2014 vs 2018 SG Standard

Discussion in 'Gibson SG' started by Fltwrench, Jan 9, 2019.

1. Fltwrench

Fltwrench New Member

I was comparing my 2014 SG Standard to my 2018 SG Standard and I notice that the neck joint seems different. It seems more squared off on the 14 and the top strap button looks higher up (closer to the neck) on the 18. I suppose this was to address neck dive? Anyone know what they changed, or when the change came? I will try and post pics later. Thanks.

Ray likes this.
  2. gball

gball Well-Known Member

They are different. Starting in 2017 (I believe) they went back to the old-school neck join, but it had nothing to do with neck dive (a non-issue IMO anyway). They did it to lengthen the tenon in order to increase neck stability.

Ray likes this.
  3. Fltwrench

Fltwrench New Member

Oh wow cool thanks. So in theory the neck should be more stable on my 2018.

4. Fltwrench

Fltwrench New Member

I’m thinking about selling one of them and can’t decide which one to keep, lol. They are both great.

AngelDeVille likes this.
  5. Ray

Ray Active Member

2018 Standards rocks like hell!:D Cool initiative, comparing models from different years. I was nor aware of this fact about Gibson going old school recently, with lenghtening the tenons. Cool stuff.

Edit: Keep the 2018! Got one myself and its awesome in every way.:D

6. gball

gball Well-Known Member

In theory, yes, but I never had any trouble with the shorter tenon ones. My 2017 Standard has the longer one and it's easily as playable on the higher frets as my '81 with a tiny neck join, and that's what I most care about.

Ray likes this.
  7. Fltwrench

Fltwrench New Member

I haven’t even plugged in the 18 yet, I’m anxious to hear how the 61 pickups compare to the 57’s in the 14.

8. gball

gball Well-Known Member

Different enough to justify having both. The 57's have balanced coils and the 61's are burstbuckers, so that difference alone gives them a very different dynamic response. I like the 57's in my 2017 Standard but TBH I think they are better in Les Pauls - I preferred the '61's in the SGJ I used to have. (Pretty sure I am dropping a T-Top clone into the bridge of this guitar anyway so guess its a moot point)

arcticsg and Ray like this.
  9. Fltwrench

Fltwrench New Member

Yeah I’ve gone all guitar geek on comparing these 2 guitars. The necks pretty much feel the same but I’m going to take some measurements today after work.

Ray likes this.
  10. Ray

Ray Active Member

Prepare to rock out, is just what I'm saying. Those 61's sound VERY vintage hard-rock!:D

Fltwrench likes this.
  11. cerebral gasket

cerebral gasket Well-Known Member

They have been changing the neck heel joint slightly every year since 1961. It just gives us something to discuss on forums.

I pay no attention to neck heels or bevels and just play whatever comes with the guitar.

juliang, PixMix, arcticsg and 2 others like this.
  12. AngelDeVille

AngelDeVille Well-Known Member

I have a 91, 11, 15, and a 17.

They may all have different neck joints, but they all ROCK!

They could even have different neck joints within the same month, Gibson does what Gibson does...

13. SG standard

SG standard Well-Known Member

Play, feel, listen, then decide. That should give a more reliable and less regrettable decision than looking at, or thinking about, the neck joint. ;)

Fltwrench and arcticsg like this.
  14. Fltwrench

Fltwrench New Member

I ended up spending a lot of time plugged in with both guitars which was the best advice ever. I’ve decided to keep the 2014 and sell the 2018. The 57’s sound great with the volume rolled back but the 61’s just die. The 2014 has old school wiring and the 2018 is PCB. The 2014 has a much darker rosewood fingerboard too, could just be from being a bit older and played in.

15. papagayo

papagayo Active Member

The 2014 design is the same than the '61 ri except the headstock, perfect with the small pickguard imho.

Dale and Fltwrench like this.
  16. Dale

Dale Active Member

My 14 Standard is nearly identical to the 61ri I chose it over. My 17 has a different join. It is not a great picture but the longer piece behind the neck can be seen. The 14 is on the left.

[​IMG]

papagayo likes this.
  17. papagayo

papagayo Active Member

Right,

I think that 2013, 2014 and 2015 SGs Standard have the same body design than the '61 Ri, body-neck joint too.