1980 SG Standard or 2016 '61 Reissue - In need of advice...

Discussion in 'Gibson SG' started by Rednef, Apr 25, 2019.

1. Rednef

Rednef New Member

Firstly I'll begin by saying that up until this point I have lent more towards Fender (Tele specific) than Gibson.

As a result, my knowledge of SGs is, whilst maybe slightly above average (having worked in a guitar shop), not the most clued up - particularly with older models.

I've got the opportunity to get either a 1980 Walnut SG Standard or a 2016 Cherry '61 Reissue for roughly the same price - £1200 for the '80, £1150 for the '61.

I know these will be totally different beasts but really I was just hoping to tap into your collective knowledge to see what you tihnk would be a better buy? I'm aware of discussions that 80s Gibsons weren't all that great, however I don't know if this is more myth than fact. I'm also aware that the '61 reissues are pretty highly regarded!

I've attached a picture of both for clarity - but more so that you can see the 1980 model I'm talking about!

Grateful for any thoughts whatsoever!

Cheers,

D IMG_1651.jpg Gibson_SG04.jpg

Last edited: Apr 25, 2019
    pancake81 and arcticsg like this.
  2. arcticsg

arcticsg Well-Known Member

BOTH! :D

Those are both good looking SGs and seem to be in GREAT shape! Hopefully you can try them both first before you buy and pick the one that's best for you!

Now after saying that, and both being in equal condition, I would have to give that '80 a shot first. ;)

Oh, and Welcome aboard! :smile:

3. Norton

Norton Well-Known Member

Personally, the sg Just isn’t the same without deep curves, carves and contours. And that 1980 machine doesn’t have as much going on in that department as the reissue.

4. The Real Rick

The Real Rick New Member

If you can play them both, take the one that plays better. SGs can be really different in feel, from a really thick "baseball bat" neck to the faster, thinner ones that are likely on the 61 version. There's no right or better, just what you like.

They are both nice in appearance, so in the end it's what you prefer. I personally prefer the non-carved look to the inner horns (see my avatar to left), so you can see that some like it carved more, some less, some not at all. Fortunately there are SGs to suit all of those. Get yours!

koaguilds and cerebral gasket like this.
  5. cerebral gasket

cerebral gasket Well-Known Member

Get the one with the neck profile that feels right for you. Forget the bevels on the horns, you play the neck, not the horns.

koaguilds likes this.
  6. pancake81

pancake81 Well-Known Member

Obviously if you can play them both, that’s the way to go. See what plays good for you, what feels right, what neck profile fits best.

Failing that you have to make a decision on what you know.

aesthetically I prefer the 61 re issue. The toggle switch in the “proper” location, the curves of a 60’s SG, large headstock ca standard, and trapezoid inlays as appose to block.

But that is an extremely nice example of an 80’s sg. You likely can’t go wrong with either, but my vote goes to the 61

7. papagayo

papagayo Well-Known Member

The 2016 SG '61 Ri is very nice.

This is a Ltd edition Proprietary, my favorite for sure.

pancake81 likes this.
  8. brazilnut

brazilnut Active Member

I had an 83 Standard. The first couple of frets were hard to squeeze my fingers into, because of the narrow nut width. But the pickups, neck profile and general tone were just wonderful. It was not as sculpted as some, but the tone and general playability more than made up for that. The 61 is nice too, but not hard to come by.

arcticsg likes this.
  9. koaguilds

koaguilds Well-Known Member

80's Gibson's not all that great? Totally an interwebz myth.