65 or 66 Gibson SG Standard Pelham Blue...Value?

Discussion in 'Vintage SG' started by Bocatrip, Oct 17, 2019.

1. Bocatrip

Bocatrip Member

Does anyone happen to know what Vintage Guitar Guide places as a value for a 65 or 66 Gibson SG standard in custom color Pelham Blue? I was just wondering if someone had a recent guide. The guitar is in Pristine Original Cond. Thanks all.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2019
    DrBGood likes this.
  2. Voxman

Voxman Moderator Staff Member

That's a rare find in that color. If it is pristine w/a nice original case you are talking good $$$! There was a collector in France who was interested in one but that was a while ago, thou he did have deep pockets. Look on Ebay, Reverb or search the net. A chain store is not a good place to go but a vintage guitar dealer is better BUT he will have to make $$$ on it too. Search the net for another and you'll see.

Bocatrip likes this.
  3. Voxman

Garys guitars in Ohio has a 66' w/ very little wear, red in near perfect nic for 10K …

4. Bocatrip

Bocatrip Member

Thanks Voxman. I haven't been able to find another Pelham Blue to compare it to. I'm just curious as to what Vintage Guitars has it listed for. That is if they have Pelham Blue in their book at all.

5. Voxman

Your not going to find one since it was so limited, that's the beauty of the whole thing! Great investment if one is into that.

6. Herbie74w

Herbie74w Active Member

The last one I heard about was sold for over 25k and it was a 1965.

7. Herbie74w

Herbie74w Active Member

8. Logan

Logan Well-Known Member

Also, if you could get us some pics, we'd all be happy to look at them and it would give us an idea of how mint it is (to better help give an estimate). I'd be happy to give you one, as I do work at a music store (and am the store's vintage guitar expert), but it won't be anything official.

DrBGood and Astral Traveler like this.
  9. Bocatrip

Bocatrip Member

Logan....I already have a few pictures posted on this forum from 2007. The thread was titled "65 or 66 SG Standard".

10. PixMix

PixMix Well-Known Member

These are the images that have survived in the original thread.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Bettyboo, Gahr and Bocatrip like this.
  11. papagayo

papagayo Well-Known Member

12. Logan

Logan Well-Known Member

I can see why you'd date it to a '66, with it having the skinny nut width, but, truth be told, just like the 335s, they started slimming down the nut width in '65 and by the end of '65 all the guitars had the slim nut width. Without seeing serial numbers and pot codes I would date it to late '65 or very early '66. Unlike most transitions at Gibson at that time, the batwings came in really, really early in the year, so there is not too many of the small guard '66s.

Recently, the mint cherry '65s and very early '66s with the skinny but width have been on the market and sold for in between $9k and $12k. For a custom color (especially a desirable one like Pelham blue), people are usually able to double the sale price. So a reasonable estimate for that particular guitar would be $20,000 to $25,000 depending on the year someone bought that, or how strong the market is at the time.

Hope this helped.
    Edit: Remember, this is in no way an official appraisal. I would still take it down to your local shop if you wanted to get it insured or to sell it.

Bocatrip likes this.
  13. Bocatrip

Bocatrip Member

I have decided to edit the title of the thread to read 65 or 66 SG Standard Pelham Blue..Value? Thank you PixMix for transferring my pictures from the older thread to the present one. Thank you Logan for your feedback. Considering the guitar has never been played or used in decades, the condition remains the same as those pictures. About 10 years ago, I was told by a vintage guitar aficionado that it could be either a 65 or 66 but more than likely a 65. It has all the characteristics of the very early SGs, and the Pots are also dated 65. The serial number does not match anything on the serial number lists (552583). As you can see from the pictures the guitar is pretty much in Museum condition. I have all the tags that came with the guitar when new from the factory. I purchased it at Sam Ash. It was only played a few times in 53 years. When I open the case I can still smell the paint.

PermissionToLand, Logan and PixMix like this.
  14. Herbie74w

Herbie74w Active Member

If it has the 1 9/16 nut width it may go for a little less. The one in the link has the 1 5/8 nut. Why has it not been played?

15. Bocatrip

Bocatrip Member

I had a band in College, Lost interest and it remained in the family ever since. I believe the neck size is 1 5/8.

16. Herbie74w

Herbie74w Active Member

That’s good. It looks beautiful.

17. Bocatrip

Bocatrip Member

Thanks. It's condition is just as I purchased it new at the Sam Ash Store. I was told at the time (although I wanted Cherry) they were sold out. However, someone ordered a custom color (Pelham Blue). The customer never came to pick it up, and so it was offered to me. As a 15 years old kid (and being so anxious) I said yes! I'd take anything at that time but wanted the SG Standard only. The rest is history. It turns out there were very few ordered from the factory in Pelham Blue.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2019
    PermissionToLand likes this.
  18. zhivago

zhivago New Member

Very cool and very rare guitar indeed, that should go for big money...Norm's Rare Guitars had two of these in a few years back...maybe they were from the same batch as this one...here's the two videos they did on them... :)

Bocatrip likes this.
  19. Bocatrip

Bocatrip Member

Thanks Zhivago. I remember viewing that video. When were those videos made?

zhivago likes this.
  20. Herbie74w

Herbie74w Active Member

The second one they had at norms is the same guitar that I linked to above and that owner said he paid around 25k.

zhivago likes this.