40 watt amp head for metal?

Discussion in 'Amps & Cabs' started by Screamingmoon, Feb 27, 2018.

1. Screamingmoon

Screamingmoon New Member

Hello,

I haven't played in a band in awhile. When I was playing out, I only ever had 100 watt tube heads. Mostly I used a 5150.

I easily has the ability with a 4x12 to be very loud in the mix and retain the dynamics of my playing. I felt very present and immediate when using this amp.

I have since moved into an apartment in a major city and I'm 40 floors in the air. Getting to my car alone is pain, with a full weight 100 watt head and a 4x12 this would be a nightmare.

Im looking at 40 watt engl amp heads and am contemplating getting a 2x12.

I know this would be loud enough for practice but I am curious if I could still retain the punch and full sound of a half stack 5150. If not, what would the differences be? I never had the 5150 past 4 no matter how big the venue.

I also don't comprehend the research I'm doing online stating it depends on the size of the venue. This makes no sense to me. If you are mic'ed in the PA what difference would it even make at this point?

Anyway, just seeking some input on obtaining a 40w amp head and a 2x12 for a full metal sound

Another question, what would be the the tonal difference between using a single 4x12 or two 2x12s? This would also be an option.

2. drown

drown Well-Known Member

Some of the tonal difference will be caused by the limitations of having 8 ohms vs 16 ohms wiring setup in the 2x12 vs 4x12 config of the cabinets.

You have the option of going with a 16 ohm 1x12 combo also which would be really portable for practice, and on the occasions when you need more you can always drive your 4x12 with it.

3. gball

gball Well-Known Member

An Engl with the right 2x12 will be just fine. By right 2x12, I mean Engl/Mesa/Bogner/Diezel/Rivera. Maybe a Marshall 1936 and possibly an Orange PPC212, but I think you'd be let down by any of the other options out there as a 4x12 replacement for playing metal. An Engl or Mesa 2x12 will thump up there with a 4x12, horizontal or vertical. (I prefer the sound of the horizontal cabs but the vertical ones are great if space is an issue)

I think you can negate a lot of venue size issues mic'ing to FOH, but there is still the question of stage volume and presence of the amp. As directional as a 4x12 can be the 2x12 is going to be a bit moreso, so while outright volume is not going to be an issue, hearing yourself through the amp might be marginally tougher. If you are using a good monitor system this may make no difference.

I've never messed around with 2 2x12's so can't comment on that vs. a 4x12, but my experience with other setups leads me to believe it would be just as good or maybe even better than the 4x12. I have a 1x12 Recto cab and it easily has as much low-end punch and detail as my 4x12, but it's obviously a bit more boxy and directional.

4. Screamingmoon

Screamingmoon New Member

Thank you,

I was actually leaning toward a Mesa 2x12 and did some additional research. I may pair this with a 1x12 isolation cab for the PA and use the 2x12 as my monitor. Hearing myself shouldn't be much of an issue because even though I play "metal" I don't jump around and prefer to stay in the back and just pay attention to what im doing.

5. Screamingmoon

Screamingmoon New Member

I just noticed your avatar. I'm writing something I'd consider to be "doom" but without that overly fuzzed sound and some folk/fantasy elements

6. Dale

Dale Well-Known Member

Mesa v35?