2016 Gibson SG Static Cling:

Discussion in 'Tone Zone' started by Robert Herndon, Dec 6, 2016.

1. Robert Herndon

Robert Herndon Well-Known Member

Great ideas!!!

Yes, I got a 10 foot roll, 60mm wide of the good copper tape with conductive adhesive....

On my 1987 Squire Strat, I actually soldered the bottom of the cavity tape to ground....

2. Raiyn

Raiyn Well-Known Member

If you look at my mods on The Lady, I did the same while isolating the controls from the shield save for that one point.

3. Robert Herndon

Shouldn't the cover be shielded too on the backside????

How critical is it to tie all the copper together??? I dont think I tied all the copper together on my Stratocaster....

4. Raiyn

Raiyn Well-Known Member

??? It's has shielding facing the cavity..... Both factory and copper that I added.

The important thing is that it all connects to the common ground. If a piece doesn't, it serves no purpose. As long as you don't create a ground loop, how you accomplish it doesn't matter.

On mine, I soldered a short bit of 18ga tinned buss wire from the neck cavity to the bridge cavity, then from the bridge to control cavities I used a separate piece.
    My cavities are therefore connected in series. I bent the buss wire to fit as tightly to the wall of the wire bores as possible then soldered it to the shield. Kinda staple shaped if you could see it through the wood. I'd provide a picture, but they didn't turn out due to lighting / flash issues.

Robert Herndon likes this.
  5. Super fuzz

Super fuzz Member

Both of my Gibson guitars had large amounts of static new. It took a couple of years to totally go away in my Les Paul. My SG still has quite a bit of static, but not nearly as bad as was new. The SG is almost a year old.

I have no idea what causes it, but it definitely seems to be in the finish some how.

6. Dave_Death

Dave_Death Well-Known Member

Nitro off-gasses for quite a long time. If it is anything to do with the finish I suspect this off-gassing is at the root of it, given that it goes away after a couple of years.

I would make sure any shielding is continuous and grounded to the jack. Hell, you could put a piece of that dryer anti-static sheet between the two pickups if you think it would help

7. Robert Herndon

Lot's of static issues on the web....

Here is one of many I found....

I recently posted that I had a ton of static coming through my BRAND NEW Gibson SG. We decided collectively that it was a problem with the shielding in the electronics. Well, BINGO!!!! Gibson is no longer shielding the electronics in all of their guitars. This includes (but is not limited to) seemingly higher end Les Pauls and SGs.

Given the fact that Guitar Center did not know about this, they fixed mine free of charge. It would have cost me $80 to have it done (not a big deal but I had just dropped $1300 on it!!).

It works fine now and plays great! I'm really happy with the guitar now that it works the way it should. I would advise looking into this though before picking up a newer Gibson electric. To test it out, plug it in and turn up a bit. Rub your hand over the plate on the back of the guitar behind the pots. Also, rub it against your shirt and pants. You'll most likely hear some crackling. If you still want the guitar, point it out to the sales person and see if they will shield the electronics for you before you buy it. If you are buying online or used from someone, well, I don't know what to tell you.

I don't know why Gibson is letting these out like this! One of the worst ones I plugged in was a $2700 Les Paul. It was a beautiful piece but if you pay this much and get it home only to hear static coming through your playing, well, that's just unacceptable to me!

Anyhow, hope this helps.

8. Raiyn

Raiyn Well-Known Member

No real surprise there.

9. Dave_Death

Dave_Death Well-Known Member

1. I think the only shielding in Gibsons these days is in the PCB itself. They seem to have some kind of shielding built in to the back of them. That's it. If you don't have a PCB then I suspect they didn't compensate with paint.

2. You check the continuity of a ground with the continuity checker on a multimeter. Depending on the tape used and how you apply it overlapping the tape might be enough. I just used slug tape and that was okay.

3. Check that the grounding of your pots and bridge is complete.

4. See the comments above about the nitrocellulose. Issues with nitro tend to die down over time. It off-gasses for a long time after they are done. Hence the new Gibson smell.

WallaceWinston likes this.
  10. WallaceWinston

WallaceWinston Active Member

Mmm I love the smell of fresh Gibsons in the morning.

grausch likes this.
  11. DrBGood

DrBGood Well-Known Member

I say stuff all the cavities with fabric softener sheets.

12. JCarno

JCarno Active Member

I stole this from a2dconverter. Hope he don't mind. :cheers:

13. Raiyn

Raiyn Well-Known Member

Some simple electrical tape probably would have done the job and been ∞² easier.

14. jvin248

jvin248 Active Member

I went through this for a guy with an old E-series Strat last summer that he was trying to record with. The fix is to take conductive tape (aluminum roof flashing or aluminum furnace tape $7 a roll and will cover two dozen guitars) and cover the back of the pickguard plus put tabs at the screw points to connect that to the ground system. Any plastic plate will be susceptible to this, pickguard, rear cover.

If you shield the entire cavities with tape (a good thing to really quiet a guitar), make sure you are creating an 'enclosed box'. Noise will get in there like shining a flashlight through any gaps in the shielding. Partial shielding will help, but you want to box all that stuff up and it's just as much work to do some as do it all when the guitar is open. Including unshielded wire runs (Fender Strats and Teles classically use an unshielded pair to the output jack, meanwhile even Epiphone Specials use shielded cable runs).

Glad you got your guitar figured out.