61 vs 62 reissue.

Discussion in 'Gibson SG' started by Dave, Feb 21, 2012.

1. GusYoung

GusYoung Member

And for the record I swapped out my wiring harness for all 550k pots, and dime size ceramic caps with 50's wiring & 57 classic/ 57 classic +, and I reaaaaallly dont care for the pickups at all. I guess I'm the odd man out....but that will be another post. peace

2. jojo68

jojo68 Active Member

Nice

3. stdio

stdio Member

Beautiful guitars, I'm using photobucket, and needed to sign up for an account. Then in photobucket libarary, I click on the IMG link within my photobucket library, to do cut and paste into ETSG message.

Ever do A/B between the Bill Lawrence pups and other Gibson pups? Not sure if people are just turned off by look of the circuit board, or if there are any noticeable differences.

4. GusYoung

GusYoung Member

the thing i love the most about these postings is the ability to create an information catalogue, piece by piece, about each year of our guitars, for posterity. it is like we are all together compiling one grand SG book, of which we are all the authors, to share information of the heritage of these guitars. personally, i am extremely grateful for everyone who has posted information which has helped me gain a more well rounded knowledge of this instrument.... ****, now im sounding like a hippy.....but its true

5. BLAM

BLAM New Member

Pic of my 88

[​IMG]

John61 and GusYoung like this.
  6. ayan

ayan New Member

A couple of thoughts. One is that my experience with Classic 57 pickups has been all over the map, so I suppose every pick up can be very different. But, once thing I'll say is that I believe the 57s sound better with 300K pots than with 500K ones. There is a spike in the high end that gets emphasized with the higher value pots... You can do this test very easily: put a "660K" (not a stock value you will find, but the the closest thing you can get or use a 1 Meg pot and dial it to 660K) resistor in parallel with the 500K pot to bring the equivalent resistance down to 300K... and listen to the difference. You may find the 57s sound better that way, in which case you could consider changing back the two volume pots to the original 300K ones.

Cheers,

Gil

7. GusYoung

GusYoung Member

You nailed it, Gil! That is exactly the problem- the high end is ice-pick spiky in an almost muddy-bright way, and i definitely don't get the balanced range from lows to highs- Funny how I thought upgrading my wiring harness would work magic when in fact it is the cause of the problem. If i did a straight swap of the pots would I be going to 300k for all volume and tone pots? If I am understanding you, i can add a resistor to the harness as an alternative to replacing the pots, but where would the resistors be soldered, and on which pots?
    My alternative is to swap pups back to my seymore duncan sh6's in the hoe that would also solve the problem?

I have to say thank you very much as you identified my problem spot-on, even before i described it!:applause:

8. ayan

ayan New Member

On the pots, I believe the tone pots when using humbuckers should always be 500K audio taper. I meant that the volume pots could perhaps be changed back to 300K linear to better complement the classic 57s. This particular pairing of 500K tone pots and 300K volume pots is the stock configuration on almost all production Gibsons and have been for decades, by the way. [Of course, there are and have been exceptions, and most Historics use 500K across the board.]

As far as adding the resistor in parallel to the pots as a permanent fix, contrary to what some folks say, that just doesn't work out because the taper of the pot is entirely compromised. However, a 550K pot in parallel with a 660K resistor (i.e., connect the resistor across the outer lugs of the pot) will have an equivalent resistance of 300K WHEN THE POT IS TURNED ALL THE WAY UP. So what I suggest is that you play the guitar and then, using alligator clips across the outer lugs of the volume pot, place a "660K" resistor (or, more practically, a 1 Meg pot dialed to that value) in parallel with your 550K volume pot. The sound will be a bit darker and it may make the 57s sound better for you; easy to go back and forth and really get a feel for the difference. If you like this and you think it'd make the 57s work for you, you would then have to permanently replace the 550K audio pots with 300K linear ones. Many people say that 500K make things sound "better," and many outfits sell kits and harnesses that will "restore your lost tone," etc. None of those folks are totally unbiased and we could talk about this after market phenomenon in another thread. Bottom line is that the people that sell stuff want to, well, sell their stuff, and in most cases the folks making the recommendation have spent money on a mod and don't want to feel lonely. Don't get me wrong, I replaced the 300K linear volume pots in my 335 with 500K ones and I like the sound better, but that guitar was dark sounding to begin with. Some folks that say that Gibson is tone deaf for putting 300K volume pots in their guitars, while I think sometimes that may just be the ticket.

