70/71 Gibson SG w/Maestro Vibrola

Discussion in 'Member Classifieds' started by ThatDamnSG, Feb 9, 2018.

1. ThatDamnSG

ThatDamnSG Member

I have this listed on Reverb as well but obviously I can negotiate better on a private sale here. $2400 or best reasonable offer. Please don't offer trades, I'm only looking to sell. Please refer to the Reverb link above for a full description. Please email me directly at sixstringzombie@gmail.com if seriously interested.

[​IMG]

Pictures here:

https://imgur.com/a/2buUA

bwotw, SG standard and syscokid like this.
  2. syscokid

syscokid Well-Known Member

Wow... :wow:

ThatDamnSG likes this.
  3. ThatDamnSG

ThatDamnSG Member

I've gotten a LOT of questions about this SG. After looking at the original harness and pots it's been determined this is definitely a 1971. I never bothered looking before, loved the guitar and didn't care. Apparently the difference between a 70 and a 71 is very important to some (coughcoughtirekickerscough). After looking today and cleaning a little of old solder off, the pot codes are dated 7th week 1971. See picture below.

The neck is a slim late 60's profile. 1 9/16 at the nut, 2 1/4 at the last fret.

[​IMG]

4. Col Mustard

Col Mustard Well-Known Member

I'd say it's a transitional guitar... it looks like a 1970 SG Standard, with the
    trapezoids and the batwing p/g. Gibson was sold to Norlin in 1969, and by
    1971 Norlin had eliminated the SG standard and substituted the SG deluxe with
    a completely different look, and with a Bigsby instead of the Maestro.

This one's got small '70s style bevels and '60s style inlays, Maestro and p/g.
    So I'm suggesting this one was made while Gibson bosses were changing the
    factory over to produce '70s style guitars.

Pretty unique...

ThatDamnSG likes this.
  5. ThatDamnSG

ThatDamnSG Member

Yeah, transitional is what I've always thought as well. Definitely from the end of that 60's style with the big guard and Maestro. I'm calling it as a '71 because that's what the pot codes are dated, and that's what all the sticklers asking all the tire kicky questions are calling it ;)

6. Col Mustard

Col Mustard Well-Known Member

I think the reason people get fussy about the details is that there are
    so many fake Gibsons being offered by swindlers.

Compound that by adding in the confusing serial numbers from this time period,
    right after Gibson was taken over by a corporation that knew nothing of Gibson's
    heritage or traditions... Norlin only wanted to cash in on the Guitar boom.

Prior to the Norlin takeover, Gibson serial numbers are well documented, and
    the instruments are easy to verify. This adds to their value, and it adds a straightforward
    aspect to any deal.

During the Norlin years, Gibson serial numbering system was changed for arbitrary reasons
    that make no sense nearly fifty years later. So guitars from this time period are questionable.
    If their details are easy to verify, then well and good. If the details seem unusual or
    inconsistent with other guitars of the period, then red flags go up.

When Norlin decided to change the SG design, the workers on the factory floor were likely
    told to keep building guitars, using whatever parts were left in inventory. I 've taken some
    good photos of a 1971 Gibson SG Deluxe (which replaced the Standard for a short time).

It looks like this:
    upper bout@100.jpg

body close@100.jpg
    body low oblique@100.jpg
    So you can see why many observers would ask questions.
    If you say yours is a 1971, and we all know that 1971 SGs looked like this one,
    then what...

But we also know that 1970 Gibson SG standards looked like yours. Hence the
    term "transitional." I feel that yours was built during the changeover.

7. cerebral gasket

cerebral gasket Well-Known Member

I agree on transitional guitar.

You could have a guitar build that was started late 1970 and completed early to mid 1971 using pots from 1971.

The same but reversed could happen in other cases where a guitar was built in 1970 and leftover pots from 1969 were used.

They probably didn’t put much thought back then into organizing pots by date codes or concerned about people trying to date guitars decades later by these features.

I had a transitional SG Standard for a brief time that had a 1969 headstock logo with open o and b, missing dot over the i. There was no volute or Made in USA stamp. It had 1970 pots.

All the 1969 SG that I have handled in the past happened to have the baseball bat necks which included Juniors, Specials, Standards. Some folks who are fussy about necks might be knowledgeable enough to know which years had the baseball bat necks and which ones had the Slim Taper.

Inquiring about the year could be they are more interested in what kind of neck profile to expect and not so much concerned about other features such as bevels, headstock logos, volutes, etc.

8. ThatDamnSG

ThatDamnSG Member

Thanks...very familiar with the 70's Norlin's after the transition. I own a few, including the one in my profile pic (a '73) and I've had a Deluxe like that one with the Bigsby.

9. ThatDamnSG

ThatDamnSG Member

This guitar is now sold, via another forum, pending payment.