2015 SG Standard Wiring Upgrade Help

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by SGboy, Jun 2, 2020.

1. SGboy

SGboy New Member

Hi, I have the above guitar and want to replace the split coils pots and just a general upgrade.
    I cannot seem to find a OEM wiring diagram on the web. Does anyone have a link? I have done wiring before many years ago before the web!

I have a few questions as I'm sure there are lots of people out there who have done this wiring change.

The pickups are 57 Classic 4 wire. What colours do I have to join to make them 2 wire ?

I would like to try a volume/treble bleed resistor/cap. What are values that work with this pickup/guitar?

Also would like to try 50's wiring. Any thoughts with the above combination of pickups or treble bleed? Maybe only do one or the other????

Any link or diagrams would be helpful.

Thank you

Glenn

2. Von Trapp

Von Trapp Well-Known Member

3. Von Trapp

Von Trapp Well-Known Member

4. Chuteboxehero

Chuteboxehero Well-Known Member

Red and white go together, green and bare are ground, black is the hot lead. Here's how to do the 50s wiring...
    [​IMG]

papagayo likes this.
  5. SGboy

SGboy New Member

Hi, thanks for the schematics. Great help.

Just one more question. If you do the 50's wiring would you do the treble/volume bleed also?? What has been your experience?

Thanks
    Glenn

6. Chuteboxehero

Chuteboxehero Well-Known Member

I
    The 50s wiring should eliminate the need for a treble bleed.

Bubbalou88 likes this.
  7. SGboy

SGboy New Member

Thanks for the tips.

8. RW59

RW59 Member

As a general thing, only do one mod at a time. If you do everything at once, it's impossible to know what did what.

A "general upgrade" shouldn't change the tone at all. But some people are convinced they can hear differences in cap types. And different tapers on the pots may let you more easily find tones that were lurking undiscovered before.

So you should do the "general upgrade" first, but wire it exactly as it is now (except for removing the coil split wiring). Evaluate the changes (if any).

Next, add a treble bleed. There are several variations -- try them all. The bleed circuit interacts with the various loads connected to it -- the "best" one depends on your whole rig (cables, pedals, amp).

Then remove the bleed and try '50s wiring. That will significantly change the way the volume and tone controls interact. You need to judge it on its own.

People hype '50s wiring as if it's the Holy Grail. It does work better for the way some people use their controls. But modern wiring isn't a cost cutting thing. It's become nearly universal because it works better for the way most twist their knobs.

After you evaluate the upgrade, the bleed, and '50s wiring individually, you're likely to conclude you either prefer '50s by itself or modern w/bleed. But if not, then try '50s with bleed. (But then you have to rerun the gamut of bleed circuits, because the one that worked best with modern probably won't be the best one with '50s.)

rotorhead likes this.
  9. SGboy

SGboy New Member

Hi, thanks for the advice and logical steps. I had planned to do one mod at a time.

I have not heard from anyone who has done either of these mods and what the out come was. Did the 50's wiring do it all? Did they try the volume/treble bleed on its own or combined and the outcome? What values of resistor/caps worked. Maybe they did the wiring change and left the caps OEM. Just curious.

Thanks
    Glenn

10. Bubbalou88

Bubbalou88 Member

I agree! I did 50’s wiring but tried a treble bleed on neck volume pot but ended up taking it off.

11. papagayo

papagayo Well-Known Member

I don' t use so much Split coil on my 2015 SG Std, I play "single coil" Classic 57 on the bridge pickup for raggae and funky gimmick.

Chuteboxehero likes this.