1980-set of Gibson Humbuckers : identification - and troubleshoot - help needed :)

Discussion in 'Pickups' started by Ray, Jan 9, 2019.

1. Ray

Ray Well-Known Member

Awrite, fellow SG-slingers!

I've been shopping some humbuckers, for resale. The seller said these were from the same guitar, an 1980 LP Custom. This a set of two uncovered humbuckers. I havent tried them in a guitar, but they both read round 3.8, so I wonder if something's wrong with these. (The seller didnt know, he just knew the pu's originated from a -80 LP Custom and had never used these pu's. The guy is in a band, seems like a cool guy, and has confirmed he didn't know about the low DC-resistance readings.)

Now. First I sure would appreciate a bit of help on identifying these pu's. I have now learned that around 1979/1980 Gibson started to replace the T-tops (the ones that had been unchanged since -75, after what I've read) with the Tim Shaw-developed humbucker. I've researched heavily on the net, talked to guitarpeople, pros and amateurs, and to me it seems like the pair I bought could be a pair of so-called "Transitional Shaws".

But I am by no means certain of this, and luckily I got ETSG! :D Yeah!

This is the humbucker I think was in the bridge on that 1980 LP Custom. This has a "T" on the bobbins, but its not a 2-conductor pick-up ...

This is no T-Top is it? To me this humbucker looks like a modded T-top or a so-called "T-Shaw".

Here it is:
    20190109_074939 m.jpg

20190109_075003 m.jpg

20190109_075026 m.jpg

20190109_075048 m.jpg

20190109_075119 m.jpg

20190109_075128 m.jpg

20190109_075258 m.jpg

And here is the other pickup, I believe was in the neck position on that LPC. I think this is a early prototype Tim Shaw from 1979 or 1980, but I'm not 100% certain. There is a smeared-out stamp on it, very hard to see, but I believe you can see it on some of the pics. I think its that XXX-XXX code with numbers.
    20190109_075351 m.jpg

20190109_075345 m.jpg

20190109_075536 m.jpg

But what do YOU say, ETSG?

What does the ever-impressing expert panel on the worlds coolest forum say?

(The limit of ten pics is reached, the thread continues in a moment ...)

2. Ray

Ray Well-Known Member

continues here: 20190109_075939 m.jpg 20190109_075546 m.jpg

20190109_075939 m.jpg
    20190109_075543 m.jpg

20190109_075809 m.jpg 20190109_075546 m 2.jpg

Last edited: Jan 9, 2019
  3. Gahr

Gahr Well-Known Member

Interesting riddle! The DC readings are about exactly half of what they "should" be. Maybe due to broken wires resulting in only one bobbin being read by the meter? I've never heard of any Gibson humbuckers with readings like that. I suggest you wire them up to something and test for sound.

Ray likes this.
  4. Ray

Ray Well-Known Member

Yeah, interesting, for sure, mister! That's the reaction I hoped for! :D I do believe The Incredibly Laid Back And Extremely Resourceful Superpanel of SG-Experts here on ETSG will accept this challenge. :D

And yeah, never heard of such low outputs me neither. And I'd like to try them out, but, well, yeah, I need a guitar for that ... And since I dont wanna touch anything on the electronics on my trusted and extremely sentimental-heavy 1995 Epiphone G-400, I guess my newly aquired 2000 Standard gotta be try-out guitar. I think I will do a shootout, just using the phonecamera, to compare this set of (hopefully) hybrid-Shaws to my new 1977 T-Top (bridge position) and the 57 Classics set I'm installing on the 2000 Standard these days. (Picked up a set of new 500K pots the other day :))

Regarding trying these weirdos out, I just want to check if I can do something with these first, you know, maybe see if I can do something about those low DC-resistance readings.

Edit: Regarding a try-out guitar: Doing anything with my 2018 Standard - The Autumn Beast - is most def ruled out, that guitar just plays and sounds just over-the-top good now :D

(Hm. A pic of that guitar is never wrong IMO :D Here's my No. 1:
    sgw.jpg )

Gotta say I've been looking forward to posting this thread! Venter spent nå. :)

Gahr likes this.
  5. Gahr

Gahr Well-Known Member

Alltid fett med nye pickups!

If the wire’s broken somewhere, Wouldn’t a rewind be the best option?

If you don’t get any more helpful answers than mine here, I suggest sending an email to Gibson themselves, to check if they know of any such pickups being used at that time.

Ray likes this.
  6. Ray

Ray Well-Known Member

Yeah, I'm sure you're right on that rewind-solution, if its the wire. I wonder if that's way-off expensive or if it could be worth it ..?

And mailing Gibson might help, too, but I honestly doubt they can help with the ID-part ... To me it seems like Gibson is not sure themselves of what they had or did at times ... Around 1979/80 they seemed to be in a hurry installing pu's on some models, but what do I know ..?

Sidenote: I did have a black 1980 LPC myself once, got it in 1995 I think, sold it a year later (it ATE strings so I decided it wasnt a keeper), but then again, I didnt really give a damn about pu's back then, and through my JCM 800 that LPC sounded just fine with me, and that was it, hehe.

7. Gahr

Gahr Well-Known Member

Intriguing. From what I can gather on the net, your pickups might very well be "transitional" tim Shaw pups (or one T-Top and one Shaw), but the DC readings and the non-braided wire on the T-Top are puzzling. But what are the chances you have bought not only one but two defective pickups at the same time?

Ray likes this.
  8. Ray

Ray Well-Known Member

Yeah, me too, very intriguing stuff these models.
    And yeah, whats up with the wires on that quasi-T-top ..?

Chances me buying defunct pu's are big. And I can only blame myself if that would prove to be the case here. I guess the worst scenario is a case of misspent money and a lot of freshly aquired knowledge about Gibson humbuckers from the period 1967 to 1986-ish:D

Got these mysterious humbuckers pretty cheap, approx. the same price as you pay for one T-top on Ebay, so it could be worse. Hopefully a collector is interested. I dont think I will lose all my moneys ...

But this is exciting stuff!

9. Ray

Ray Well-Known Member

Here another pic of the mysterious quasi-T-Top. Three wires ..?:hmm:
    20190109_153448_001.jpg

10. Norton

Norton Well-Known Member

Someone’s been inside that “bridge “ pickup

Gibson hasn’t ever used that kind of hookup wire. If you’re lucky one coil was disconnected because the player wanted a single coil sound.

But I wouldn’t count on it.

Plan on the worst case scenario Rewind. Which isn’t so bad.

gball and Ray like this.
  11. gball

gball Well-Known Member

Absolutely correct.

Ray likes this.
  12. Ray

Ray Well-Known Member

Thanks. I have been suspecting just that, about that quasi-"T-top". It does look pretty modified. Gotta find a guy in Oslo that rewinds for a ok price.
    Thanks.

Anyone have a clue about the Tim Shaw? It looks original to me. But I guess it will sound below-low-output with those readings?