1st Pedalboard

Discussion in 'Effects' started by Joe N, Feb 26, 2020.

1. Joe N

Joe N New Member

Hi all, starting to put together a pedalboard, purchased a Pedaltrain Classic Jr board, TC Electronic PolyTune 3, Electro-Harmonix Soul Food and Electro-Harmonix Triangle Big Muff fuzz reissued pedal, Truetone 1 Spot Pro CS7 pedalboard power brick - I am going to stop here for now, but will add some Modulation pedals in the near future.

I'm thinking of setting up the signal chain in the following order and would like some input as to whether it is a good choice, if not what would be better and why (new at this, no prior knowledge except for a lot reading on line)

Guitar > Tuner > Fuzz (Big Muff) > OD (Soul Food) > Amp

Appreciate any help

Joe

2. volktar

volktar Member

Id put your OD before the muff. Then you can turn the gain down, and output up to use it as a clean boost to really help drive the muff. Youd be surprised how much thicker it will make the muff. I pretty much always use my signal booster, or my OD underneath any sort of distortion.

3. Joe N

Joe N New Member

@ volktar - Thank you for the quick reply, something I should of added to the original post is that I plan on running the tuner in the "buffer mode" and the OD and Muff in"true bypass"

I will set up the 3 pedals as you suggest and see how it goes, I will post back here after I get some play time with the setup :-)

Joe

4. Chuteboxehero

Chuteboxehero Well-Known Member

Definitely the way to go... The soul food does the K style clean boost thing really well. Also sounds great on its own. Good luck with the pedal board!

5. plankton

plankton Well-Known Member

The biggest thing to remember is that there really are no rules with this stuff. Try different orders and see what you like best using the pedals in the way you want. Occasionally there will be issues with buffers and impedance mismatches, but your ears will tell you something is wrong pretty quickly.

6. skelt101

skelt101 Active Member

7. Joe N

Joe N New Member

Thank you everyone for the quick and useful info, will shorten the learning curve a bit,
    @skelt101 - I have that You Tube channel bookmarked now, looks like I will be a frequent visitor :-)

Joe

8. Col Mustard

Col Mustard Well-Known Member

and welcome again to ETSG...

Pedal boards are a constant source of fun and inspiration.
    There are many members on this forum who know t heir stuff.

I usually learn something every time I come here.
    You can't say that about every forum.

anyway don't forget our unwritten rule:

PICTURES, OR IT
    NEVER HAPPENED

electric pedal board 2017.jpg

9. plankton

Since the Col. started it, here's my current messing around at home board.

20200301_162554 (1024x498).jpg

Tonebender MkII copy, tuner, Octron 3, Hendrix wah, Fulltone '69 copy, phaser, Russian Muff, flanger, EP Boost copy, tremolo (plus the footswitch for my Laney).

10. Joe N

Joe N New Member

As I was rearranging the pedals the thought occurred to me - what position do I leave the "controls" on the amp when using pedals, the amp I have is a Marshall DSL1HR 1 watt, 2 channel, classic gain and ultra gain, along with bass, treble, middle and reverb and tone shift button (something to do with mids I believe) -

Is it OK to set the controls as I normally would and just add the pedals to the mix or is there something else to consider ?

I know, more questions, I'll try not to over do it :-)

Gotta figure out how to add pics

Thanks again

Joe

11. plankton

I get the sound I want from my amp, generally a light crunchy drive, and then add pedals on top of that. If I'm going to make any adjustments it will be on the pedals.

12. Joe N

Joe N New Member

Just finished playing and using the new pedals, loving the sounds these things can deliver and that Big Muff, wow what distortion and volume :-)

Got the pedalboard all taped up yesterday, have to wait 48 hrs. for tape to fully adhere to board, pedals just sitting on floor for now

I have a pic and will try to attach it tomorrow, it is on my phone and I have to transfer it to my computer

Joe

13. Joe N

Joe N New Member

This is my setup for now

Joe

Attached Files:

14. Joe N

Joe N New Member

Somehow I got an extra post here :-(

Joe

Last edited: Mar 7, 2020
  15. ungarn

ungarn Member

Try guitar >SF>BM>Tuner

SF can boost the BM, and buffered signal not into fuzz.

\m/

16. Joe N

Joe N New Member

@ ungarn, regarding your reply, I recently came across an article written by Peter Thorn (he has a column every month in Premier Guitar), the article I found was online, in the article he explains how he approaches buffered pedal placement around a fuzz pedal and why, his statement is as follows:

If the INPUT IMPEDANCE of the FUZZ pedal is ABOVE 500k it is OK to place a BUFFERED pedal in FRONT of the FUZZ -
    If the INPUT IMPEDANCE of the FUZZ is LOWER than 500k the BUFFERED pedal should be placed AFTER the FUZZ -

The INPUT IMPEDANCE of the Big Muff Fuzz Triangle I have is 122k -

So I am just throwing this info I found out here, I am still experimenting with pedal placement and have come to no conclusions for myself, anybody wanting to chime in here please feel free, the more info I can get the better prepared I am -

Hope everyone is staying safe, this is a very different world we all live in today

Joe