'61 Reissue Wiki page finished!

Discussion in 'Gibson SG' started by PermissionToLand, Feb 12, 2019.

1. arcticsg

arcticsg Well-Known Member

The horns on the GC Jrs do look good! :D

[​IMG]

Norton, syscokid and PermissionToLand like this.
  2. PermissionToLand

PermissionToLand Well-Known Member

I'll say it again; I love the GC Jr. It is probably the most intriguing take on an SG in 20 years. Who would have ever thought to put 3 P90s on an SG? It's a little bit of all the best SGs; 3 pickups from the Custom, binding and trapezoids from the Standard and P90s from the Special.

arcticsg likes this.
  3. arcticsg

arcticsg Well-Known Member

Agreed! And to top it off, they went with the short neck tenon, ABR-1, and the use of real MOP for the trapezoids. I like it! Almost wish they had used the tradition tuners, but hey, I'm not complaining:)

PermissionToLand likes this.
  4. pancake81

pancake81 Well-Known Member

I have 3 SG’s, but my 61 reissue is the only one with deep carves.

My custom and custom shop are just.... normal

5. syscokid

syscokid Well-Known Member

Awesome job you're doing with your SG Wiki presentations... :cheers:

6. cerebral gasket

cerebral gasket Well-Known Member

arcticsg and PermissionToLand like this.
  7. syscokid

8. papagayo

papagayo Well-Known Member

SG 62 Ri on the top,

[​IMG]

SG 61 Ri horns are different, pickguards are not the same; Pictures of the sides should be interesting.

syscokid, PermissionToLand and bwotw like this.
  9. Dale

Dale Well-Known Member

The neck pickup is also tight to the neck putting it very close the a traditional LP placement, like the 70's (as I recall).

10. PermissionToLand

That's because it has 24 frets, so actually the placement along the entirety of the scale length is the same.

syscokid and Dale like this.
  11. Dale

Dale Well-Known Member

Wow! Somehow I never noticed that at all.

12. Jaco P.

Jaco P. New Member

Hi guys (& gals),

I have this 2016 '61 Reissue "Limited Proprietary Run"..
    When changing pickups I managed to fry neck volume pot..yeah I know..dont ask..
    When searching for replacement I've found out on multiple sites that Gibson should be using 300k Gibson pots for volume.
    But now when I've taken this bad pot out of the guitar I've seen that the pot in fact is CTS (although on the back of the pot there is a Gibson logo but inside there is small CTS sign printed) with serial printed 440-70035 1530.
    After searching this serial I found out that it should be a 500k. So now I am kinda confused.
    So, based on this serial number can you confirm that I already have 500k volume pots?
    I wanted to upgrade the stock pots to 500k CTS but I guess these are already installed..(well one still is).
    On this Wiki page there is also mentioned that 300k should be installed in this 2016 61 limited but I guess this is not true. Can someone confirm the same?
    Thanks.

13. cerebral gasket

Welcome!

Use your ears.
    What I mean is that 500K pots are not always an "upgrade" and can make some pickups sound shrill. I personally favor the 300K pots that are stock in many SG. It's a matter of personal preference.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2019
  14. syscokid

Hopefully you have access to a meter but, what does the other volume pot measure at?

15. Jaco P.

Jaco P. New Member

> Use your ears.
    Yeah..that is the proper way.
    But I’m really not a guy who likes or tries 100s of options. I am more set it and leave it..
    So I only wish to fix the problem with the best (theoretical) option. :)

> What I mean is that 500K pots are not always an "upgrade" and can make some pickups sound shrill. I personally favor the 300K pots that are stock in many SG
    Exactly this is “issue” for me...pots should be 300k but it seem that they are 500k (and are definitely produced by CTS) based on serial number written above.

When measuring resistance should I desolder the pot or can I measure it directly on the guitar?
    With my multimeter somehow I am not able to measure the resistance ..the Ohm reading just does not settle to an exact number but is constantly changing when I put it on “2M mode”... now option is that the multimeter is not functioning or even better I do not know how to make a proper reading with it.

16. cerebral gasket

Yes, the pot will need to be removed from the circuit. Set the range on the meter higher than expected value. 2M (2 megaohms) should be sufficient.

https://www.instructables.com/id/How-to-measure-resistance-of-a-Potentiometer/

17. PermissionToLand

So, since Gibson never released any detailed official specs for the Proprietary RI (that I can find, anyway), I figured it would be safe to assume they were the same as what the '61 RI used for many years. I try to avoid making assumptions like that though, most of the time. I will change the specs. Thank you for the information!

Well, simply put, higher value pots create a brighter, more trebley tone, while lower value pots create a darker, more bassy tone. Personally, I would have 500k pots in a '61 RI because '57 Classics are Alinco II, which has a darker tone to begin with.

cerebral gasket likes this.
  18. Jaco P.

Jaco P. New Member

Well, do not take my word for granted. I assumed this only by searching that serial (440-70035 1530) printed on the pot.
    Best bet would be to take the other (bridge volume) pot out (which I am not really keen on doing) and measure it..

I guess I'll just buy a new 500k pot.. since it is neck pickup which always sounded quite dark for my ears.
    I've also just changed (when I successfully managed to fry the neck volume pot.. :/ ) 57s for a set of Wizz PAF clones which do sound a little brighter.

I guess THIS pot is ok, right?

Last edited: Mar 11, 2019
  19. Jaco P.

Jaco P. New Member

PermissionToLand and syscokid like this.
  20. syscokid

That seems to be an exact replacement, as you say. The last 4 digits of the pot's part number is the date code. "1530": 2015, 30th week.