65 or 66 SG Standard

Discussion in 'Vintage SG' started by Bocatrip, Jun 23, 2007.

1. Bocatrip

Bocatrip Member

Sorry guys, I'm not good at this, at least I got one up and running.

2. ESSER

ESSER Active Member

On the photobucket site there are three links under every pic you upload there. You need to COPY the bottom one. that is the one with the IMG tags already attatched and PASTE that directly here in the reply box. no need for insert picture thing in the box here.

Just paste the bottom link here to show pic in post. good luck!

3. Bocatrip

Bocatrip Member

[​IMG]IMG]http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d69/Bocatrip/100_0196.jpg[/IMG][​IMG]

4. Bocatrip

Bocatrip Member

5. ESSER

ESSER Active Member

Thats a large control cavity. I am trying to check what year they changed over.

Very very nice guitar there. :)

6. Bocatrip

Bocatrip Member

[quote author=ESSER link=topic=14023.msg181668#msg181668 date=1182723741]
    Thats a large control cavity. I am trying to check what year they changed over.

Very very nice guitar there.  :)
    [/quote]

Thank you ESSER............Whatever info you can give would be greatly appreciated. After 40 years I would like to know something about my guitar.

7. ESSER

ESSER Active Member

hi Boca.

Flicking through my pics here i have found what is reportedly (according to the filename) a 65, and it has the small cavity. see pic. Im still not sure that it makes yours a 66 because although there is a change over year, there are many examples of overlapping features.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. Bocatrip

Bocatrip Member

Esser, Thanks for that info, however, considering that the file was "reportedly" a 65, and considering that there were changes that were not all carried over at the same time, I would still need something more definitive to know the exact year. Don't you think?

9. ESSER

ESSER Active Member

For sure matey. With a guitar as nice as that, it is surely the only move to make.

How about emailing Gibson? Or have you already done that? If not, they have been known to be extremely helpful regarding tracing of a guitars DOB.

Unfortunaltey as has already been mentioned Gibbo (Gibson to us) ;) ;D has notoriety for losing or not keeping records from that period. Either way they pooped on their own shovel, and unless someone can say with certainty about a certain feature or de-code the Serial No. with assured accuracy, I think its possible that the quest to find if it's a 65/66 may prove elusive.

10. TNT

TNT Active Member

Holey Moley that's beautiful! :Droolin: :coolsmiley:
    George Gruhn could appraise it for you for a fee. He might just give you an opinion on the year for free though. it couldn't hurt to ask! I would believe him before I believed Gibson because Gibson really doesn't know about their history as far as specifics like CC changeovers.
    http://www.gruhn.com/

11. Bocatrip

Bocatrip Member

I have not contacted Gibson. I just sent an email to the Gibson customer service site. Let's see what they have to say if anything. I still don't understand why the serial number does not show up anywhere.

12. Bocatrip

Bocatrip Member

Thanks for all the feedback guys.. :) :) :)

13. ESSER

ESSER Active Member

Cool. Let us know ;)

14. randyrhoadslives13

randyrhoadslives13 Member

that guitar is beutiful......

15. everdying

everdying Well-Known Member

16. Bocatrip

Bocatrip Member

[quote author=everdying link=topic=14023.msg181767#msg181767 date=1182794019]
    there is a seller on ebay now with a pelham blue special for sale.
    his description says pelham blue was a custom color for 1966.
    how accurate he is i have no idea :p

http://cgi.ebay.com/1966-Gibson-SG-...yZ118991QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

anyway, how did you manage to keep a 40yr old guitar still looking so nice and shiny?
    [/quote]

Thank you........The reason the guitar looks so good after all this time is simply because I have major OCD!!! That's good for the guitar and bad for me. I've played the guitar a handful of times in the late 60s in a band and then it was put away pretty much for good. To this day, when I open the case it has a distinct smell as it did when it was new. I took this guitar to Sam Ash around 1993 to have it restringed (which I ended up not doing) and the sales staff gathered around to check out the color and originality. After removing one pickup, they hounded me to sell it to them, so I left with my guitar. I only recently put some liquid glass (polish) on it for the pictures. I have a picture somewhere with my daughter when she was 5 holding it in her lap. That might be harder to find than the actual year of my guitar.

17. everdying

everdying Well-Known Member

well, as has been mentioned before.

there are 2 more numbers on your pot codes that you didnt list, which state the week the pots were made.
    i guess you can safely say its a '65 if those 2 numbers are around 25 or below.

18. Bocatrip

Bocatrip Member

[quote author=everdying link=topic=14023.msg181784#msg181784 date=1182804496]
    well, as has been mentioned before.

there are 2 more numbers on your pot codes that you didnt list, which state the week the pots were made.
    i guess you can safely say its a '65 if those 2 numbers are around 25 or below.

[/quote]

Here are all the numbers off one of the pots, these numbers are all on one pot..... AT-13765 CBA-811-1053 500K

19. TNT

TNT Active Member

137 is the code for CTS,the manufacturer of the pots.
    65 is the year they were made.
    There should be two numbers after that for the week.

20. Bocatrip

Bocatrip Member

[quote author=TNT link=topic=14023.msg181802#msg181802 date=1182811131]
    137 is the code for CTS,the manufacturer of the pots.
    65 is the year they were made.
    There should be two numbers after that for the week.
    [/quote]

I thought that might be the case, so I looked again today. Unfortunately, the only pots that are accesible without disturbing the wires have solder on them right after the number 65. I did not want to screw around with it unecessarily any further and I would certainly not try to tamper with the solder or wires to satisfy my curiousity. Thanks for that info anyway. Again I will say this, why are serial numbers issued if they are worthless?