2003 SG Voodoo

Discussion in 'Gibson SG' started by PhoenixFear, Sep 12, 2018.

1. PhoenixFear

PhoenixFear Active Member

I decided to buy another SG. At first I didn’t care for the skull inlay but now I’m fine with it. I was going to sell my 2008 SG to better fund this one but now I really can’t decide if I should. That guitar is great as well. I love the case.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I just got this today so I’m still feeling it out. For some reason the frets on this one feel dull and the strings dig in when doing bends rather than gliding across like the 2008 does. It’s hard to explain I guess. I’ll try replacing strings first.

58pit, Biddlin and arcticsg like this.
  2. ungarn

ungarn New Member

New strings and some buffing on the frets should take care of that. Very cool SG!

Biddlin and rotorhead like this.
  3. rotorhead

rotorhead Well-Known Member

That's a sweet one. Take some time and get the feel for it. Buff out the rough spots and come to accept that each one has it's own sweet spots.

If you can at all manage it, keep the other one, too ;)

4. DrBGood

DrBGood Well-Known Member

Only replacing strings probably won't solve the problem. It does sound like your frets are a bit rough. You will have to polsih them as mentionned above. Different abrasives can be used for that, but you have to protect the fretboard first. Pretty easy job, it takes some time and effort, and there are tons of videos on the procedure to guide you.

5. Six Stringed Demon

Six Stringed Demon Active Member

I just sold an 02 Les Paul Voodoo! I like rue finish on these. The red grain overtoned by the black stain is unique. I didn’t care for the way the neck felt or I would have kept it and sought out an SG.

Congrats on your score!!

6. PhoenixFear

Thanks for the replies. I’ll have to look into getting abrasives for polishing the frets. It seems the luthiers I would use in this town are preoccupied. For whatever reason I cringe at fixing up my guitars. However I do need to get this problem resolved. Bending the strings feels like I’m shaving the frets down.

I’m hoping to keep the blue guitar too, I usually try not to have two of the same guitar but I’m still loving playing it.

7. Bad Penguin

Bad Penguin Active Member

Here you go Phoenix, a quick tip that will save you a bit a cash, and perfect if the frets aren't too dinged up.

Take a LEATHER strap that you don't use anymore. MUST be leather. Take the smooth side of the leather strap, and rub it against the frets. Boom, polished frets. ( Not quite as quick as that, but you get the drift.)

I had the Paul version, and while it felt great, just couldn't bond with the brashness of the pickups combined with the ash body.

Six Stringed Demon likes this.
  8. Biddlin

Biddlin Well-Known Member

+1

9. PhoenixFear

I remembered my old guitar teacher swore by a thing called Gorgomyte. I decided to order it and a roll of really thin blue painter’s tape. The frets are now extremely polished and bright but there still is pitting. I should have sanded with 1500-2000 grit before but thought the Gorgomyte would be a great first try. The stuff works great otherwise. I’ll probably take it to a luthier for a setup because of other things I noticed but this one plays a lot better already.

10. Six Stringed Demon

Do you live in Phoenix?

11. PhoenixFear

Actually no, I’m in Las Vegas. I really need to change my name or get a new account haha.

12. Six Stringed Demon

I was gonna say, I can meet you and get you all the stuff you need to polish your frets (Harbor Frieght since everything is a consumable anyway), and show you how to do it.

I’m not like most guitar techs, I’ll show you if you’re willing to learn and cost myself the same job in the long run so you understand and you enjoy your guitars longer.

PhoenixFear, DrBGood and arcticsg like this.
  13. PhoenixFear

Thanks for the offer. I consider myself a DIY type but for some reason guitars seem like delicate snowflakes to me.

14. Six Stringed Demon

I got started with off brand guitars to do a job on before I took a step up. I must have refretted, fret level and do complete set ups on 20 or more Maestros, First Acts and then Squier’s before I did my first Fender or Epiphone. I did a few Gibson’s before I took on a vintage. I have a 47-51 L5 I’m about to do a fret job and body crack repair on next.

I have done headstock breaks and heel breaks and have even built a few “juniors” from wood planks. I have a few hardcore restorations I’m doing to.

Look over “Lola” (my spin on Labor Of Love) on this blog if you’re interested.

http://unequivocal-designs.blogspot.com/?m=1

PhoenixFear likes this.
  15. PhoenixFear

Turns out the guitar needed a fret level and recrown. The luthier had me look at it under a magnifying glass and it looked like someone had taken a razor blade and went up and down the frets with it. Luckily it wasn’t too much fret material to take out but I’ve never encountered that before. Oh well, it plays buttery now.

arcticsg and Six Stringed Demon like this.
  16. Six Stringed Demon

Alls well that ends well!

17. PhoenixFear

Is there a huge difference between swamp ash and mahogany acoustically? I played both to compare today and I’m not sure what I prefer. The Voodoo is noticeably heavier and actually sounds less snappy and acoustic. Even tapping on the wood has a solid thud to it. My other SG sounds like a semi hollow body in comparison.

njpaulc likes this.