2016 Special T with mini humbuckers

Discussion in 'Gibson SG' started by Horax, Apr 27, 2018.

1. Horax

Horax Active Member

Anybody own one of these?
    They are on 'sale' now fro $899 on musicians friend, and I am intrigued.

Never even seen a mini humbucker, and I kind of like them having the cream pickguards
    and gold knobs with block inlays.

Please share your thoughts and opinions on them:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Col Mustard and arcticsg like this.
  2. GrumpyOldDBA

GrumpyOldDBA Active Member

I like the black one but gold knobs look funny on it to me. They look better on the brown one.

3. arcticsg

arcticsg Well-Known Member

Pretty nice, I like the burst more, not really sure about the white pickguard though. ;)

I just picked up a brand new 2017 Special with mini's and a 24 fret board from Sam Ash for $599 delivered. It comes with a more traditions color. I added the pickguard and switch washer for 35.49. For a grand total of $634.49.

[​IMG]

Col Mustard and cerebral gasket like this.
  4. cerebral gasket

cerebral gasket Well-Known Member

I purchased a used 2016 that was mint for $600. The minis on this particular one are not hot as advertised. Neck is 6.2K and bridge is 7.3K. Guess I got lucky. The 2016 models have a fat maple neck that I prefer. The volutes on these are awesome.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 27, 2018
  5. Clifdawg

Clifdawg Well-Known Member

I have one in the burst. Beautiful guitar. Pickups are very, very hot, but they really rock when you're playing medium-to-high gain stuff. A little flat when clean, but they soften up with the volume knob. I used to hate them, but now that I've gotten used to using the full range of my volume knobs, I don't want to swap them for anything else. 900 bucks seems high though; I got mine in early 2017 new for 750. And that was without any discount...

Mine, with my Katana:
    [​IMG]

6. Blucifer

Blucifer Member

7. Col Mustard

Col Mustard Well-Known Member

It doesn't matter what color it is... these are excellent guitars.
    I bought mine in 2013 when Gibson marked them down to under $600.
    So if you decide you want one, I'd wait for them to go on sale, or for M/F to
    offer a discount coupon that actually applies. Or get a used one from
    somebody that didn't know how to get a tone he wanted from his SG. *laughs

The mini hum buckers on mine are not hotter than regular Gibson '57 Classic humms.
    The output seems to be in the same decibel range to my ear. An SG with minis has
    a fine unique voice all its own. This is what I wanted when I bought mine, and it
    delivers. If you are trying to emulate the tone of some other guitar, these are not for
    you. If you want an excellent tone that stands by itself, buy this guitar.
    April 2017@100.jpg

Mine is the prototype model from 2012... the first of these I ever saw. I wanted it
    immediately. I already have an SG with '57 Classic and Classic plus. So I'm used to the
    best. The minis sound different, so I have two SGs to produce different tones. So yay.
    April & Luna@100.jpg
    Gibson describes the tone of the mini hum bucker as "more tightly focused" than a regular
    hum bucker. I would agree with that. These are the same pickups that Gibson installs in the
    Les Paul Deluxe. Those guitars have their own following. I have heard that the Gibson Firebird
    has a different breed of mini hum bucker, with hotter output and ceramic magnets. I know
    this was true in the past, but maybe not now? I dunno. Firebird enthusiasts can answer that.
    April tall rig@100.jpg
    My favorite amp to play mine through is the Orange Micro Terror, powering up
    a couple of home made cabs with 1/12, 1/10, and 1/8" speakers. I like all the tones
    from this guitar, it can get deep growly lows, good mids with lots of presence and
    fine jangly highs. So I'm a happy mini-hum player. Mine plays well with pedals,
    and also sounds rich and musical when played clean. Highly recommended.

