2018 SG's

Discussion in 'Gibson SG' started by RedRiverII, Aug 19, 2017.

1. Logan

Logan Well-Known Member

It's no problem as long as you don't say what you paid for it. Nobody's got to know what you paid for it :thumb:

2. Biddlin

Biddlin Well-Known Member

That's right, an R9 could've been a $600 MF Stupid Deal. :cool:

3. Mass Defect

Mass Defect New Member

Here is a 2018 Special in Natural Satin. Mini hums. I dig it. Retails at $999.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. Kep

Kep Well-Known Member

I've worked my hide off for 40 years so far and if I want a $1600 SG Ima gonna have one. Call me all the names you want - I'll dry my tears on the fuzzy inside of the case.

I played crappy incorrectly set up guitars for years because I didn't have cash or the sense to know any better.
    There was an awakening though where I played an SG through a 5E3 cranked and I realized life is too short. I also met a proper luthier and learned about PLEK. My sincere hope is that the rest of you all figure this out much quicker than i did - especially the younger players.

Also as I have tried to share so many times before you don't need to spend big bucks to get the big boy sound. Right now there is a 2001 special with ebony board on your favorite website for less than the cost of a G400 with replaced tuners. Same with amps - got my Blackface Fender all beat up for 380. There are Ampegs and Harmony amps that sounds like a brick s-house if you know how to work them - that can be had for less than $300 - My H420 makes an 18 watt Marshall look tame and set me back $250 with RCA blackplates.

Anyway love you all. Rock it hard this weekend!

5. Logan

Logan Well-Known Member

100% agree with you Kep. I always get torn down for spending so much money on guitars at this age; that's the only reason I have a job so I can do that. Better to get them before I have a wife and kids that I have to finance along with my Guitar hobby :thumb:

Who should tell me that I can't buy a guitar because of the price? If I like it enough, I don't care about the price, I'm gonna save up and buy it :naughty:

6. Raiyn

Raiyn Well-Known Member

For the record, all I was saying is that Gibson charges out the a$$ to a point I personally find ridiculous for some of their stuff. It gets a little silly in my opinion, that's all.

Y'all are at a point where ya got the money and wanna spend it, cool. You'll get no judgements from me.

As for me, I'll happily mod Epi's, build husks, or buy used / closeout. I've got other responsibilities that take precedence.

You guys shouldn't take this ish so seriously.

bwotw, SG standard and rotorhead like this.
  7. Logan

Logan Well-Known Member

To be honest, I probably should save up for a car, and my comments were mainly directed towards someone on both of our ignore lists. I know that I will have responsibilities in the future, so while I don't have any, I'm going to buy guitars. I probably should start buying used though...

And my next gear purchase (after my Jazzmaster and Firebird are paid off) isn't even going to be something remotely guitar shaped. It's going to be a PA :dude:

Raiyn likes this.
  8. bobbiehart2013

bobbiehart2013 Active Member

Well stated sir, I applaud your stand on this issue. I wish online forums (especially Guitar forums) had more emphatic people such as yourself as members and less critical egocentric members preoccupied only with their own concerns to the exclusion of noticing or caring about others. Piagetian psychology classify's egocentrism as an early stage in cognitive development in which a CHILD is unable to understand that another person would have a different point of view than their's. Point being, (MOST) people grow out of this stage as they age. Sadly, that is not always the case. Let us all make this forum a supportive and mutually pleasurable experience for one another. Have a good day.

rotorhead likes this.
  9. Biddlin

[​IMG]
    He should take his own advice.

10. Biddlin

Origin
    [​IMG]
    Having a mentor with his head....in the sand is worse than having no mentor at all.

11. Raiyn

Raiyn Well-Known Member

If he's on the ignore list, why feed the grumpy troll? I think he's full already.

Logan likes this.
  12. Biddlin

Roflmao. If ignorance is bliss, Raiyn's found Nirvana.:lol:

13. Raiyn

Raiyn Well-Known Member

Oh look, what I presume was a snide comment :lol:

Biddlin and Logan like this.
  14. SG standard

SG standard Well-Known Member

Well that's certainly hard to argue with - although you could debate the point in their range that it becomes ridiculous... But I personally think that all Gibson products are overpriced compared to many competitors, however, that's the price you pay (literally) for even the cheapest USA-made guitars.

And that's entirely up to you. But I'd suggest you treasure those guitar's you've bought new. Right now you probably don't want to think about 40 years from now... but hopefully you'll still be around then, and able to enjoy those instruments that have been a part of your life since new... every scratch, ding & dent a part of your time with them. Beats any relicing!

Piaget's work on developmental stages was creative and groundbreaking, (but also flawed). More contemporary definitions & uses of the word 'egocentric' would see it as a fundamental characteristic of all human minds, rather than a childhood cognitive style. It may reduce in adulthood, or increase with depression, or be higher than 'normal' in narcissists, but it is not limited to children. 'Theory of Mind' would be a more current way of describing the ability to see another's mind as having a different point of view to one's own. It's absence in adulthood would suggest a pretty severe deficiency in psychological development, I hope I've misunderstood your post, and you're not actually suggesting this applies to any forum members.

Raiyn and Logan like this.
  15. Logan

Logan Well-Known Member

Let's get back on track.
    Man Gibson is really pushing these 70s Reissues. Crazy to think that they don't want you to call the apex headstock a Volute while they are pushing these...

Raiyn likes this.
  16. Biddlin

[​IMG]

17. flognoth

flognoth Active Member

I'm waiting to see if they reintroduce the harmonica bridge...

18. cerebral gasket

cerebral gasket Well-Known Member

Could not be any happier with the two used 2016 Specials I recently scored. They have a 70’s reissue look with modern feel that includes a 1-11/16 full width nut and Nashville bridge. I was so stoked about the first one with P-90’s and how well the neck fit my hand, did not realize it had a volute until I was at home and happened to see it. Found a second one stock with mini humbuckers. Volute or no volute does not bother me either way. I just play whatever comes with the guitar.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

SG standard and Biddlin like this.
  19. Logan

Logan Well-Known Member

No, volutes don't bother me either. A Gibson report came into where I work and was showing off the modern Doublecuts and my coworker Sebastian called it a Volute and the rep got really angry because they don't want to be associated with Norlin yet are doing these 70s Reissues full force. I quite like the idea of the Volute, anything that strengthens that headstock joint is good.

cerebral gasket likes this.
  20. Biddlin

But of course they don't.
    borcrc.jpg [​IMG] [​IMG]
    I would say that in 30 years as a tech I saw a few more Norlin Volute headstocks crack than nominal necks. Not an indictment, just an observation.
    As always noted, the real solution is not to let 'em fall over or drop.

rotorhead and cerebral gasket like this.