2018s are out!!

Discussion in 'Gibson SG' started by PelhamSG, Sep 1, 2017.

1. jakbur

jakbur New Member

Tried one at GC the other day. It was super light weight, resonated great and had a great feel to the neck! It sold while I was there!

2. gball

gball Well-Known Member

I think that's because Gibson themselves have been so instrumental in trying to perpetuate the myth that the Norlin guitars were inferior. According to them, only the '50's classics and what they are making now are worth your dollars. Please please don't go out and find a good deal on a '70's LPC when you know you can pick up a nice, new guitar that is soooo much better.

For the most part the unjustified Norlin bashing has toned down the last decade as more people realize they were some pretty great guitars. I'd put the one Norlin I currently own up against anything ever made. Come to think of it, I could have said the same thing about a couple of others that I have had in the past as well.

koaguilds likes this.
  3. koaguilds

koaguilds Well-Known Member

I've played so many SG's that I can't even count anymore and owned quite a few too. With that said I will state that some of the best one's were Norlin's from 72' to 75'. Slab cut, shallow bevels and all. The 73' standard with the unbound ebony board practically plays itself.

4. AngelDeVille

AngelDeVille Well-Known Member

I don't know who this Norlin guy is, but we need to keep the myth going, until I find my no bevel harmonica bridge SG.

5. njpaulc

njpaulc Active Member

I just don't like the way they look. Don't like block markers, don't like front loaded controls, don't like no bevels. That being said I still kick myself for not buying an used early '70's standard when I had the chance in '75. Didn't like the volute, don't know why, the only reason I knew it was there was 'cause I saw it, made no difference in the way it played.

6. Dickey001

Dickey001 Member

Not a damn thing impresses me about the 2018s. I like (& own) a REAL SG, like the ones they made up until '69. These things are fugly...just like the '018 Harleys.

AngelDeVille likes this.