2001 Gothic SG Body?

Discussion in 'Gibson SG' started by kuttlefish, Mar 14, 2019.

1. kuttlefish

kuttlefish New Member

Hello all, new to the forum.

I currently have a Gibson SG junior reissue, I forget the year, but it has one p90 and a batwing pickguard and a wraparound tailpiece. Anyway, the body isn't a single solid piece of mahogany, it's more like a plywood laminate. I heard Gibson did this for a few of their budget models in the late 90's - 00's.

Anyway, now I'm looking at 2000-01 era gothic sg's (with the ebony fretboard, single crescent moon inlay) and am wondering if they're constructed the same or if they are made from a legit piece of solid mahogany. If they're multi-piece, are they laminated like plywood or thick pieces side-by-side, like the top of a les paul? Any info is apprecitated, thanks!

2. shreddy bender

shreddy bender Well-Known Member

Plywood? I need pictures to believe that!
    The Gothic would be solid mahogany. Why would they put an ebony board on a plywood guitar?
    The Gothic may be a multi piece body but that means nothing, especially on a painted guitar. My 03 Faded is a walnut stain and is 3 pieces of mahogany . Sounds great and plays great.

Welcome by the way!

3. AngelDeVille

AngelDeVille Well-Known Member

For 15 years my only electric was a 95 Korean strat with a genuine plywood body.

Plywood or even a multipiece body mean nothing. If the guitar is good it's good.

We do need to see pics of the Jr. before we teach you the secret handshake.

Sweetums likes this.
  4. kuttlefish

kuttlefish New Member

It's not like home depot plywood, from what I can tell it is mahogany. It's just thin sheets of mahogany pressed together, almost like the old norlin pancake les pauls... except thinner. At least that's what it looks like from the control cavity. I'll try and take some pictures when I get home.

Yeah, I'm not concerned about traditional multi-piece bodies, but the laminate body seems excessively cheap

5. kuttlefish

kuttlefish New Member

I generally believe that too, but if I end up paying more than $500 for a guitar I can't play before I buy (ebay or reverb), I would hope it at least checks some arbitrary boxes.

6. bwotw

bwotw Well-Known Member

Pics will be helpful indeed! I've never heard of Gibsons constructed that way. You mention the cavity, are you sure the lines you're seeing aren't just some "figure" left there from the router bit? Sometimes they look like horizontal lines...

7. Biddlin

Biddlin Well-Known Member

Me too, I have NEVER seen that. The Gothic will be mahogany neck, ebony fingerboard and probably 2 or 3 piece mahogany body.

shreddy bender likes this.
  8. cerebral gasket

cerebral gasket Well-Known Member

SG Pancakes...

[​IMG]