60s sg

Discussion in 'SG Copies' started by HarryWilsonS, May 8, 2018.

1. HarryWilsonS

HarryWilsonS New Member

Hey can anyone help me out I've found this 60s sg which appears to be an exact copy of a 68 sg special and I was wondering if someone could help me find out what make this is

Attached Files:

2. cerebral gasket

cerebral gasket Well-Known Member

Why do you think it is an exact copy of a 1968 SG Special?

3. HarryWilsonS

HarryWilsonS New Member

Just because with the exception of the fret board inlays the layout body shape and scratch plate are identical to this one

4. cerebral gasket

5. HarryWilsonS

HarryWilsonS New Member

Not of the softail Gibson of the hard tail 68 sg special as the photos I added and thanks for the quick reply

Attached Files:

6. HarryWilsonS

HarryWilsonS New Member

My only guess is that the one I've found is a jedson sg as it shares the same body shape and scratch plate and positions of the switch and pots of jedson sg basses from the 60s but as far as I was aware jedson never made any 6 string sg guitars

7. cerebral gasket

Now I see why you assumed it was a 1968 SG Special copy.

I did a search for Jedson SG and arrived at the same photos you posted above with it being mislabeled as a 1968 SG Special. The late 1960's SG had a batwing (full face scratch plate), not the half scratch plate.

1961-1965: half scratch plate
    1966-1970: batwing (full face scratch plate)

All SG Specials from the 1960's had bound necks with dots, two P-90's, two volume controls, two tone controls, three-way selector switch. NO crown inlay on headstock.

Last edited: May 8, 2018
  8. HarryWilsonS

HarryWilsonS New Member

Okay so what do you think this sg I've found is then as I can't find any information on one that shaped it's not a pearl I don't think unless it's a real early one as my oldan has a mid to late 60s pearl but that is four pot batwing so any thoughts on this one mate

9. cerebral gasket

By the looks of the scratch plate shape and selector switch location, deep set neck, Made in Japan on bolt-on neck plate, perhaps an old Japanese Sumbro copy?

10. HarryWilsonS

HarryWilsonS New Member

Right well are they a good make from the Japanese makers I've had a few of them and a vox shadow the vox was by far the best but that was UK built but once I'd set all of my Japanese ones up right they played great so do sumbro guitars play good and do they hold any real value

11. HarryWilsonS

HarryWilsonS New Member

It may be a sumbro by the look of a few of there early hardtail starts

12. cerebral gasket

13. HarryWilsonS

HarryWilsonS New Member

Aye I think that maybe someone has added the softail to her as it looks to me like it has came off a key or teisco softail to me but said as a softail and up and playing good and cleaned up what would you say something like this would be worth then and in the condition it's in don't have much of a guide on the smaller Japanese sgs and thanks for the advice mate

14. cerebral gasket

I don't have a clue as to how much a Barn Find is worth. Something is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it.

15. HarryWilsonS

HarryWilsonS New Member

Trust me I know that but say when I was finished with it with a set of 8s in tone super low action pots and wiring and the paint got cleaned up not fix just a very soft rub with 5 or 7k grit sandpaper and a Polish and what would pay then for yourself and I know that something is only worth what someone will pay I know that mate but cheers for all this mate finally found a good guitar forum so thanks I'll let you know if I get it also you wouldn't happen to know anywhere that I could get the tail peice for my vox shadow or atheist the roller rod as I'm need one but due to the fact that vox used a unique bridge and tailpeice all in one set up not one person or store has one just one gut who could make one but even if you know a guy who could fix it that'd be great.

16. cerebral gasket

Difficult to say on how much to pay for that SG copy. I have paid a little more than I wanted for some guitars, but to me they are worth having.

Not sure about the roller rod on the Vox. Maybe a machine shop in your area could fabricate the part for you. It might be expensive, but they know you need it.

17. HarryWilsonS

HarryWilsonS New Member

Yeah I know I cam get one made just it's the cost. It's not even like I can't do it myself I just don't have the told to do it well if you know anyone who's breaking or has a vox shadow any model in parts or with a fucked neck or body I'd be interested in it to get the part I need and it'll give me a few spares

18. JazzyJeff

JazzyJeff Member

The vibrato and base for the bridge are MIJ tiesco. That covers a good dozen brands. At any rate, it's a MIJ 70's maybe early 80's, my best guess. Also zero fret, bolt on plate. All of the "Conrad" and like makes style. If you are looking for a price, Since it is missing stuff, 100 to 180. I wouldn't throw much more at it. It appears the headstock was reshaped, so if it had any collector value, it is gone.

PermissionToLand likes this.