2016 Gibson SG Static Cling:

Discussion in 'Tone Zone' started by Robert Herndon, Dec 6, 2016.

1. Robert Herndon

Robert Herndon Well-Known Member

Noticed tonight that even my straplock on my 2016 Gibson SG T Series would lightly 'pop' when I touched it....strings too. There is an area on the back of the body, between the pickups, that will also make a "static cling-like noise" if you run your finger along it, as does the plastic control cavity cover...

Now, having said these blasphemous things, I am sitting directly in front of (2) DSL40C's when this takes place, so I am sure that has a bit to do with it, but I'm thinking some copper tape is in order!!!!

Last edited: Dec 6, 2016
  2. Robert Herndon

A little irritating....siting in the same spot, same amp settings...my ragged old 1987 Squire with a 13.9k GFS double-slug humbucker is dead quiet....true, it's fully shielded, but it just bugs me that I end up spending so much on my new Gibson to get it to deliver the same sound quality as my run down Squire....

3. Tony M

Tony M Well-Known Member

...or a wireless so you don't get electrocuted.:shock:

Is one of the DSLs not grounded?

Robert Herndon likes this.
  4. Tony M

Tony M Well-Known Member

Posted # 3 before your second post arrived.
    Are you building up a static charge somehow?
    Nylon rug and wool sweater or something like that?
    Hey, you never know.

5. Robert Herndon

Switch guitars...it goes away. It's only my Gibson...

6. Robert Herndon

I'm just sitting here...switching guitars back and forth..Schecter, Gibson, Stratocaster, and just evaluating the noises...the Gibson is the only one that behaves this way...

7. Tony M

Tony M Well-Known Member

Sounds like it's copper tape time.
    Make sure the ground wire connection is good as well.

8. Robert Herndon

Last time I bought copper tape was from Carvin in the 1990's...who is the best supplier with the widest tape???

9. Robert Herndon

I do have to say that my Gibson has the best TONE by far.....but the most irritating thing, even more so than the static, is that I play faster, and more accurately on the Schecter...same brand and gauge on both guitars 46-9

10. jvin248

jvin248 Active Member

First try rubbing a fabric-softener dryer sheet on the plastic parts to find out if the noise is just static charge. Otherwise go into the shielding project.

Think about getting pickup covers, if the guitar you are working with is the one in your avatar. Even an otherwise shielded guitar can catch noise from a laptop computer sitting in front of you. I have two humbucker guitars with the same setups and shielded and one with covers one without. sitting in front of the laptop going back and forth I took the noisy one and made a little cap from the same foil that I grounded to the guitar and that temporary cap made that guitar as quiet as the other with covers. Some players rip the covers off because they want 'that airy top end', but get the noise with it or the pickups never came with covers. You can put a capacitor in series if the covers made the pickups too dark.

I have a roll of aluminum roof flashing tape that I use to shield all my guitars. Use an ohm meter to check for continuity as you go, wrinkle or bend over a corner if you find a piece that didn't connect at first. A roll at the local hardware store is under $8 that has done a couple dozen guitars so far.

Check that you have a grounded output wire that goes to the jack, you should, but that is a big source of noise on many Fenders (some like the idea of a pair of push-back cloth wires for 'authentic tone' but they get that authentic noise too...).

11. Robert Herndon

Jvin,

Thanks for the detailed post. Yes...it's the Gibby in my avatar and, as you pointed out, I just ordered up wax potted, vintage wound (7-8k) nickel covered PAF'S for this guitar...in an effort to address high stage volume feedback....

I think I will shield the back of the control cavity cover and under the pickups as suggested.

Could the furry liner in my gator TSA case be creating a static charge????

12. Raiyn

Raiyn Well-Known Member

I bought mine from Art of Tone. This stuff has conductive adhesive so you can just overlap pieces as small as you like to ensure a complete job with no gaps.

Application pictures are here.

13. Robert Herndon

I think it has to be static...why else would a straplock in the wooden body be charged????

Anything anti static to put in the case???

14. Raiyn

Raiyn Well-Known Member

Dryer sheet?

15. smitty_p

smitty_p Well-Known Member

I've done a little research with the Google, looking for some insight to your problem.

It seems this is not altogether unusual. On some forums I've clicked on, there is a theory among some that it has to do with the composition of the Gibson finish.

The dryer sheet seems like a good thing to try.

16. Raiyn

Raiyn Well-Known Member

Great......nitrocellulose and it generates static electricity?!

[​IMG]

17. smitty_p

smitty_p Well-Known Member

Yeah. Like I said it's just something I saw on another forum. One poster thought it had to do with additives in the lacquer.

It's just a theory, and I don't know, for sure. I'm just passing it along as a potentially helpful hint...or as an unintended muddying of the waters!

18. Raiyn

Raiyn Well-Known Member

Lucky me, I own an Epiphone!

19. Robert Herndon

Faded SG doesn't have much of a finish

20. Raiyn

Raiyn Well-Known Member

I'm grasping at straws here, but it won't hurt to try.

This should be obvious, but if / when you shield your axe:
    • Make sure that you connect all of the cavities to ground, be it by taping the wire rout or on a small guard by buss wire. For single shielded conductor wire you could piggyback the p'up cavity shield ground to the braid but it wouldn't be my first choice.
    • The rear control cover should be shielded & in mechanical contact with tape tabs from the control cavity (at screw holes preferably)
    Here's where I swerve you:
    • Since you have a batwing guard, you could put a big tab out from a p'up cavity and cover the back of the batwing in shield tape. If it's the finish as theorized, between the conductive adhesive of the tape (presuming you bought the good stuff) and the increased surface area contact of the batwing you might bleed the static to ground.
    Either way, it won't hurt anything to try.