2016 gibson sg

Discussion in 'Gibson SG' started by ypnos, Aug 30, 2015.

1. ScottMarlowe

ScottMarlowe Well-Known Member

I really like that '70s trib with mini dual rail humbuckers, especially in black.

2. bwotw

bwotw Well-Known Member

Yes of course, but for metal and such, there was nothing wrong with the classic 67RI style V we've seen for years. They're kinda perfect for that. The new model I find weird aesthetically, especially given that's the only model in the whole line up that seems updated for 2016. Actually, now that I think of it, a more blues-rock oriented V model with classic looks (maybe something like the '58 style in looks, BBs instead of ceramics...) and USA price would be a great idea, and a good companion to the more metal oriented V. I bet they'd sell a lot.

3. Dave_Death

Dave_Death Well-Known Member

Note that Gibson has made the switch to Grover vintage tuners after cancelling the Tonepros contract for 2015 ...

I like that new V, by the way

4. frankd

frankd Well-Known Member

My 120 th anniversary has burst bucker pros and stop tail bar. I don't like string thru body
    guitars and my V definitely doesn't have a typical application as I have no problems getting blues rock or metal
    tones out of her.

5. Karathas

Karathas Well-Known Member

I think i'm going to be getting a firebird this year..Don't tell my wife!! :)

gball and LeadFinger like this.
  6. frankd

frankd Well-Known Member

Hell yes to the bird But NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO don't tell wifey
    but damn that bird sticks out the minute she sees it she will know!

7. Madmatt

Madmatt Active Member

I really really dig this 'new' flying V. It looks sleek and mean and ready to shread.

danlad likes this.
  8. Karathas

Karathas Well-Known Member

Easier to beg forgiveness than ask permission...oh she will know...just not till it happens :)

ivan H likes this.
  9. Col Mustard

Col Mustard Well-Known Member

take a look at these faded specials... small PG on some of them.
    But the pickguard makes no difference to the sound IMHO.

http://www.zzounds.com/item--GIBSG7016?siid=179735

Look at the styling on these faded specials... they look like my 2012 SG special '70s tribute with the block
    inlays. I think that's very cool, and at a very attractive price.

ypnos, DoodoaXD and thatbastarddon like this.
  10. Metal89

Metal89 Well-Known Member

Very cool, it looks like the ones with small pickguards have mini-humbuckers

11. Madmatt

Madmatt Active Member

I firmly believe that the pick guard styling is THE factor in determining in the Tone of a guitar. And if it is not just right, or is ever changed. The mojo evaporates and the guitar is Ruined Forever!!

:rofl:

On a more serious note, min hums in a sg seem like a cool option, wounder how they'd sound.

Bettyboo and Gahr like this.
  12. thatbastarddon

thatbastarddon Well-Known Member

Oh my!!! That mid 80s style V is phenomenal looking with those zebras!!:dude:
    The shenanigans that I called earlier are GOOD shenanigans by the looks of recent events!
    Keep this stuff coming! My P90 standard is my current favorite SG that I own! I've been playing it at every opportunity. I'm glad to see them back.
    Those block inlaid specials look sweet too!
    Whatever about the LPs...mine hurts my forearm every time I play it for more than a few minutes. That said, the LP does sound pretty great though... I just have no ambition to punish myself for an entire gig with one, these days.

Now if they'd only bring back that baked maple, creamy, fretboard goodness they had going on...:naughty:

13. Gahr

Gahr Well-Known Member

Oh, the faded Specials are sweet, indeed. Do those mini humbuckers differ much from the ones used in the SGs in the early 70's? I have an SG2 from around '72 that is really bright sounding. The price is great too. I can't wait to see what they will cost in Norway. The price on 2015 Gibson models just dropped here. Too bad I haven't played a 2015 I felt comfortable with, or I would have seriously considered a couple of them.

And, sure, the pickguard doesn't really matter at all, it would just be the icing on the cake for me.:smile: After getting a Les Paul Junior and really falling in love with the P90, I'm lusting for a nice Gibson SG Special to have a guitar with a P90 in the neck position as well. And the 2016 P90 Standard comes soooo close to being perfect. I already have an Epi '61 reissue Special, but it is always tuned to open E for slide, so I DEFINITELY need another guitar similar to it.

14. Dave_Death

I tend to think that the pickguard style does have some impact on the guitar's sound, but only because the large pickguard conceals a large rout on the top, at least on the two and three pickup versions. My batwing Junior doesn't have much of a rout, but it is bigger than the one of the small pickguard Juniors.

For example, the 'bathtub' rout on the 3 pickup version:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 2, 2015
    PermissionToLand likes this.
  15. Madmatt

Madmatt Active Member

My epi had the giant pickguard, And the same routing as my (pickguard less) gibson.

But you make a very good point, you really never know whats under the pickguard till you look.

Edit; just remembed the epi was a limited run of a model that normally had the small pickguard. The bodys were the same, so they probably did all the routing on the same machine

16. Dave_Death

My two-pickup batwing SGs have generally had the two pickup holes connected by a narrow channel open under the pickguard, rather than a drilled tunnel as on the small pickguard versions, like this:

[​IMG]

17. LeadFinger

LeadFinger Well-Known Member

That is an amazing price for the Firebird. Maybe it's a misprint? If so, we'd all better hurry before they come to their senses, "hey, you advertised it! And with a case!"

bwotw likes this.
  18. gball

gball Well-Known Member

Ditto. Been wanting one for a while now. Would prefer a non-reverse but they are generally CS models it seems so am very interested in this new one.

19. syscokid

syscokid Well-Known Member

FWIW... The V's do come in Wine Red, too

2016 Flying V Wine Red.jpg

20. DrBGood

DrBGood Well-Known Member

Can you replace minis with P90s without any mods ? If so the faded could be a cheap P90 machine.