61 vs 62 reissue.

Discussion in 'Gibson SG' started by Dave, Feb 21, 2012.

1. Dave

Dave Well-Known Member

I know the 62 reissue came out in the mid 80s.
    I didn't see it listed under the information on the SG models on the home page.

Anybody know the difference between the older 62 reissues and the newer/current 61 reissues?
    What years were they made?

2. dbb

dbb Well-Known Member

Yes, the 62 was a killer guitar and the 2nd SG I should have kept....but didn't for some dumb reason. :dunno: I bought it in New Orleans and sold it when I moved to CA in the early 90's.

I'll try to find pics.

3. Dave

Dave Well-Known Member

Do you know what year the stopped making the 62 reissue & started the 61 reissue.
    How can I tell the difference.

4. dbb

dbb Well-Known Member

Form our own TatooedCarrot on the MLP forum:
    "Most consider those 62's from the 80's to be superior to current production 61RI's. They have a slightly larger neck (still 60's, just not as flat) and a different neck joint, much closer in specs to the current Historic SG/Les Paul reissues."

Gibson SG 62 reissue? [Archive] - The Gear Page

"They were called '62 reissues when they first came out in 1986-the '61 tag came about sometime in the early 90's,IIRC.I've got an '86 SG Custom R/I '62 which is a great guitar all around,and the first new Gibson that I ever bought!If it's in really good shape and plays and sounds great,$1300 should be fair for that one.

I have owned a couple of these- 86 and 88 models-and worked at Gibson in Whitewood Machine during the transition to the 61 reissue in 90. The older 62 reissue is probably the closest to a real early SG/LP as can be bought without actually buying the real item (and I have owned over a dozen originals throughout the years.

During the late 80's early 90's we responded to market demand for thinner faster necks with the 60's style neck carve, simultaneously applying that carve to the SG reissue, 335 dot reissue, Firebird V, and the guitar that prominently advertised the feature, the Les Paul Classic.

Sales and longevity of this carve prove out the market's demand, as the 60's carve is still in use, while the standard "59 carve" (a term applied to basically everything that is not a fatter 50's or slimmer 60's style,) has waned somewhat. For several years all carves were that standard "falls in the middle" shape. At the time the market demanded that, now it is more variegated, with different sizes and shapes making it easier to pinpoint customer needs.

That all said, I prefer the old "middle of the road" carve and prefer the 62 reissue to the 61. As to pickups, my 86 had "circuit board" PAF's and the 88 had regular patent stamped alnico humbuckers. The 88 was traded off long ago-the 86 now has a pair of Antiquities, a neck heel repair, refret,and could pass for a real well played 62. It has been residing with my Cousin Kenneth since I gave it to him for Xmas in 03. He loves it."

"The Gibson Custom Shop did a run of '62 RI's for GC (yes, GC) in 2006-07. "

5. Moose

Moose Well-Known Member

Is the GC guitar similar to the 80s '62 reissue?

And where do the customer shop necks fit in?

6. Tim Fezziwig

Tim Fezziwig Member

I own an 86. I LOVE it. The neck feels REALLY good. I replaced my bridge with an Iommi. Pure tone. I have it split. My Sg is ALWAYS trying to knock off my Lp's.I Highly recommend trying to find an '86 '62. I'm always smiling when I'm playing it. What a GREAT Sg!

7. Dave

Dave Well-Known Member

Thanks for the replies.
    I was curious because I have someone shipping me a 1990 SG Reissue.
    They say it's a 61 Reissue and I was thinking it might actually be a 62 Reissue because of the year.

8. dylumph

dylumph New Member

I've got a Custom Shop SG I bought brand new at Sam Ash in 09. It has the small pickguard, Les Paul on the truss rod cover,VOS finish, burstbucker PUs and cherry finish. I don't know what to call it. 61,62 reissue? Alls I know is its a great guitar!

9. Daniele

Daniele New Member

Is my 1988 SG a 62RI or 61RI?

I have an SG from 88, dark cherry red, equipped with The Original HB-L, HB-R circuitboard pickups. I am not sure if it is a 62 Reissue or one of the first 61 Reissue. The measured neck profiles are reported in the attached pic.
    The neck has a round profile with thickness of 20mm at 1st fret and 22.3mm at 12th fret. Neck width at 1st fret is 44mm.
    By the way, what's the difference in heel between 61 and 61?
    Who can help defining which model my SG is???
    Thanks for your reply,
    Daniele

Attached Files:

10. Dave

Dave Well-Known Member

I have a 1986 SG62 and 1990 Reissue.
    The 1990 is right at the transitional era so I don't know if it's technically a 62 or 61 reissue.

