60’s SG identification help

Discussion in 'Vintage SG' started by luckystrike, Aug 24, 2018.

1. luckystrike

luckystrike New Member

Hi everyone

I've just joined the forum, happy to be onboard!
    I was hoping someone could identify this 1960’s SG as it's of a spec that I haven't seen before.
    I don't have the serial number at present but what strikes me as strange is the dot inlays mixed with neck and headstock binding. Looks like a standard with a custom or special neck. I know that it has been refinished in white and was originally cherry red, also that it was from the 60’s. Many thanks!

[​IMG][​IMG]

syscokid likes this.
  2. luckystrike

luckystrike New Member

3. cerebral gasket

cerebral gasket Well-Known Member

Welcome!

That appears to be a 1973 SG Special because of the bound neck with dots that include the first fret. The wider headstock is also typical of 1970's.

My theory is that someone changed the mini humbuckers to full humbuckers and converted to a batwing to hide the routing. This one also would have a Harmonica bridge as stock and looks to be converted to an ABR-1. The white outline on the headstock could be binding that was added or maybe it was painted to look like binding.

https://www.gbase.com/gear/gibson-sg-special-1973-cherry

Last edited: Aug 24, 2018
  4. luckystrike

luckystrike New Member

Thankyou so much, that’s really helpful! I’m now on the look out for an SG special to convert. Be interesting to know if anyone has one for sale on this forum

cerebral gasket likes this.
  5. PermissionToLand

PermissionToLand Well-Known Member

Wow, you really pulled that one out of nowhere! I'd be curious to see more high quality pictures of this guitar.

6. luckystrike

luckystrike New Member

[​IMG]
    Here is another pic. It does indeed seem to be a modified 73 special, except the neck binding looks much fuller than than the thin black/white binding seen on 73 special pics.

7. PermissionToLand

Indeed, and the black layer would be on the outside. But if he got binding added to the headstock, redoing the neck is believable. It should also have a harmonica bridge. I'm not sure but it looks like the red version still had it. He would have had to plug and redrill the holes while refinishing in order to angle the ABR because Harmonicas are not angled. It's also strange that he seems to have had the binding done before refinishing.

Also just weird to do all this to a relatively cheap guitar. Adding binding to an existing guitar is no small thing.

cerebral gasket and luckystrike like this.
  8. luckystrike

luckystrike New Member

9. PermissionToLand

Yeah, late '72 or early '73. Neat guitar!

10. luckystrike

luckystrike New Member

I don't want to give up on this...
    Thanks to the help of people on this forum, I'm getting nearer and nearer but I still think that there might have been a model with this spec between 69-74 that wasn't a customised job.

i.e.

1. Full white binding on the neck and headstock (not the black/white 73 binding)
    2. Large headstock
    3. Dot inlays with dot on the first fret
    4. Twin humbuckers, batwing pickguard

The nearest looking guitar I've found is a 69 special pictured below, but that didn't have the dot on the first fret mark or the 70's headstock

[​IMG]

11. syscokid

syscokid Well-Known Member

Any chance that any or all of the pots are original? More pics, pretty please... :fingersx:

12. luckystrike

luckystrike New Member

Some video links here that show it. This is a comedy band and not to be taken literally or seriously

13. PermissionToLand

No, there simply was not such a model. And the 69 above does not have a bound headstock, it just looks like it because the paint is chipped away at the edges. Also, the neck is set in further, at the 22nd fret on the white SG, which only started in 1972 after the Batwing was discontinued.

Cerebral gasket got it right, with 100% certainty.

luckystrike and cerebral gasket like this.
  14. cerebral gasket

cerebral gasket Well-Known Member

SG Specials are my favorite. I have never seen one with headstock binding before. If you want something to get you closer than that '69 SG Special and less expensive, a used SG Classic will get you there as it already has a tune-o-matic bridge and tailpiece. The recent ones have a Nashville bridge and the earlier ones have the ABR-1. You could change the P-90's to humbuckers. Good luck with the first fret dot and headstock binding.

Pictured below is my 2004 SG Classic.

[​IMG]

luckystrike likes this.
  15. luckystrike

luckystrike New Member

Thanks everyone, so helpful!

cerebral gasket likes this.