2011 Classic v 2016 Standard with p90's

Discussion in 'Gibson SG' started by Sonic Blues, Sep 19, 2018.

1. Sonic Blues

Sonic Blues New Member

Hi there,
    I want to buy a 2xP90 SG secondhand, and have narrowed it down to one of these 2 guitars :

2011 SG Classic
    2016 SG Standard with P90's

Which one would you recommend of the two?
    Or have you owned either, and how would you rate them?....

Many Thanks

Lunacy the Faded likes this.
  2. cerebral gasket

cerebral gasket Well-Known Member

Welcome.

2004 SG Classic pictured below is my favorite guitar. The bridge P-90 is a Kinman zero-hum Nasty 90 and the neck P-90 is stock.

[​IMG]

It's a matter of personal preference on how much ornamentation you want on your guitar, dot vs trapezoid inlays and whether or not you want a crown inlay on the headstock.

The 2016 SG Standards have the SG Rounded neck profile, so it will be similar to most SG Classics which tend to have a beefy neck as well.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2018
    Lunacy the Faded and Sonic Blues like this.
  3. Sonic Blues

Sonic Blues New Member

Hi Cerebral Gasket,

Nice Guitar, I will have to keep that model in mind also.

Actually I like dot markers, and I've always prefered simple plain headstocks.
    Neckwise I like like both beefy and slimmer, both have their virtues.

I was lucky enough to play a Pete Townshend Signature 2000 SG( limited edition of 250). It was far and away the best playing and sounding guitar I've ever played....just mind blowing. I know I will never be able to afford one of those, but I'm hoping to get somewhere close to it soundwise.

Have you kept the stock P90's in the 2004?

cerebral gasket likes this.
  4. Sonic Blues

Sonic Blues New Member

Sorry, missed some of the first part of your message, picture distracted me lol. What made you go for the Kinman?

5. Lunacy the Faded

Lunacy the Faded Active Member

I recommend the 2016 standard if the price is right. The 2011 classics seems to be priced very well right now in comparison. I'd get on with either one. There's also cheaper slim taper neck 2012 SG Standards with P90s.

Sonic Blues and cerebral gasket like this.
  6. cerebral gasket

cerebral gasket Well-Known Member

I did a lot of research on noiseless P-90's and when I heard samples of the Kinman P-90's vs the other offerings, and then AB test against a humbucker, I was convinced that's what I wanted. They sound very articulate and clear with high gain which is what I wanted in the bridge position.

The neck pup cavity is too shallow for a stacked P-90, which is why I left the stock P-90 in place. I use the neck pup for cleans and the bridge pup for hi gain, so this configuration works well for me.

I don't know if a stacked P-90 would sound different than a P-90 sized humbucker. Not sure if having the coils side by side or having them stacked on top of each other makes a difference. As long as they are hum-cancelling and sound good is all that matters.

I prefer dots as well. The Townshend SG is awesome with the wraparound bridge. I have a 1970 SG Junior set up with a wraparound bridge and really like the simplicity of that guitar. Sometimes one P-90 is not enough and if you want two P-90's, then the SG Classic takes care of that.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2018