2017 2018 sg standard Which one is closest to the Angus Young sound

Discussion in 'Gibson SG' started by Tanginangshyet, Oct 5, 2017.

1. Tanginangshyet

Tanginangshyet New Member

Hey Everyone! I'm new to the forums and new to guitars. I apologize in advance if this question was already posted or should've posted at another place.

I was wondering which one would sound closest to the Angus Young tone between the 2017 and 2018 sg standard t? I played around between the 2 at LGS but I can't figure out the diff since the place was kinda loud and busy.

Thanks in advance!

2. Gibbo SG

Gibbo SG Active Member

Their Gibson Custom Angus Young SG Standard is modeled directly after Young's trademark Gibson SG. If you want to have similar tone to Angus Young, that's your ticket!

Tanginangshyet likes this.
  3. lcw

lcw Active Member

4. JCarno

JCarno Active Member

Get any SG Standard, put in a late 70s early 80s T-Top or a Rewind JPPre 72 in the bridge, get an early 80s Marshall JMP, JCM 800 or Plexi, a 412 cab with 80s Celestion G1265s and you'll have Angus Tone for days and days.
    You really don't need to spend 2000.00 on the guitar alone.
    All that said, you'll still need his fingers to sound JUST like him.
    Good Luck!! :cheers:

John Vasco, Tanginangshyet and Raiyn like this.
  5. gball

gball Well-Known Member

^^This

That tone is 90-95% the amps. Just remember, a 100-watt NMV Marshall is going to be loud enough to rupture your spleen, so use with care. Keep in mind you absolutely need big-bottle power tube distortion to cop that sound accurately. It's not coming from any one guitar, set of pickups or a high-gain amp.

Tanginangshyet and SG standard like this.
  6. Tanginangshyet

I just checked Gibbo'sznd lcw's post. Man that's a beauty!

7. Tanginangshyet

@ JCarno and GBall, yeah I was thinking about the amp way but it's kinda pricey. But hopefully once I have the dough I can go that route

8. Raiyn

Raiyn Well-Known Member

∆This ∆

Mainly this though.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2017
  9. Tanginangshyet

I'll look into this some more. Might be able to find a way and get a school boy uniform as well hahahahahaha

Thanks guys!

10. JCarno

JCarno Active Member

I've never owned an SG special or one of the cheaper(only in price because of bling and features) SGs but I am sure that with the right pickups and amp(doesn't have to be one of the ones mentioned above) you can still get very close.
    I have an Epiphone G400 that at one time (before I swapped pickups) I'm sure I could get close to Angus tone with a Marshall DSL 50 and Gibson 57 Classic.

His tone is really not that hard to cop. My Orange Dual Terror got pretty close.
    Just remember, you don't need or want alot of distortion.
    Good Luck again!! :cheers:

Tanginangshyet and Raiyn like this.
  11. Rox

Rox Active Member

Indeed, @JCarno - there's much less distortion than people think there is.

I'd be certain that a decent SG Special, pickup and wiring upgrade with a decent modelling amp would really be a good way to do it. The tone isn't in the bling. :p

rotorhead, Tanginangshyet and Raiyn like this.
  12. Tanginangshyet

@JCarno and Rox I didn't know wiring upgrades could affect tone. I definitely need to look into that. I'm currently using An Epiphone SG pro with 15w Marshall CFR amp but I can't seem to dial in the right settings. So far I'm using the Crunch option with low bass & treble and with mid at about 8 and a lot of imagination. Hahahaha

I've always wanted to own a Gibson sg standard and I'm about to purchase one. But I can't seem to find the difference between the 2017 & 2018. I just started playing and I wanted to reward myself for my semi-retirement.

13. rotorhead

rotorhead Well-Known Member

That whole "less distortion" thing is key to his sound. Malcom used virtually none and Angus would bring it to the brink via sheer volume without going past the line into overdrive.

14. Col Mustard

Col Mustard Well-Known Member

Welcome to ETSG!

Lots of good input here... I'll just add that to me, attempting to get really close to the
    sound of a big star you admire is a quest in futility for most of us. We can go to a concert or watch a
    video and note the equipment that shows onstage, but we can seldom get a glimpse of what's being done
    to the sound by the crew. AY travels with his own sound crew, because he is a demanding artist AFAIK.

He knows what he wants and he gets it. I believe he travels with his own guitar tech too... when you pay
    a high price for a concert ticket, you're paying for all that you see, but also for what you don't see.
    The magic is in the fingers and the soul of the band leader, but also in the skilled work of the crew.
    None of the rest of us can approach that with equipment we can buy in a store. This doesn't mean we
    shouldn't play music. The music that the rest of us play is what it's really all about. Big stars come and go.

I've even seen some cool videos where they take us on a backstage tour and show us the equipment locker
    and the sound booth, and show us the amps and mikes used... But do they show us everything..... ..... .....?
    I don't think so. *grins ...I believe they keep some secrets

Just my take on it. There's no reason to fuss too much over it. Just play as best we can with the
    skill that's given us and the equipment we can afford buy
    . AY himself would likely say that too.
    Play what you love, as well as you can. That's what I believe.

rotorhead and Tanginangshyet like this.
  15. Biddlin

Biddlin Well-Known Member

Not enough of a difference between the two years to be consequential, but the 2017 might be your best bet. It comes with 57 classics, so the neck pu is there. The 2018 has 61s front and back and because of the AlnicoV slugs have more output, so they might be your cuppa. Angus sig pickups are typical of overwound PAF clones, thick mid, OK bottom and thin high frequencies. An EQ pedal will get you to the same place and then if you decide you want thicker top end, you don't have to pull the AY and put the 57 or 61 back in. My choice would be the 2017, 57s and SGs go together, imo.