'57 Classic Plus

Discussion in 'Pickups' started by gone_postalXXI, Jun 24, 2005.

1. gone_postalXXI

gone_postalXXI Member

have any of you tried the '57 Classic Plus? i'm thinking about putting one in the standard. lemme know if they're any good

2. TNT

TNT Active Member

Great Blues pup! They come standard in the '61 RI bridge position. If a guit shop has one around flip the switch to rhythm and see if they fit your style. 8)

3. CharlieB

CharlieB Active Member

It used to be, dunno if its changed, that the 61RI had 57 Classics in both positions, no "plus". Its a good pickup tho...just a bit hotter and warmer than the 57 Classic.

4. TNT

TNT Active Member

You are right CB! Even though my RI sounds good I feel I got ripped.I thought that the plus was stock in the '61 bridge. :? Neck is 7.65 ohms and Bridge is 7.74 ohms.

8) I'll live...

5. gone_postalXXI

gone_postalXXI Member

dumb question, are they good for playing stuff like say, zeppelin and ac/dc thru a laney 100 watt amp?

6. TNT

TNT Active Member

As far as AC/DC is concerned, Angus used stock or basically stock pups in his guitars (at least in the early days) so I would say sure! As far as Jimmy Page, well he seemed to hot rod everything so who knows?You could try them!

7. gone_postalXXI

gone_postalXXI Member

oh yea, do they have a good clean sound? can i get any feed back with it w/o a distortion pedal?

8. SG_Supreme

SG_Supreme Member

I "had" one in my bridge position in my Gibson LP but ended up taking it back out and replacing it with a Seymour Duncan JB Model.
    Nothing wrong with the pup, but I just couldn't get enough "raunch" out of it to my liking.
    The 57 seems suited well for Blues and Classic Rock ( and that's about it )
    If you like to play more agressive Rock with a bit of Metal thrown in the mix, then keep searching.
    I chose the JB as it has more punch while at the same time keeping it's endless sustain and clarity.
    I like to hear what I'm playing...  8)