I have no experience with the Duncan set you mention... also, I think sometimes individual sets of pickups need to be matched to individual guitars. Some pickups sound great in one guitar and not so much in another.

As for "identifying your problem," I guess we encounter a few things along the way if we tinker long enough. Also, I like being a "complete unknown" to this board. :)

Cheers,

Gil

GusYoung likes this.
  9. Daniele

Daniele New Member

When I wanna try out a new pickup: I test the pickup connecting it directly to the output jack. This allows me to have a baseline. Thereafter I put a pot in between and I hear how that influence the original (no pot) pickup output (signal). The pot can make it sound worse or better to your ears. You can try easily pots with different resistance using alligator clips as Gil said.

10. purpleplexi

purpleplexi Active Member

I got a 62 when they first came out in the 80s. I thought they came out before 1986. Mine had shaw pickups. Remember when they put the little paf sticker on the pickup rings? My 62 ri had these as well as the 83 lespaul 59 ri that they now call a prehistoric.

11. Dave

Dave Well-Known Member

Well I finally got my questioned answered.
    I didn't know if my 1990 was an SG-62 or a 61 Reissue.
    The other day I opened the ziplock baggie that was in the case and it had the original warranty card in it and the model listed is "SG-62" purchased on 12/12/1990 from Dave Phillips Music & Sound.
    Sounds like it was a Christmas Gift purchase.

12. Dave

Dave Well-Known Member

My 1986 originally had the Bill Lawrence circuit board PUs.
    I thought they sounded fine but they squealed at higher volume.
    I normally would have just wax dipped them but I was hesitant because of the circuit board.

I replaced them with a set of Dimarzio 36th Anniversary PUs and absolutely LOVE them.

My 1990 has the 57 Classic & Classic+ set.
    They sound great also but I prefer the Dimarzios.
    The Dimarzio neck PU is one of the best neck humbuckers I've ever played thru.
    Smooth tones with no muddiness.
    I never thought the 57 was muddy until I tried the Dimarzio. Now I hear a little "woofiness" on the low E.
    None of that with the Dimarzio.

The 57+ in the bridge sounds great. Has the classic Gibson bite with a high end sizzle.
    Kind of like AC/DC's Back in Black.

The Dimarzio 36th sounds warmer & fatter.
    Kind of like early Billy Gibbons & ZZ Top.

13. Stereoqube

Stereoqube New Member

Opinions

Hey,

I bought this sg last year being told it was as follows.

1991 Gibson sg 61-reissue with Bill lawrence pickups and factory kahler trem.

I posted a pick online and somebody has suggested it may be a 62RI.

Serial says its a 1991 just not sure on 61 or 62..... Looking at the pick guard it suggests a 61 but doubt has been cast in my mind and i'm not qualified enough to know any better tbh. also i was under the impression that any factory kahler was stamped Gibson but mine is stamped Kahler, another doubt.... any input would be greatly appreciated

thanks,

Daz[​IMG]

14. sshan2525

sshan2525 Active Member

Daz, l rould say that yours is a '62 RI based on the switch position and shallow bevels.

15. PermissionToLand

PermissionToLand Well-Known Member

Was there actually any difference with the Historic Guitar Center '62 RIs? Most Custom Shops I can find pics of seem to have a bigger heel like that, and the tenon doesn't seem particularly long in the previously posted picture. According to one serial number reference, mine may be a '62 but IDK what to think.

16. Tenderplums

Tenderplums New Member

Hi, this may be off topic but can anyone help me get the spec for my used SG? . All I have is the serial number and the guitardater site has told me the year of manufacture

17. Moleman

Moleman New Member

I have a 1994 '62 reissue in ebony that is really wonderful. It says 'custom shop edition' on the back of the headstock.

Attached Files:

lcw likes this.
  18. Gibbo SG

Gibbo SG Active Member

I've seen photographs of 1960 Gibson SGs, pictures wherein the guitar was so classically, so gracefully sculpted that they frightened me as a child. Now I own four. HOW DO I post photos?