61 vs 62 reissue.

Discussion in 'Gibson SG' started by Dave, Feb 21, 2012.

1. Daniele

Daniele New Member

Also found this pic of an SG 86 (I checked the serial number) also with a small heel...
    This means that already from 86 Gibson was doing 61RI...or something between 61RI and 62RI!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 29, 2013
  2. Dave

Dave Well-Known Member

The heels on both of my guitars look like this one.

3. Daniele

Daniele New Member

So perhaps your SGs, like mine, are also more a 61RI than a 62RI...

4. stdio

stdio Member

The '62 reissues have bevels that aren't deep enough. Also, the controls (p/u selector and pots) sit closer to the edge of the guitar than they're supposed to.

This bothers people that worry about historical accuracy. I'm glad it bothers them, because you can still get these awesome vintage Gibsons for a good price.

I posted this before, but here's a shot of my neck joint, it's a little different too.

[​IMG]

5. Dave

Dave Well-Known Member

Not sure how that could be as mine is a 1986, the first year of the 62 Reissues.

6. Daniele

Daniele New Member

Mine has the same tenon as yours but with HCH written on it (which I guess it means Heritage Cherry...).
    I am coming to the conclusion that there were a lot of in-between models even in the 86. Small heels, big heels, short lip, long lip, control position...I saw a few 86 labelled as 62RI but with many differences from the original 62.
    Mine (88) has the stepped small heel (61) but controls close to the edge of the guitar (62), neck profile like your SG (62) and HB-L HB-R (61RI)....

Last edited: Feb 1, 2013
  7. stdio

stdio Member

Maybe the problem is that these pics aren't of an '80s '62 reissue, and MyLesPaul has some wrong info. Another giveaway that it's not a '62 reissue is that the neck joint on the back is sanded flat, which wasn't done on these.

8. Dave

Dave Well-Known Member

Yeah, not sure what that is but it's not like any reissue I've seen.

9. Daniele

Daniele New Member

The pics posted above are of a 2006 VOS SG/LesPaul Historic 62 Reissue. So I guess this guitar must feature the specs of a 62. And perhaps the 86-88 Reissues were not really VOS.
    What do you think?

10. Dave

Dave Well-Known Member

I owned an origina 1961 SG/Les Paul Standard for many years.
    My 62 Reissue's heel is just like what was on my original 61.

11. Daniele

Daniele New Member

OK, here is a pic of an original 1962:

http://www.larkstreetmusic.com/list/pict/SsgLpblock.jpg

You'll see that the neck-body connection in the back features a body ledge. In general from late 60 and beginning 61 the SG didnt have the smooth heel either , they were stepped like a 62.
    Here some more info on the heel topic:

http://www.everythingsg.com/forum/vintage-sg/19626-super-rare-vintage-sg.html

I've never seen a 86-88 SG 62RI with that ledge extending out of where the step is or with a smooth heel...have you?

12. stdio

stdio Member

Nope, plus I think all the recent Historic and VOS ones are smooth, but I am not 100% certain. Gibson must have made some recent ones with the step, but I can't point to where or when.

Oddly enough, my 2007 MIJ Epi '61 reissue (I think official model name is 61-SG LQ) has the step. It's like an honorary Gibson, but the lacquer ain't perfect. I guess they're just experts in poly finishes, over there...

13. Daniele

Daniele New Member

I think we can conclude that:
    -the 86-88 62RI have a stepped heel without body ledge like the original 60 and 61
    -the original 62 had a stepped heel with body ledge.
    -recent 62 reissues (historic, etc) have a smooth heel, with the body ledge being part of the heel.
    Also the 86-88 62RI have "soft, not so pronounced" bevels like the original 62. A friend has a 67 and the bevels are very pronounced giving the feeling of big horns but in fact the dimensions are the same.

14. stdio

stdio Member

I don't know about this last point, namely that the original '62 had "soft, not so pronounced" bevels. I don't think that's right, but haven't seen enough '62s to confirm or deny. The other mystery point is how many, or which, original early-60's SGs had the step, and which ones did not.

All I know is that everyone who is on an early-60's Gibson SG replica kick, they complain if their bevels aren't deep enough.

Maybe if this thread sits here long enough, someone will have an authoritative answer. (Or not, since the records may not even be there.)

15. Daniele

Daniele New Member

What do you mean with bevels not being deep enough? Perhaps that is what i mean with not being pronounced....

16. GTSG

GTSG Active Member

I never noticed a difference in the depth. The shape is a give, can't help but notice. Whatever neck profile they used last, I like.

That said I like the neck joint of the last Standards, and body shape better, call me crazy.

17. GTSG

GTSG Active Member

Your talking shape of the horns? Can you post photo's, would love to see the SG.

18. stdio

stdio Member

Yes was talking about the bevel depth on the horns, here's an old shot of my '86 SG-62. The carve on the horns themselves aren't as deep as the originals. Like on the lower horn, the angled carve (bevel) doesn't extend all the way to the pickguard.

I wasn't referring to neck profiles or anything. I know it's easy to get misunderstood here (there was this old thread where I was talking about my neck flexing based on weather changes, and people were thinking I flexed my as some sort of vibrato or something :))

[​IMG]

19. GusYoung

GusYoung Member

All these are 1989 '62 reissues. Mine is the last photo- the others were professionally done and give good angles to see the beautiful beveling of that period. Has the ABR-1 Bridge, Bill Lawrence HB's with circuit board backing came stock that year. The tenon goes halfway through the neck pup cavity, and there is the stepped neck joint- not smooth. The '62 RI became '61 RI's after 1991. Mine, as aforementioned, is 6 3/4 Lbs. Bloody beautiful guitar.:thumb: I have no idea how to post a picture into the frame without having to click a hyperlink.

Attached Files:

stdio likes this.
  20. GusYoung

GusYoung Member

almost there..