2016 gibson sg

Discussion in 'Gibson SG' started by ypnos, Aug 30, 2015.

1. thatbastarddon

thatbastarddon Well-Known Member

I too like nibs. However, i do prefer the older style over the "modern" style. I find them comfortable againt my hand. Only one of my gibsons, and one of my other electrics, has them though.

2. Vinlander

Vinlander Member

Like for binding on a neck, for me it is a mostly an appearance thing but it add a bit to the comfort and overall feel of a neck I would say. Something Gibson have been doing since a long time that I expect to be there.
    I fully agree with the fact it doesn't serve much purpose other than appearance and maybe imply a certain level of craft to achieve, with the obvious potential for issue in the future when nibs/fret separation occurs or when a refret is required. It is one of those thing that are great until they fail so maybe unnecessary...But like for fret board binding in general, I am a sucker for them, I want them on all my guitars. Keeping all guitars in a humidity and temperature controlled area will minimize problem with them on te long run. My 1992 LP shows no sign of separation but I know some people had issue with them so I understand people's position on their value or not.

3. lockbody

lockbody Active Member

As I find that the neck on my SG Classic is about the most comfortable neck for me these days, the larger-spec'd neck on the new Standard has really piqued my interest.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned that the new Standard only comes with a padded gig bag. I do like my Gibsons with hard cases, that's for sure.

4. koaguilds

koaguilds Well-Known Member

A Standard should never leave the factory in a gig bag...imo! No Gibson should really.

Vinlander likes this.
  5. lockbody

lockbody Active Member

It is a good way to sell more Gibsons.

And $200 hard cases.

Of course, $1399 isn't a bad price at all for a new SG Std with case.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2015
  6. donepearce

donepearce Well-Known Member

London, helping a friend design a knitting machine
    I have more than enough hard cases and gig bags and I don't want any more of either. Just tie the thing up in bubble wrap.

Biddlin likes this.
  7. koaguilds

koaguilds Well-Known Member

With a little internet search effort a nice tkl case can be found for less that those jacked up 200 dollar extortionists. Hell, the brown Gator SG case is just as nice really and is 109 dollars...the chinese have made great strides in case quality.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Gator-Delux...SG-Gtr-Case-/171745660231?hash=item27fcd6cd47

Flat top tkl for 82 bux shipped!!!!:

http://www.amazon.com/TKL-7826-Styl...qid=1443974434&sr=8-3&keywords=sg+guitar+case

I'm willing to bet Gibson takes at least some loss due to transit damage at the hands of UPS gorillas in those gig bags. SG's are among the most easily damaged in shipping it seems?

Bettyboo likes this.
  8. Col Mustard

Col Mustard Well-Known Member

my vote in the great 2015 guitar debate was to buy an Epiphone ES-339 P-90 pro.
    I was not against the innovations, but resented the lack of choice (as did many other guitarists).
    Gibson seems to be remedying that... so applause to them and may they live long and prosper.
    Klingon beer.JPG
    reH HIvje'lIjDaq 'Iwghargh Datu'jaj --Klingon toast
    ("may you always find a bloodworm in your glass.")

thatbastarddon likes this.
  9. Biddlin

Biddlin Well-Known Member

Careful what you wish for. That's how they shipped this one.
    shit.jpg
    sigh
    ;>)/

koaguilds likes this.
  10. Bettyboo

Bettyboo Well-Known Member

11. donepearce

donepearce Well-Known Member

London, helping a friend design a knitting machine
    Damn, that's not nice. Happily I don't need to get them shipped - just pick 'em up from the shop.

But seriously, was that the package? No protection whatever.

12. lockbody

lockbody Active Member

Well, I couldn't stand it any longer and just pulled the trigger on a 6.5lb 2016 in Ebony from Sweetwater. There were some nice ones in cherry (including one in particular with a TON of grain), but my Classic is cherry and I wanted something different. Plus, seeing that black one the other day with the vibrola really got me gassing for another black SG.

Just FYI, they're offering 24 months, no interest on these right now.

peskypesky likes this.
  13. Biddlin

Biddlin Well-Known Member

One wrap of bubble wrap and an extra one on the headstock. Brief telephone conversation with the seller made the problem clear and clearly his.

Fortunately I spent twenty years of my life farming in West Texas, between 1983 & 84.:rofl:The guy really did talk like that.
    ;>)/

koaguilds likes this.
  14. bea

bea Well-Known Member

well, i just saw the first 2016 models on stock here in Germany. Not at Big-T - the number 2 of the four big dealers has a black standard on stock. Price tag pretty high, same as the 2015 standard at Big-T.

And the 2015? Gets a Christmas- sell out:
    Number 2 seems to have bought fairly significant amounts of Gibsons. Among them 2015 standards. Price tag 1000 €. And that's really interesting (Big-T's prices are still the old ones).

Comment of a friend, professional player, on the guitars - in her case 5 Les Paul 2015: she can live very well with the wider fingerboard (strangely the string spacing remained the same - had never mentioned in the comments on the 2015 models) and the fat necks. These make up for a good tone. She really likes the '59 humbuckers. The electric tuners, well, the usual thing ... A thing which never had commented here: lousy end control and hence many many defects in the electronics - bad soldering points, even defective pickups. After repair, these guitars were all at least good, and one was killer and will stay with her.