2018 Standard which wiring harness?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Ct Cajun, Dec 7, 2019.

1. Ct Cajun

Ct Cajun New Member

The stock circuitboard bit the dust - my luthier replaced the harness he had taken from an older SG with bumblebee caps but the tone is WAY too bright for me! What aftermarket harness would be best for rock/blues etc.? Stock sounded pretty good to me.. Suggestions? This guitar has the stock "61 pickups..

2. skelt101

skelt101 Active Member

The original PCB used '60s/Modern wiring and that is probably what you're used to. The harness that was installed likely uses '50s wiring, which I prefer. The latter has interactive volume and tone controls, and maintains clarity as the volume is decreased. IMHO, it is much easier to tame an overly bright guitar using the tone control than to brighten-up a muddy one. For some reason, many guitar players seem to be stuck with the idea that everything must be on 10! (On my Les Paul, I typically have the bridge pickup tone control around 5 and it sounds great!) My advice would be to adjust the tone control until it sounds good to you. If not, look for a harness that uses '60s/Modern wiring like so:
    https://rs-guitarworks.myshopify.co...ucts/copy-of-pre-wired-vintage-sg-upgrade-kit

jonnyfez likes this.