57 Classics in Epi 339?

Discussion in 'Other Guitars' started by Paul G., Oct 9, 2017.

1. Paul G.

Paul G. Well-Known Member

The .047s just get too muffled, too quickly to me.

For P90s they're considered acceptable, but I prefer smaller caps, with 500k pots they give a wider usable sweep.

.022 for P90s or Buggles. I like a .016 for the neck pickup of humbuckers, .022 for P90s.

2. Col Mustard

Col Mustard Well-Known Member

Thanks guys, that's all fascinating stuff. I just never really paid attention to P-90 p'ups until recently. Now I'm making some good music with them. I'm not changing anything right now, just storing the knowledge you shared. I'll likely leave the caps alone, because I don't think my
    guitar sounds woofie at all.

I've been playing my ES-339 a lot, and listening a lot. And then picking up a HB guitar from an adjacent stand and playing the same thing. I enjoy doing this. I can't say one set of p'ups sounds better than the other, they are different in many ways. Highs, mids, lows, its all highs, mids and lows. How they get there is different, but they all get there.

So I'm concluding that P-90s are good for some songs, and Humbuckers for another. Like duh... But thanks for this thread, did you look at what the original wiring harness had? Was it CTS pots and .015 and .022 caps?

The way I fell in love with the ES-339 was by playing one at a guitar store. It had hum buckers and sounded great stock IMHO. I played it through a Fender G-DEC first, and then through an Orange Micro Terror,
    and it sounded killer right there in the store. Go Epiphone!

Raiyn likes this.
  3. Raiyn

Raiyn Well-Known Member

Go Epiphone indeed!

If it sounds good, it is good and if you dig it, that's all that matters.

"Multiple studies" bear this out. :p

4. SG standard

SG standard Well-Known Member

I've been doing this a lot this year - switching between my Yamaha with P90s, and an SG, or either of those and a Reverend with Railhammers. Seems like the more I do this, the less certain I become about the results! I'm beginning to feel that you can just settle on any combination of 'decent' pickup and amp, work at the sound they're producing, and get something great out of it.

I'm increasingly puzzled as to how so many folks will categorically say that one pickup (or whatever) sounds better than another, especially when it comes to parts like bridges, or fingerboard materials.

Maybe I'm just not decisive enough.... I dunno, can't make my mind up on that one either.

5. Raiyn

Raiyn Well-Known Member

I dunno about small upgrades, but swapping out the harness and pickups in my G400 made a massive difference in the character and sounds she made - for the better. Other than possibly swapping out the buzzing stock bridge, nothing else has made a huge difference.

6. Col Mustard

Col Mustard Well-Known Member

+1 on this. I believe that guitarists in general are too willing to settle for a narrow point
    of view, and then oversimplify that. (and maybe it's not only guitarists)... I tend not to hang out on bass fora, or acoustic fora... acoustic players might be the worst in this respect. Or Telecaster nuts. Or maybe Les Paul Guys...

IMHO a closed mind is a severe handicap. It can be a crippling handicap if indulged too
    lavishly. So I say +1 on SG Standard's post, because it's more like a springboard and less
    like a ball & chain. If we start where SG Standard starts, there is no limit to where we can go
    except our own ability, and that can improve. It's not about the pickups (given decent quality), it's not about whether the finish is lacquer or poly, it's not about the neck shape... It's about what we can do with these things, given good strings, good setup, good pick dynamics, good amp, and of course
    a good song. All the above can be worked on, and steered if not controlled.

I like to think of almost all pickups as accurate. I believe that the engineers who designed them
    all had that as their goal. Epiphone sells guitars world wide, to literally millions of players in
    different places, whose idea of good music varies widely. Epiphone would be silly to restrict their pickup designs to what might be popular in only one place (and time). So would Gibson or Fender or PRS or what. Therefore the p'ups have to be accurate, and let the guitarist/stylist do the rest.

The Quest for Tone. That's what many of us are on, and why we come to a place like this.
    I've found more open minded members on this SG forum than anywhere else. And I like that.
    I like discussing tone with open minded individuals and/or musicians. If everyone (but me)
    agreed that to get the ideal rock tone you simply plug ye Les Paul into Ye Marshall, what a
    boring world we would live in. And I would get stoned... (biblically or literally or both).

That's why I keep returning to this thread. I love the concept of putting Gibson p'ups in
    an Epiphone guitar. I've done it twice with excellent results, and am fascinated to hear
    others' experience in this arena. (cue up the Gladiator theme)... To me, Epi guitars used
    to be something to scoff about, but they keep getting better. And we're all richer for it, if
    we value the open mind.

Voxman, Paul G., Raiyn and 1 other person like this.