2019 SG custom?

Discussion in 'Gibson SG' started by fierogt28, Apr 15, 2019.

1. fierogt28

fierogt28 New Member

Does anyone know how many 2019 SG Custom's Gibson made, or going to make?

My local dealer say only 300 are going to be made...is there any proof or confirmation behind
    this?

How can we find out for any SG how many were made for a specific model?

Thanks,

2. PermissionToLand

PermissionToLand Well-Known Member

SG standard likes this.
  3. SG standard

SG standard Well-Known Member

Yes, there's no sign of the '63 Custom being a limited run, and Gibson's new policy of having 'core models' rather than 'model years' suggests it'll be made in whatever numbers sell, for as long as it sells. Have any actually been delivered yet? I've not seen them listed in the UK.

Incidentally, I noticed their website no longer lists the black two pickup model as a limited run, nor does it mention the maple top*, and the fretboard is now listed as ebony rather than Richlite. Did they make some more to the new specifications, or is their web site just wrong?

*They do say this: "This recent Custom Shop addition takes the engine and aesthetics of the iconic Les Paul Custom and applies them to the SG platform." - perhaps the maple cap is part of the engine? :)

PermissionToLand likes this.
  4. PermissionToLand

No, the 2019 2-pickup Custom is a different model from the 2017 limited run I linked to. The 2017 LE has a Maple cap. The 2019 does not. And LP Customs were actually always full Mahogany, no Maple top, believe it or not.

Sweetwater has some of the new models, but not all:

https://www.sweetwater.com/c590--So...bIlNHIl0sIkJyYW5kIjpbIkdpYnNvbiBDdXN0b20iXX19

Also, notice they have both the 2019 2-PU Custom and a leftover 2017 LE.

SG standard likes this.
  5. SG standard

SG standard Well-Known Member

Thanks for clearing that up. So the only thing that was really limited was the maple cap/richlite combination, somehow I would've expected it to be the 2 pickup/ebony/custom combination too. I guess they sold out quickly.

And that link says a lot about Gibson's new pricing policy - MSRP up from $5,045 to $6,704, and that's without the maple cap too. :shock:

6. fierogt28

fierogt28 New Member

Yes !! This is the exact guitar...:) I assumed it was a 2019.

Is this a good quality custom SG?

Thanks,

7. PermissionToLand

Yeah, they don't always make much sense, at least with the Custom Shop. The USA line tends to be more consistent. But it was only a few years ago that you could get a 3-PU Custom with a Maetsro for the same price as that 2-PU stopbar with 490s (which BTW... what the **** is up with that? Putting their cheapest pickups in a Custom?).

Anything by the Custom Shop should be very good quality. I don't think anything Gibson makes is fundamentally bad quality, there are just some little things that slip through QC.