphones lower quality which i would change as well.

you can also wire the PU s in a normal way without the split option,
    if that is not something you really looking for soundwise.

for that u can go for cts or bourns or alphas as well.

for upgradeing the harness i can recommend a better jack and toggle
    of swichcraft and maybe some other caps /tone drops.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2018
  13. Col Mustard

Col Mustard Well-Known Member

Welcome to ETSG... members of this forum seem to want to mod absolutely anything,
    so asking this question on this forum gets this answer:
    BECAUSE IT IS THERE...

Now, having said that, I'll give you a serious answer: Epi guitars are built to be economical.
    Note that I didn't say cheap... I own two Epis that I really like a lot, and because I like them
    I have upgraded them almost completely. Many of us do not trust the factory electronics that
    are installed on our Epiphones, so we remove the guts and replace with high quality parts.
    I don't know if this is always necessary, but the main reason seems to be: to make the instrument
    more dependable, for professional use.
    Many of us also believe that the instrument sounds better
    with good quality parts installed.

Each of my Epiphone guitars worked fine when I got them. One was a used guitar, and I found
    it on the wall of a music store surrounded by weird-brand guitars that looked cool but were
    truly cheap. The Epiphone seemed like a college girl who got busted for something silly and thrown
    in the drunk tank with a bunch of hookers. I had to get her out of there. *grins
    I took her home, fell in love with the look and the feel of her: a 2006 Wilshire
    Epi 0917@100.jpg
    So I proceeded to deck her out in everything cool and interesting that I could find.
    She rewards me with excellent tone and playability, she weighs about 7 1/2 lb, balances perfectly
    and is a pleasure to play. I got a pro setup job done on her several years ago, and she's been
    fine ever since.

My attitude about Epi guitars is: they are really fun. They are finished in polyurethane, so they
    are very durable and can take a lot of abuse with good grace and no damage. They respond really
    well to upgrades and can end up sounding and feeling as good as guitars costing ten times
    as much. They are so affordable that you should consider the first setup as part of the price.

IMHO your best and most important mod is professional setup. Especially on a guitar that's new to
    you. After I pay for one of those jobs, I can usually keep it that way myself, for a good long time.
    The stability of the polyurethane finish helps a lot with that... as does a high quality bridge and nut. These are easy mods on an Epi.

Replacing pots is not usually necessary unless they begin to crackle or fail.
    Many Epi owners play their instruments for years with the stock wiring and
    have no problems. Only on guitar fora do you hear that you MUST replace parts.

If you intend to use your Epi professionally, under extremely demanding conditions
    then I would get a new wiring harness made of the best quality parts. That's just
    preventative medicine.

Namelyguitar and UTGrad like this.
  14. Namelyguitar

Namelyguitar New Member

CTS has coarse knurls - pots. They call them import. I've ordered some as replacements for my 1966 G-400 Pro.