1978 SG Fake body?

Discussion in 'SG Copies' started by Tolga, Mar 27, 2018.

1. Tolga

Tolga New Member

Hi Guys
    Purchased this for $20 from a local auction house in Sydney. I was the only one when it auctioned. I'm certain that its fake but wanted to see your comments too.
    As far as i can see someone was in the middle of restoration process. Headstock sanded down, horrible clear coat, pots looked new, switchcraft jack, neck is not 3pcs, fretboard has dried up.
    serial number was not in correct font etc but the most interesting thing is there is no screwhole whatsoever.. so maybe it was routed by someone ??? or they have been filled nicely maybe??
    also, i would like to hear from you guys about what to do with it? i'm going to remove the logo and serial first and use my spare parts to complete the guitar. or should i just destroy it and do bbq with the rest?

Attached Files:

2. Hector

Hector Well-Known Member

Why not get it back in order and play it? Who cares if it is a fake at this point... leave the logo etc.. just play it.

3. Col Mustard

Col Mustard Well-Known Member

Welcome to ETSG! I applaud your decision to remove the logo.

The body looks old, and might be real mahogany.
    The headstock is NOT a Gibson headstock. Real Gibsons look like this:
    Headstock 1@100.jpg
    This above is the '70s style "big headstock" ...notice the 'open book" carve
    on the top. It's made of three pieces, a center piece a little wider than
    the neck, and two outer wings, glued on.

Here's a more normal Gibson Headstock:
    Luna Headstock front@100.jpg
    That carve is very distinct, and a trademark. Here's the back:
    Luna Headstock back@100.jpg
    What ever you do with this instrument, I believe you should remove the
    word "Gibson" from it. Keeping that word on there seems very wrong to
    me if it isn't a Gibson guitar. That's like fraud. Like an intent to swindle
    some poor ignoramus.

But if you don't try to pretend it's a Gibson, then you might be able to make a fine
    instrument out of it, and play music with it. That has value of its own, and is
    completely honest.

If the instrument can be set up and made playable, then its
    value is in the music that can be made from it. Before you buy any parts for it,
    make sure the neck can be made playable and that the truss rod works. A real Gibson
    truss rod has a 5/16" nut on the end. Fakes often have something else, or nothing.
    Then paint over the fake logo and play it.

The pictures you posted look odd, as if the headstock had been damaged and repaired.
    The two Gibson headstocks I posted both have the Gibson logo silkscreened on, or
    something like that, because they are inexpensive Gibson SG Specials.

More expensive Gibsons have the logo inlaid in Mother of Pearl. It looks like this:
    Gibson_Custom_50th_Anniversary_1959_Les_Paul_Standard_headstock.jpg
    So I can't really tell from your photos if any parts of this guitar are real or not. Some of it looks
    authentic, and if it's a real one, it's been damaged severely and then an attempt
    at repair was made. That headstock is very obviously not Gibson, and if it's a
    repair, then it moves the instrument out of the mainstream and into the dubious
    backwaters of guitar rescue. Maybe it was in a fire...

But it could be an interesting project, if the neck is functional.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2018
  4. koaguilds

koaguilds Well-Known Member

Nice score! But yes you are right it's not a legitimate 1978 SG. Could it be a late 60's ? Maybe?

Gibson wasn't making any SG's with the short neck joint style in 1978. In MOST of the Norlin days it was all the long neck joint like you find on today's Standard T, not the short joint like on the 61' and 62' reissues.

None were made with the joint style on the left in 78'. If yours was a 78' it would have the long joint style on the right:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 27, 2018
  5. gball

gball Well-Known Member

Fake as the day is long. Remove the logo, then decide if it's going to result in a decent enough finished guitar to put the effort/money into it.

PermissionToLand likes this.
  6. Tolga

Tolga New Member

yeah thats what i'm gonna do but no i'll remove the logo thats for sure.

7. Tolga

Tolga New Member

Hi Col, thanks for your comments, i agree everything you said about the headstock. However there is something in this guitar. Its doesnt feels like a cheap chinese copy's. Wood is definetly old and there is a truss rod. Neck is straight as arrow and i belive i can put this guitar in playable condition.
    I'll see my guitar tech guy soon and bring the guitar to him. lets see what he's going to say. Also let me know if you want to see detailed pictures of any of the part of the guitar?

i

8. Tolga

Tolga New Member

I said 78 based on serial but hell yeah you right it looks more 60's neck joint. If the headstock repaired than it make sense. I'll find more about it of this guitar soon. Trying to contact with auction house and see if we can find the previous owner.

9. cerebral gasket

cerebral gasket Well-Known Member

In 1978, small block inlays were used, not trapezoids.

10. JazzyJeff

JazzyJeff Member

wood does look mahogany. definitely don't trash it. The shape of the head stock looks Dillion, but really means nothing. Make it yours bud. make your own logo. right electronics, sounds like a decent start on a good axe.

Tolga likes this.
  11. PermissionToLand

PermissionToLand Well-Known Member

I'm going to say it's a Japanese copy that some joker tried to turn into a fake. Clearly too high quality to be a Chinese fake. The wood grain is beautiful! I'd like to see what you can do with it.