61 proprietary reissue. Can I shake it?

Discussion in 'Gibson SG' started by NoOrangeJuice, Jan 9, 2018.

1. Raiyn

Raiyn Well-Known Member

Ain't the first time, won't be the last.

2. Norlin SG

Norlin SG Active Member

Ya, everyone should have a Strat as well. A true working mans guitar. I have an 88 and removed that ridiculousness Tilt-o-matic nonsense and have 100% contact between the neck and the body and left the bridge floating even though I don't even have the whammy bar handle.

I would say that playing unplugged it's really a toss between the SG and the Strat as to which one has more sustain. I think the 100% neck to body contact really makes a difference and if I had to shim, I would use these: http://www.stewmac.com/Materials_an...itar_Necks/StewMac_Neck_Shims_for_Guitar.html

NoOrangeJuice, syscokid and rotorhead like this.
  3. PermissionToLand

PermissionToLand Well-Known Member

... what? The best I can parse out your point is to say that the Les Paul Special is not a Les Paul because it is the "Special" variant? But a Les Paul Standard is only a variant as well. It only happens to be called the "Standard" variant because it was the mid-priced offering, nothing more.

What you consider a "plain old Les Paul" is entirely arbitrary and made up by you. Maybe Ted McCarty would call a Junior the definitive "plain old Les Paul" because it's the most plain and stripped down, basic variant. Only the basics of what makes a Les Paul a Les Paul. Maybe Les Paul himself would call a '53 Standard the definitive Les Paul because it's closest to his vision and the original model.

IDK why you are so insistent on your opinion being some kind of rule to judge how "real" any Les Paul is. It's quite arrogant and insulting to anyone who owns any other Les Pauls.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2018
    cerebral gasket and rotorhead like this.
  4. rotorhead

rotorhead Active Member

But...Les Paul...nvmd :cool:

5. NoOrangeJuice

NoOrangeJuice New Member

My whole point centered around Biddlin posting a variety of les pauls that were not standard les pauls as proof that a les paul is not overpriced. Its misleading and stupid to say that a les paul studio / x model is proof that les pauls are not overpriced.

6. PermissionToLand

PermissionToLand Well-Known Member

Not in the comment I quoted...

7. NoOrangeJuice

NoOrangeJuice New Member

The same point in the comment you quoted. When I'm talking about the overpriced nature of a les paul, a les paul junior would not be evidence that it is not because a les paul junior is a les paul junior. Les paul juniors are overpriced though.

8. rotorhead

rotorhead Active Member

I dont consider any of them as overpriced, I just consider most of them too expensive for what I'm willing to pay.

9. NoOrangeJuice

NoOrangeJuice New Member

That is true.

10. Raiyn

Raiyn Well-Known Member

That's why there's Epiphone. :D

You can trick them out to your heart's content and the 'sniffers leave you alone.

PermissionToLand and rotorhead like this.
  11. VetPsychWars

VetPsychWars Member

It is what it was named in the catalog. Anything else is made-up junk (not the word I was thinking, but it will do).

I like catalogs. It gives you a demarkation point so that your digression has a purpose!

(I ain't shittin' you on this one.)

Tom

12. Norlin SG

Norlin SG Active Member

There is no such thing as a "run of the mill" Les Paul. Same reason you generally don't see A picture on a headstone. Your memory of a departed love one is an amalgamation of your memories of that person and not a specific snapshot in time.

We like to say that with any guitar you should play several to find "the one". In any trim level or sub model of a Paul there are gems and there are clunkers and a bunch of different price points. So really using the term "Les Paul" covers a crap ton of ground. Even the lowly SG started life as a Lester.

PermissionToLand and rotorhead like this.
  13. Bob Womack

Bob Womack Member

To the OP: You've got a lovely guitar there. Sweetwater and Dave's went in on this special edition. From what I can tell, Sweetwater had the ebony ones and Dave's had the Heritage Cherry ones. And yes, you can get your vibrasto by gently shaking the guitar. It's been done for decades. Here's my cherry one from Daves:

[​IMG]

Bob

14. NoOrangeJuice

NoOrangeJuice New Member

I agree with you completely, I wasn't knocking Biddlins guitars. I said the USA line les pauls hadn't been for me, and maybe I just haven't played "the one" that is for me out there. I'll admit my "thats not a les paul" statement was intended to be inflammatory because the guy was being a dick right from the get go. In reality I probably should have said "Thats a les paul X and not what I'm talking about" and I might not have started this whole shitstorm.

With your first statement I would disagree, plenty of people have an idea of what a run of the mill les paul is. But it is arbitrary.

15. Logan

Logan Well-Known Member

That's Biddlin for ya.
    I don't think anyone disagrees with you there. Now, let's all try to move past this and never bring this up again, K?

Beautiful SG you got there, man!

16. NoOrangeJuice

NoOrangeJuice New Member

Agreed

rotorhead likes this.
  17. guidothepimmp

guidothepimmp Active Member

yeh yeh, just remember, if you shake it more than twice, then youre playing with it...

...errr.. nevermind

18. Raiyn

Raiyn Well-Known Member

Agreed.

19. Dave

Dave Well-Known Member

Awesome guitar. Congrats.

BTW, I own two Les Pauls and they sound completely different from each other.

rotorhead and NoOrangeJuice like this.
  20. rotorhead

rotorhead Active Member

Lies!

Just kidding :)

Dave likes this.