'57 Classic vs 490T / 490R

Discussion in 'Tone Zone' started by ChasFred, Oct 22, 2016.

1. pedecamp

pedecamp Active Member

BB1 and BB2 are some of my favorite pickups I have an LP with them so I got a pair for my SG and they just didn't sound as good in the SG as my LP. Go figure...

2. pedecamp

pedecamp Active Member

I did try 498T and it was too hot to my ears, I guess I just like vintage powered pickups like the 57C&C+ and BB1&2.

3. Bettyboo

Bettyboo Well-Known Member

^ they're are all great pups, just different flavours. You can't really go wrong with the current Gibson pickup range, and if you shop around then the prices are fine too.

rotorhead likes this.
  4. ivan H

ivan H Well-Known Member

My 2012 LP traditional came with 57C/57C+. I swapped the BB's from my SG into the LP & the 57's into the SG. I agree that the BB are better suited to the LP also. The BB's seem brighter & I like the way they raunch. FWIW, I've read somewhere that Jimmy Page likes the BB 1 & 2 in his LP's. Cheers

pedecamp likes this.
  5. Robert Herndon

Robert Herndon Well-Known Member

I like the 490's because I prefer the 7.7k ohm pickups from the 60's...for the same reason I like Angus' old tone from Pre-1980....

6. ivan H

ivan H Well-Known Member

I also prefer Angus' early tone, which would be a T top (he only uses the bridge p'up). A 490r with the magnet changed to a short (2 1/4") A5 is (apparently), pretty well a T top. Cheers

Robert Herndon likes this.
  7. SGHeffe213

SGHeffe213 New Member

Reviving an old thread, please forgive me, I currently own a 2017 SG Standard w/ the 57 classic and 57 classic plus. The tone is to die for! I also have a backup of the original SGJ, I did do the removal of the plastic covers and added the baseplates years ago so they would just be open coil 490's, however they are just a bit dark, Is there a Magnet swap to get closer to the 57's?

I don't hate the 490's, would just like then to get a little less warm, Thinking an A5 in the bridge and an A3 in the neck. Also ordered an A4 for fun, thoughts?

8. cheshiergrin

cheshiergrin Active Member

Woke up the zombie :ohno:.
    I have done a lot, lot of pickup swapping. Everything has its place, some pickups just work better in some individual guitars than others. And sound better with specific eq settings. So there is no right or wrong answer IMO.

9. SGHeffe213

SGHeffe213 New Member

Haha yeah I know,
    I too have in the past, just trying something new (magnet swap), inexpensive so why not? Thought maybe someone here might have some insight on what to expect... (since I am waiting on the magnets to show up, just excited)

cheshiergrin likes this.
  10. cheshiergrin

cheshiergrin Active Member

Well I have swapped a few magnets and found it to be a great way to change the character of a pickup, the A5 in the bridge should liven it up and give it some sparkle, and the A3 in the neck will be interesting I have a set of A3 strat pups that I like. Let us know how it works out.

11. AngelDeVille

AngelDeVille Well-Known Member

I like the 57's,

I got a pedal in a bag somewhere if I need it crunchy.

Ohh and my amp has knobs too...

Logan likes this.
  12. SGHeffe213

SGHeffe213 New Member

Absolutely.

I too have some A3 fender pickups in a strat build I am doing, the deluxe drive set, they are awesome. I ended up putting a dimarzio fred in the bridge though, now I have the best of both worlds in one guitar.

13. SGHeffe213

SGHeffe213 New Member

LOVE the 57's as well! they are the perfect pickup for as far as I am concerned.

Logan likes this.
  14. Semla

Semla New Member

I have tried that exact combination (unoriented A5 which is a bit weaker than a roughcut A5 and even weaker than a polished A4) in a Les Paul and it did not work out well. The A3 is actually even weaker than an A2 and it was completely unbalanced. The A3 in the neck also made the bass strings so muddy that everything went very jazzy. The neck needs sparkle! I would recommend A4 or A5 in the neck. The three different A5 types are also a bitt different. The roughcut and even more so the unoriented A5 gives a tad bit less sharp treble, and a bit more sparkle in the upper mid/treble. I think the SG, as how it is constructed and how it sounds, should have some kind of A5.

SGHeffe213 likes this.
  15. rotorhead

rotorhead Well-Known Member

I love the 57s. Everything else causes neck dive. To fix that, I move the neck 490 and route it up to the horn.

Col Mustard and AngelDeVille like this.
  16. ydrive

ydrive Member

Awe man... almost wishing I hadn't read all this. I'm happy with the 490s in my 2017 Special T with an over drive or distortion pedal and my Fender X2 Champ, but it loses out to any one of my Fraken-Teles or Strats for clean tones. I realize I'm comparing double humbuckers to single coils, but now I'm wanting to swap the 490s for 57s for a crisper clean sound, and thinking the 57's may be a little more versatile as well. Too much tweakn on my guitars and not enough playing...

17. Col Mustard

Col Mustard Well-Known Member

I too am a fan of the '57 Classic and Classic plus. I don't think there's much difference between the 490R
    and the '57 Classic... But the Classic Plus is my favorite pickup, and I like it better than the 490T that came
    stock on my first SG.

To my ear, through my amps and pedals, the '57 set is the best... clear and musical in both bridge and neck positions. Lovely cleans when rolled back a bit, but they work well with pedals and a decent overdrive
    give all the crunch I need for my style.

I agree with the idea of playing the stock p'ups for a good long time, in order to get acquainted with what they can do. Then change them if you must, but only after understanding what you actually have in your
    hands. I regard the '57s as the best, so that most any other substitution is a downgrade.
    Just my opinion, and I'm sure there are lots of stylists who would disagree, and that's fine.