Mine's mostly stock, with a few judicious mods:
    I installed old style witch hat knobs on mine, and a few other things.
    But the wiring, the pickups, the bridge and the nut are all stock, and all excellent.
    Controls@100.jpg
    I also like the maple neck on this model. It seems a bit more stable tuning wise than
    the traditional mahogany. It seems very rigid (for an SG) with little wobble. You'd
    have to really horse this guitar to get a neck-wah sound, which is a really dumb idea
    anyway. An excellent neck. The volute doesn't get in my way.

The neck carve is what Gibson describes as "70s thick to thin" contour... whatever that is.
    Whatever it is, I like it. I would describe it as 'fast and comfortable" ...but of course I
    describe ALL SG necks in these terms. Guitar slut, I know. I don't think the neck on this
    model is like anything else. It's a pleasure to play. If you like the idea of a unique guitar,
    buy this. If you MUST have one that's just the same as what you're used to, buy something
    else.

And here's one more feature: under the mini hum there is a steel plate. This part will accept
    either a mini hum bucker or a P-90 pickup. Just screw it in, solder a couple of joints and rock.
    Some members have modded their SG specials to include both. It's an easy mod if you want
    an SG with P-90s and the minis don't float yer boat. SG with P-90s is another classic tone that
    can't be denied. Wire them like a big hum bucker and get no buzz in the middle position.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2018
  8. cerebral gasket

Keep in mind that in order for P-90's to be hum-free in middle position, one of the pickups has to be RWRP to cancel the hum. I was surprised to find that many of the newer LP and SG Specials with P-90's are being shipped from the factory with the same P-90 in both positions. You will not be able to cancel the hum in middle position with those.

S.Ustain and rotorhead like this.
  9. Col Mustard

silly me, I thought you could just reverse the wires and get this effect.

My only P-90 guitar has pickups made by Rose Pickups, and I asked them to wire them
    this way for me, and they did. I would have thought all P-90s made recently might have
    this feature. But maybe it violates some holy grail tradition or something. When in doubt,
    do it the way it was done 70 years ago, eh?

cerebral gasket likes this.
  10. BubbaV0

BubbaV0 New Member

What's the neck like on those 2016 special T with the mini-hums? Chunky? Slim?

Has anyone dropped GFS mini-tron or other filtertron type pups in their SG? I'm curious about how trons get along with a solid 'hog body.

11. cerebral gasket

Neck is chunky on these.
    Pups don’t care what species of wood.

12. S.Ustain

S.Ustain Member

Pickups don't care what species of wood, true, but strings do (sometimes minimally, sometimes obviously) and since string vibration is what pickups pick up, well, wood type can be a factor for some people. Of course, there are many ways to shape tone, and I think that sometimes we obsess with the guitar itself too much, when it's often easy to shape the tone you want elsewhere in the signal chain.

cerebral gasket likes this.
  13. Col Mustard

yup... that's what I think too.

14. BubbaV0

BubbaV0 New Member

i think you're right about the minimal impact of pickups with the specific type of wood. But I didn't just say "hog" body. I said solid hog body. When I think of filtertron type pups, I think of Gretsch hollow bodies. I know some folks who really like the trons in a Hamer Newport which is a semi hollow guitar. I've never heard trons in a solid body like an SG. I was wondering if any folks here had experience or educated guesses as to what they'd sound like.

15. Col Mustard

well, it's a good question. Personally, I think an SG with Gretsch type p'ups ought to sound killer!

It makes me wonder if the filtertrons would fit in the same rout
    as a P-90 or a mini hum bucker. Gibson makes a floor plate for the
    pickup rout that fits either one. I've never owned a Gretsch,
    but heard them played by experts, and there's a kinship with
    SG tones.

My imagination tells me it would sound "rebellious..."

BubbaV0 likes this.
  16. BubbaV0

BubbaV0 New Member

"Rebellious" that sounds like fun.

I think the GFS minitrons would fit in the route for a p-90, mini-humbucker or firebird pup. I'm not sure who else makes filtertrons in that size. I'm used to seeing trons in the full humbucker size. I've been pleasantly surprised by GFS pups, lots of bang for buck. Certainly wouldn't break my bank to experiment.