1971 Deluxe - worth it?

Discussion in 'Vintage SG' started by M.Bison, May 13, 2017.

1. M.Bison

M.Bison New Member

Hello Everyone! Looking to buy my first SG and wanted to get your experienced opinion on one.

There's a guy selling a 1971 SG Deluxe (I think, based on the LP guard and half moon control panel), but it's seen better days. The headstock was busted and appears to be repaired with two wooden reinforcements and sanded down. It's not flawless, but it looks like it might be solid.

The pickups are not original, they were replaced with 'basic Gibson pickups from the 80's' and the wiring has been replaced with an Emerson drop in 50's wiring.

The vibrato is a Bigsby branded one, which I couldn't seem to find if this was original or not. Seems like all the pictures are of unbranded vibrato's.

I'm trying to get a serial number to confirm it's heritage, but the guy is asked $700 for it. Fair deal, or without the pup's and wiring, headstock repair and possible non original bigsby, is it worth it? I've read a couple posts about people poo-pooing these top loader SGs. I'll see what I can do about adding pics.

Thanks for your help!

2. flognoth

flognoth Active Member

Does this look like it?

If you like the way it plays and sound, and the repair seems solid, it could be. Without pictures it is hard to say.

Attached Files:

3. Raiyn

Raiyn Well-Known Member

If you're going to buy it, buy it because you love it or plan to make it into something you'll love. Don't buy it because you think it is, or could be, worth something to someone else.

There are too many collectors and not enough people who just wanna play guitar.

My 2¢

4. M.Bison

M.Bison New Member

Still working on the pics, but it looks like it came from the image you posted. Pickups are different and the vibrato has the word "bigsby" on it, but identical otherwise.

No worries there, I don't have any guitars that are collectors and I don't plan on starting! Wanted to get more of a feeler if it was worth the traffic to entertain a $700 price tag

Thanks guys for the replies!

Raiyn likes this.
  5. M.Bison

M.Bison New Member

Finally bested technology! Is it just me or is there no serial number on this guitar. Could have been sanded off in the repair?

IMG_1459.JPG IMG_1460.JPG IMG_1462.JPG IMG_1463.JPG IMG_1464.JPG IMG_1465.JPG IMG_1466.JPG

PermissionToLand likes this.
  6. AngelDeVille

AngelDeVille Well-Known Member

It does look like a factory bigsby.

How are the frets?

Does it have a useable case?

Personally I like it. But I think $700 is on the high side.

Bibsbys are simple machines and simple minds are confounded by them.

7. Tonerider

Tonerider Active Member

Super strong repair but 800Us$ is the price for an SG Standard w/ case and no repair .

[​IMG]

8. Rox

Rox Active Member

I've had three Gibsons with repaired necks and they were all fine. I wouldn't hesitate to get one with a decent repair if the price was right.

The price seems a bit high to me given how much has been replaced - early 70's Norlins often turn up as projects quite cheaply and you could add your own preferences for wiring and pickups.

Also, you need to bear in mind that a lot of the early 70's SG's have skinny necks; I love them, but not everyone does, so try it out and see what you think... and don't be afraid to walk away.

Check the Completed Items listings on Ebay for the prices these actually sell for and you'll be well armed before parting with your hard earned cash.

Norton and PermissionToLand like this.
  9. PermissionToLand

PermissionToLand Well-Known Member

Well, it looks like an old repair based on the wear around it, so it must be holding well. Not the prettiest, but I've also seen much worse.

As Rox says, they have very narrow necks, so play it first to see if that works for you. Otherwise, it seems pretty fair, I see people asking up to $1600 for these, but I think they actually sell more around $1100. So, minus T-Tops, which go for around $150-200 a set, IIRC, another $100-200 for the neck repair, and you're in the right ballpark I'd say. Bigsby vs. Gibsby... doubt that really matters at all. Gibson probably just licensed the exact same design, and if not, I'd bet the Bigsby is superior then.

Norton likes this.
  10. Norton

Norton Well-Known Member

Not worth it. From a "deal perspective ".

Echo of previous posts:

Not a sought after model or era. Super narrow but width.

If you play it and love it. Then it's a different story. But with that neck break and repair... regardless of how stable it s.... i think that guitar would sit a long time at $700. $500? That might be different.
    What are the pickups?

11. PermissionToLand

PermissionToLand Well-Known Member

$500 is Melody Maker or Epiphone money. This is a vintage SG that took the place of the Standard in the lineup. Not a particularly sought after model, but it's not worth nothing.

12. Raiyn

Raiyn Well-Known Member

There's a lot of issues with this axe. Personally, I think $700 is a bit cheeky. Start at $500, work to $600 - $625.

13. DCCable

DCCable Active Member

I'd pass personally. There are far better deals out there on Gibson SGs. And come time to resell you'll be glad if your guitar doesn't have a neck repair.

Raiyn likes this.
  14. Norton

Norton Well-Known Member

$500 could and should buy you a much cooler guitar than this one. I'm only sort of kidding.

But hey. If it's speaking to you while you sleep...you need it. And should have it.

Raiyn likes this.
  15. DCCable

DCCable Active Member

Just personally speaking, I've had some pretty awful nightmares speak to me while I slept, FWIW.

16. M.Bison

M.Bison New Member

Thanks all! I'm going to try to meet up with the guy and give it a shot. If it's a dream, I'll try and take it down a few hundred. Cheers!

Raiyn likes this.
  17. Rox

Rox Active Member

Good luck! Keep us posted... :)

18. Raiyn

Raiyn Well-Known Member

If not, just give him a head stomp.
    [​IMG]

19. Norlin SG

Norlin SG Well-Known Member

Wow. I agree.

As far as the deal goes, I don't think I'd offer over say $400. Just to molested for my taste.

AngelDeVille and Raiyn like this.
  20. AngelDeVille

AngelDeVille Well-Known Member

I like the idea of $400. The only thing I'd do to it is add pickup covers.

There has been one on our local craigslist for a very long time at $900 without a bigsby. I'd give em' bout three-fiddy.