They are both GREAT guitars.
    Very minor differences.
    The 86 has the tuning keys held in by bushings, the 90 uses nuts.
    The 86 neck feels ever so slightly larger but barely.

My 1990 has a Nashville bridge with the posts going into threaded inserts but I've been told by several people that someone must have had it modded. Should have come with an ABR-1 bridge.
    The 86 has an ABR-1.

The 90 was my main guitar but I had my 86 refretted with jumbo stainless steel frets and it's been my #1 ever since.
    The 1990 comes to the gigs as a backup. Other than that it just sits in it's case.

1986 is the first year of the reissues and I've heard may people refer to them the best of the reissues and being their favorite.

I wanted one SO BAD when they first came out but I couldn't afford it.
    I remember the ad in the guitar mags with Angus Young.
    When one came up used last year I jumped on it.

The 1986 62 reissue is on top in this pic.
    The 1990 reissue is the bottom one.

[​IMG]

Moose likes this.
  11. Daniele

Daniele New Member

Hi Dave,
    Thanks for your reply. Your SGs look indeed almost identical. I see some difference in the pickguard: the bottom right horn is sharper in the 86, following more the wood profile).
    So, if I understood correctly you do not see any difference in the heel connection between the 86 and 90 SG? Which Pickups are you mounting on your 86 SG?
    By the way mine has Gibson Deluxe Tuners with the nut.

I recently fretted a handmade "Gretson-Les Penguin" (a mix between a Gretsch Black Penguin and a Gibson LP, see attached image) and a LPCustom from 75 with jumbo stainless steel frets and I am also very happy with the results.

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

12. Dave

Dave Well-Known Member

HA!
    I just realized that I posted the original post last year and then replied to it this morning.

DOH!

13. Dave

Dave Well-Known Member

The heel construction is nearly identical on both.

The 89 has Dimarzion 36th Anniversary PUs. They are wired to Duncan Triple Shot mounting rings for coil splitting.
    They sound great.

14. stdio

stdio Member

Daniele, I have the same guitar as well, except it's from '86 like Dave's in the previous post. There is a catalog shot on this site at

SG Guitar Forum | 1986

My neck profile looks like it's about the same as yours, it's .789" @ 1st and .872" @ 12th. Mine has the Tim Shaw PAFs. The SG-62 had the Bill Lawrence pickups from '88-'89 I think.

Sometime in the '90s, the necks on the renamed model ('61 reissue) got a little wider. I don't know which year exactly, but do I know it was done by 1997, because I used to have a '97 '61 reissue. The recent ones are also wider, because I briefly had a 2011 '61 reissue and it was about 3/64" wider up the whole board.

15. Daniele

Daniele New Member

Hee Dave, I am also thinking of changing those Original HB-L, HB-R as I wanna go more in the PAF direction. So you're happy with the Dimarzio 36th, I understand.
    I heard also very good stuff from the Shed PAF Daddy's...
    I have a Bare Knuckle Black Dog bridge to try out but I am afraid it'll too punchy with the Alnico V and its 9.5kohm...

Hi Stdio, thanks for your reply too, good info..By the way are you happy with your Tim Shaw Pickups? I have a LP Custom 1975 with original pickups. Perhaps they're Tim Shaw's PAF. I could try them in my SG to get an idea.

16. stdio

stdio Member

Hi, the Shaw pickups are great, they were Gibson's first attempt to recreate the early PAFs. Most likely, your '75 LP Custom has T-tops, which were standard at the time. If the pickup covers are off, you can see a "T" on one of the bobbins.

58pit likes this.
  17. Moose

Moose Well-Known Member

Bottom cutaway looks deeper on the '62

18. Dave

Dave Well-Known Member

Very happy with the Dimarzios.
    Very PAFish.

19. Dave

Dave Well-Known Member

I never really noticed but I think you're right.
    Definitely looks deeper in the pic.
    I'll take a look at the guitars tomorrow.

20. Daniele

Daniele New Member

I found out (from the MyLesPaul forum) that the 80's 62RI had a bigger heel and long tennon like the SG Historic 62RI:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    This heel is for sure bigger than the one on my guitar. I haven't checked the tennon yet...
    Dave, how do your SGs heel look like?