1970 Gibson Sg Special Short Vibrola Ground Issue

Discussion in 'Vintage SG' started by MarcoAkron, Jul 15, 2019.

1. MarcoAkron

MarcoAkron New Member

Dear all,
    this is my very first post, so thanks in advance for letting me in :)
    I recently bought my first sg, it's a 1970 special with short vibrola maestro.
    The guitar sounds really good, is a very resonant instrument, I've always been a 335/330 kind of guy but I have to admit that this is the ultimate rocknroll machine! p90 just scream!
    While I was playing I noticed a weird crackle when the vibrola is pulled up or pushed down, like a ground issue.
    I checked the cavity and the ground wire from pots to the wraparound is fine, but I was thinking if I have to do the same with vibrola. I know this is doable with lyre vibrola on sg standards, but what's the solution for specials? There's no holes to allow the wire through the body.
    has anybody ever had this kind of issue?
    Thanks again!

2. Tony M

Tony M Well-Known Member

Hi Marko.
    Welcome to the forum.
    Gratz on the SG.
    If you have a solid ground to the wraparound that should
    be all you need. The strings should carry the ground to the vibrola.

3. MarcoAkron

MarcoAkron New Member

Thanks Tony M for the reply. That's actually my concern, where should I put the wire?
    from vibrola to? there's no holes underneath it..

4. cerebral gasket

cerebral gasket Well-Known Member

Welcome!

My first SG was a 1969 SG Special.

There should be a ground wire to the bottom of one of the posts on the Wraparound and no need to ground the vibrola since the strings take care of that as mentioned earlier.

Maybe take a meter and test continuity between the Wraparound and ground while pressing and pulling the vibrola to make certain the Wraparound post inserts are not shifting back and forth causing an intermittent connection to ground.

Wiggle the instrument cable where it is connected to the output jack to make certain that it is not loose. Sounds more like something is vibrating loose when using the vibrola.

I actually prefer those Specials to be strung up with the Wraparound bridge only and usually remove the short vibrola and don’t worry about the three screw holes left behind.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2019
    PermissionToLand likes this.
  5. Tony M

Tony M Well-Known Member

...or put a sticker over them.

Roadaxe.jpg

cerebral gasket likes this.
  6. donepearce

donepearce Well-Known Member

London, helping a friend design a knitting machine
    As others have said, the ground should carry via the strings to the vibrola. If things crackle when you move them, you have poor contact (not no contact) back to the lever. The best way to deal with that is to spray some contact cleaner into all the moving joints of the vibrola system, then work them back and forth until the crackling stops. If you can identify exactly what part is moving over another when the crackle happens, so much the better, but things are rarely that cut-and-dried.

7. MarcoAkron

MarcoAkron New Member

thanks to all, problem solved, I grounded a wire underneath the pickguard and attached to the wraparound bridge.
    I thought it was already grounded because I didn't noticed any weird noise from the pickups..
    now it's perfect!

8. Tony M

Tony M Well-Known Member

Excellent!
    All problems should be solved that easily.
    :smile:

9. Gahr

Gahr Well-Known Member

Now you just have to show us the guitar!