490's vs. Burst Bucker Pro's?

Discussion in 'Pickups' started by SGSlidedawg, Dec 22, 2004.

1. SGSlidedawg

SGSlidedawg New Member

Hi All,

I have a question relating to the 490 pickup's that came with my SG Standard. I'm looking into swapping them out with the Burst Bucker Pros. Has anyone here installed them on their SG's? Can you make a comparison on the two. I don't want to go out and spend $200 on something I'm not going to like. Course, I could take them back... Any input would be great! Thanks!

Ed

Eseffens@adelphia.net

2. Sgmaniac

Sgmaniac Guest

3. CharlieB

CharlieB Active Member

From what I can see.....

The 490's are pretty hotter wound 57 Classics - both have Alnico II magnets, both have "maple" spacers... pretty much made the same, but the 490's have more mids, a bit louder, and less treble.... this is all signs of being just wound more. Ok, so lets establish that the 490s are Alnico II, have thicker mids than the 57's and a bit less treble. The 498 is Alnico V and has more treble and greater output than the 490, more upper mids too. All of these pickups have matched (more or less) coils... which tends to supress upper mids a bit, and also supress the high end a bit.

The BB series, I, II and III are progressively wound hotter... but all are Alnico II and have mismatched coils. THe BB II is a bit hotter than the 57.. just tad, and brighter too. The BB I is a bit less hot than a 57 and fairly bright (fewer windings, mismatched coils.... make it the brightest of the bunch). The BB III is hotter, a bit darker than the I or II but not too much due to the mis-matched coils.

The BB Pro is a BB III with Alnico which makes it brighter than the BB III and also hotter. It also has mismatched coils... with the Alnico V ofsetting the darkening of the extra turns of wire.

Ok sooo the BB Pro ought to be hotter than a 490, probably about as hot as a 498 or so...(without looking at the chart) and basically have that scooped mids sound, and a fairly bright top end.

Ok, here's the chart....

[​IMG]

4. Sgmaniac

Sgmaniac Guest

Good job CB! 8)

5. SGSlidedawg

SGSlidedawg New Member

Thanks guys!

Hey just wanted to let you all know that I went ahead and purchased the Burstbucker pros and installed them last night. Wow! What a nice difference! I set my guitar up for slide and that's all I use the guitar for. I'm now thinking about geting another SG Standard and put some Burstbucker pros on it for lead work. What a very smooth sound! And yes, it is hotter than the stock pickups. Very pleased with the sound! Thanks for your input.

Ed

6. Six String

Six String Moderator Staff Member

Hey, Welcome to ETSG, SGSlidedawg!

Cool chart CB. It gives a good perspective...

7. calibre2001

calibre2001 New Member

Hey slidedawg

Can you get a better clean tone (assuming you use a tube amp) than the 490R and 498T? I'm interested in switching mine too.

8. Voxman

Voxman Moderator Staff Member

Welcome slidedawg and calibre2001.....that chart needs to be in a reference section!

9. skidshark

skidshark Active Member

welcome slide and cal! you came to the right place! :D

10. Tripower455

Tripower455 Member

I have a set of 490/498 in my Epi LP, and a set of BB Pro in my Gibby LP standard, and I find it difficult to get good "dirty" tone out of my amps (TM-10, Traynor YCV20WR and Marwatt) with the BBP's, whereas with the 490/498, it's plug and play, without constantly messing with the amp.

I've played with the pickup and polepiece height and still am not happy with the overall sound. Kind of muddy when the amps are pushed. Clean is pretty (OK REALLY!) good, especially with the neck pickup. When I play it through my Pandora or GuitarPort, they sound good, so I don't know what's up with them. I'll keep on playing with them.

Keep in mind that my experience with them is in an LP, and an SG is a different beast altogether!

Maybe I just need a JTM45 or AC-30 to make these things sing? ;)

FWIW, The Traynor sounds best of the 3 amps with the BBPs, on the lead channel. I can also get some pretty good Marshally tone through the TM-10. It'll sound good while I'm playing the LP, until I switch to my R4 or P-90 SG, then it sounds GREAT.

All 3 amps sound awesome with P-90s though, dirty, clean whatever. Maybe I'm just a P-90 kind of guy!!!!!!

11. skidshark

skidshark Active Member

here..here!!(clink) :D

12. rocknme

rocknme Member

I can't compare because I have the BBs in my Les Paul Standard and the 490/498 in my SG Standard. Both guitars sound great as is. I'm guessing that the BBs have slightly more treble and are clearer, but I couldn't say for sure the difference wasn't the guitars. I mostly use my SG on the bridge pickup setting and I get a great classic rock type distorted sound out of the 498.

13. calibre2001

calibre2001 New Member

Thanks all!

Well the reason I'm considering a switch is that I want a nice clean sound. With the 490s its hard to get a good one on a tube amp. It can be done on a SS amp though and oh boy does it shine. Maybe I should just retain it as it is? geez...