1970 SG Custom Polaris White - Custom order?

Discussion in 'Vintage SG' started by tzurby, Mar 17, 2020.

Tags:
  1. tzurby

tzurby New Member

I have a batwing SG Custom in polaris white. The serial number (it's hard to read) is 617153 which refers to 1970 to 1975, except 1973 (according to Gruhn). There are other 1970s features:

"Made in USA" , volute, swimming pool pickup routing as used in 1970. The heel joint is 1970 ff.

But then, there are features of a pre 1970 SG Custom, most notably the Polaris White finish, standard (for batwing SGs) from 1966-1968. Then came the walnut finishes (1969-1971).

Also, the scale of the neck is 24 5/8", used 1966-1969.

The batwing pickguard has wide bevel angles, used from 1966-1968.

I could not find out whether the headstock is Medium Open Book (1966-1968) or Narrow Open Book (1969-1971). Also, whether it is Holly veneer (1966-1969) or Resin impregnated fiberboard veneer (1970-1971). The size of the headstock is exactly as on my 1961 SG Custom.

Also, I don't know when Gibson reissued the black speed knobs (maybe they have been installed later). The knobs should be: Gold Witch Hat w/ pointers (mid 1967 - 1971).

My guitar has a repaird neck and a drilled hole in the middle of the knobs for a mini toggle switch. Pictures in the next post.

I did not find a single 1970 Polaris White SG Custom on the internet. So, is this a custom order guitar?

https://www.bilder-upload.eu/upload/2b04af-1584352547.jpg

https://www.bilder-upload.eu/upload/d1130a-1584352594.jpg

https://www.bilder-upload.eu/upload/388488-1584353108.jpg

https://www.bilder-upload.eu/upload/19c05d-1584353149.jpg

2. Chuteboxehero

Chuteboxehero Well-Known Member

Access denied...

3. zhivago

zhivago New Member

Let's see if this works:

[​IMG]

4. zhivago

zhivago New Member

5. tzurby

tzurby New Member

I don't know why this picture site is down. I resized the pictures to 640x480. And I used another service.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

loafie likes this.
  6. papagayo

papagayo Well-Known Member

The best you can do is asking to Gibson.

I'm not a Norlin fan, here is a 1968 model:

Temp 4128.jpg

7. PermissionToLand

PermissionToLand Well-Known Member

It looks like you read my wiki!

So, first of all, Gibson allowed custom order finishes back then, so that may explain your finish. It could also be an old refinish, looking into the pickup and control cavities may shed some light on that.

The scale discrepancy could very easily be a result of the more hand-intensive build process back then leaving greater room for error.

The pickguard has the shallower bevel angle as best as I can tell from your pictures.

The headstock width didn't really change for Customs because of the binding. I may need to update the wiki to reflect that.

The Speed knobs are not original.

The swimming pool and Made in USA stamp narrow it down to late 1970. I can say this with high certainty.

tzurby likes this.
  8. tzurby

tzurby New Member

Yes, I did. This is an excellent website. I wanted to quote it in my initial post, but somehow I got failure messages, possibly because of this link.

Here is the "swimming pool" cavity. Looks excactly like the one referring to 1970 on your SG-Wiki. The work is pretty rough, not neat.

[​IMG]

This guitar does not look like it has been refinished to me. Here are some more pictures:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Does this look like a refinish?

There is some strange crumbling to be found in the control cavity:
    [​IMG]

You are right. My fault.

I read somewhere, that Gibson reissued the 50s knobs in the 70s. Maybe this is the case here? But maybe they were added later.
    Though I bought the guitar when I lived in Switzerland, the guitar must have been used by somebody from the US. There is a name scratched in the back of the vibrato's metal cover, and a phone number (566-xx-xxxx), typical for US phone numbers. So, this guy might have changed the knobs.

So, most probably this is a standard late 1970s SG Custom, only the polaris white finish is non-standard.

It sounds great, by the way. And it plays well. Extremely low action (E: 1,2mm, e: 1,3mm) without any buzzing.

PermissionToLand likes this.
  9. PermissionToLand

PermissionToLand Well-Known Member

Honestly, I am not an expert on finishes, so I wouldn't be comfortable giving an opinion on whether it's a refinish. The way the clearcoat is flaking off seems weird to me. But I don't see signs of another finish in the cavities.

Is it the paint crumbling in the cavity? I can't really tell.

It can be hard to tell sometimes if it's the wide bevel angle or not. Especially when the pickguard is white.

I believe Speed knobs were first designed in the '70s, although I'm not certain on that. You may be thinking of Bell knobs from the '50s. Gibson didn't start using Speed knobs on SGs until 1973. Also, yours look unusually tall, although it could be the perspective.

I bet she's a load of fun. I love the sound of T-Tops!

10. fernieite

fernieite Member

I can't tell in the photo, but if the pots are original, what are the date codes? 36th week of 1970 on a couple?

11. fernieite

fernieite Member

Hey, btw - where's this Wiki page you speak of? :cool:

12. tzurby

tzurby New Member

fernieite likes this.
  13. fernieite

fernieite Member

Thanks for the links! Should almost have a sticky in this section with those Wiki links. Great job by PermissionToLand! :cool:

PermissionToLand likes this.
  14. Gbux

Gbux New Member

Wow!!! The Glen Buxton/Alice Cooper model!!! Way nice!!! It wouldn't be a Custom Shop guitar?

15. ezypikins

ezypikins New Member

IF it sounds good who cares. Don't take it apart just cause you need to tweek on something. AHHHHHHHHHHHH. PLAY THE THING